Run home tactics - league win

Discussion in 'AFL' started by towerg, Jun 30, 2011.

1. towerg

towerg New Member

Hi Guys,

Long time reader - first time poster.

I'd be interested in advice RE tactics for the run home. I'm in 2 cash leagues - outright 1st in one and just inside the 8 in the other.

I have 21 of 22 premiums with 8 trades left and 160k in the kitty (this includes still having sandi with petie as a "non-premium" ruck back up).

The run home (including finals) sees me having to cover midfield premiums for 3 rounds, backs for 2 rounds, rucks for 4 rounds (keeping sandi) and forwards for 2 rounds.

Instead of saving the trades for finals or making rash trades now to cover premiums in tough games - i was thinking of trading in an M7 and F8 premium. This would cost me 4 trades but I could then field a 21/22 team for the rest of the season (baring more than 4 disasters) - saving the final upgrade (B7) for the finals.

I was think of bringing in Cross for M7 (he is so cheap and no other dogs in the mids for his bye). Not sure on F8.

Sorry if this was long winded - any thoughts for TS supercoaches much appreciated.

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Not longwinded mate! And great to have you onboard posting.

I would love to have same luxurious decisions to make as you do! I'm struggling in 2 of my leagues - and they are probably the 2 that are most important as well - I gotta win all 4 remaing league games in both just to have a slight chance of making finals! Lol

Anyway, It's a great discussion point you raise.
    I reckon it's a great idea that you have, and definitely worth doing - but fwiw, i would leave it to as late as you can. If the players you bring in get injured, or more pressing concerns come up, you will be less likely to be cought out if you hold off a few weeks.

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from anthak on June 29, 2011, 19:34

I reckon it's a great idea that you have, and definitely worth doing - but fwiw, i would leave it to as late as you can. If the players you bring in get injured, or more pressing concerns come up, you will be less likely to be cought out if you hold off a few weeks.</blockquote>

Contrary to that - if you make the upgrades early, you may still have enough trades come finals to fix up any spanners thrown at your team.

Playing devils avocado with myself up on the fence I am!

4. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

towerg - I think what anthak is trying to say is that he has absolutely no idea!

Personally, I've gone down the MPP path, so I basically have a full team, and then when someone goes down I just move everyone around until I get to the team that I think will earn the most points in any given week. Its been working well enough for me, but I keep looking at making an extra trade or two so I can bring in a "more premium" player to those I already have!

I'm guessing that if you can fill your team up with D1-8 scoring 90+ each week, M1-7 scoring 110+ each week, and F1-8 scoring 95+ each week, you'll have enough cover for most eventualities (unless you get killed with injuries). My tip is: go for glory mate! Get the best possible team you can!!!!

good luck ;)

5. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

@towerg, not knowing who you have in your team at the moment, you should have a look at who is playing in league finals and who you think can carve it up. That's why I like Sylvia for your F8 and Mitchell for you mids (if you don't already have them) I assume you got onto the I.Smith train like the rest of us.. who knows, he may just remain a keeper!

6. adeelite

adeelite New Member

towerg,

I am in the same boat as you. Top of my important leagues with a full team.

I am bringing in Chapman to sit on my bench as my mid and forward floater, Petrie as my ruck floater and a defender/mid as well. I still have 8 trades left.

I am going to leave it until two weeks before the finals. As anthak said if you bring them in early and they get injured you're screwed.

If you get lucky with injuries I think 24 trades is too many. My only injuries have been Sandi and Adcock but I haven't traded them out and it seems to have paid off so far.

7. Fez

Fez Moderator

Tower, use a couple of trades to improve your depth but leave 4 trades for finals

8. towerg

towerg New Member

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

I brought in chappy and Sylvia a while ago to MPP with smith and mzungu when required. Problem is that they are both doing so well it's hard to justify not having then in the fwd line as permanents.

Love the idea of going for glory. Makes sense really - you need a bit of luck to win this game. My only other conundrum is the performance of some of my premiums. In a perfect world - I'd have 2-4 trades to upgrade poor performing premiums into pod's during finals.