Potential Expat League ~

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Simonoz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Squiddy, If you don't have cover then he has to go. I'd actually trade him irrespective of cover or not as one month out plus 500K sitting on the bench could seriously strengthen your team. If you have trades to boot, then maybe down up a couple of weeks and you'll possibly have a POD come finals but there is no guarantee he won't have a lingering negative effect when he comes back.

Pull the trigger and strengthen a line and raise the bar towards top 20!

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Reckon we should have a moratorium in Expats - everybody get rid of Sandi. Even if he does return about finals time, Freo have managed him terribly and he may only play on one leg.

Mind you, I haven't got him. Ha ha!

3. squidmanus

squidmanus New Member

Cheers J, yeah well I have cox and smith, and Petrie in the forwards with DPP to Joel Tippett. SO i think I will send Petrie into rucks for rest of the season with Smith as back up. then downgrade sandi to a non playing ruck and use the cash. IF only i did this when he first got injured!

4. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

Freo really panicked on Sandilands, bringing him back so early, especially with Griffin doing OK. Luckily I couln't afford to bring Sandi back in last week and still have the Griff in my side. Agree that Sandi must go but obviously no Cox either this week, with the bye.

5. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Squiddy, I don't know that it is worth sending him there for the rest of the season, Petrie that is.
    Smith is a more than capable ruck and I have the same combo and will be bringing Petrie straight back to the FWD's after Cox's bye.

If you have to downgrade, look at Hale or Bailey as I would think they will play weekly with the Hawthorn injury crisis which will nett a 250K windfall that you could then use to upgrade at least one cow, maybe one of the DEF to Fisher which would make a pretty formidable defensive line.

You may even have enough cash after that to turn Rioli into Buddy?

It is now or never though!

6. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

I have a question for everyone.

Are we going for highest individual & league position or individual league win?

These next few weeks will make or break the League win scenario and could kill the highest position rankings.

Or is it just do your best at both and let the SC gods take their shots?

I want to finish as high as I can but there is a good vibe here amongst the Expats and I'm sure bragging rights will be acknowledged for the whole off season.

7. TerryinBangkok

While we are all jostling to improve our individual ladder positions, hope we all try and get through the multi-byes with no donuts, otherwise our overall ranking may suffer. Not suggesting a trade, but might be worth taking a look now to see how you sit.

@Squiddy - consider Lobbe. Can work MPP with the Dish.

8. squidmanus

squidmanus New Member

i have cash leagues to think about so Im doing my trading considering multi round byes and who has games during SC finals. I still dont plan on eating any donuts though.

@J. do you think Smith would be an adequate 2nd ruck when sandi is back and your oponent has him but you dont?

9. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

@ Tibby, you would know best with Lobbe. Is he the incumbent? If so then he's an option.

@ Squiddy, I don't plan to trade any more rucks for the rest of the season. I know the best rucks have better avg than Fwds but getting the best on other lines plus the best MPP available with my remaining trades will be my plan of attack.

This week, it will be Rioli to Cloke (almost certain with Cloke's run home and byes out of the way) and maybe Chapman as M7/F? which would give me 6 genuine Prem mids (I believe Hodge will avg 115+ for the rest of the season) plus Chappy to swing between FWD and MID during the byes, settling in the FWD's at the end of the season.

10. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

@J. Not sure about Hodge doing that well. He struggles when tagged (but don't get me wrong. I do love him. Hawks genius) and he ceratainly will with Sewell and Lewis out.
    But I do need to replace watson so am thinking it would be good to get a Hawk in my line up while Rioli is out. So maybe Hodge. And having just survived riding my motorbike home through Cyclone Utter Bastard I am feeling quite lucky.
    Any other choices out there? I have about 500K to spend

As for the question about individual position or overall league position I'm with the league option. I'm 29th in league terms and 69,000th individually. So it's an easy choice.

11. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on June 29, 2011, 20:22
    While we are all jostling to improve our individual ladder positions, hope we all try and get through the multi-byes with no donuts, otherwise our overall ranking may suffer. Not suggesting a trade, but might be worth taking a look now to see how you sit.</blockquote>

sorry fellas, ive already buggered up my multibye weekends...
    Although I promise not to bring in any more players who have byes in rounds 16 & 19!

12. anthak

Actually, just had a look at the ticker and it's not as bad as I thought.

Looks like I'll end up with a donut in round 19 with 2 swans and 2 tigers in def. But I should be right apart from that.

13. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from HanoiHawks on June 29, 2011, 22:46
    @J. Not sure about Hodge doing that well. He struggles when tagged (but don't get me wrong. I do love him. Hawks genius) and he ceratainly will with Sewell and Lewis out.
    But I do need to replace watson so am thinking it would be good to get a Hawk in my line up while Rioli is out. So maybe Hodge. And having just survived riding my motorbike home through Cyclone Utter Bastard I am feeling quite lucky.

As for the question about individual position or overall league position I'm with the league option. I'm 29th in league terms and 69,000th individually. So it's an easy choice.</blockquote>

Hey mate, I'm obviously biased as well, but Hodge would be a good choice. Any hawk, cat, pie or saint would be good to consider I reckon. They all have good runs home for different reasons.

But I reckon your best two options are Sam Mitchell and Dane Swan. IMO one of them two if they fit in your budget.

14. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from anthak on June 29, 2011, 23:42
    <blockquote>Quote from HanoiHawks on June 29, 2011, 22:46

As for the question about individual position or overall league position I'm with the league option. I'm 29th in league terms and 69,000th individually. So it's an easy choice.</blockquote>

Hey mate, I'm obviously biased as well, but Hodge would be a good choice. Any hawk, cat, pie or saint would be good to consider I reckon. They all have good runs home for different reasons.

But I reckon your best two options are Sam Mitchell and Dane Swan. IMO one of them two if they fit in your budget. </blockquote>

Apologise for 4 posts in a row ... BUT I couldn't go without acknowledging that cyclone Neil! I was sad to leave vn so soon, but that was one aspect I was not looking forward to - the traffic in the crazy weather! I'm glad you got home safe and sound!

15. easty01

easty01 New Member

Expats up to 26th and rising - great stuff, guys.

Also, fine work by Squiddy last weekend.

Personally, my focus is on winning another league against a bunch of mates (last year I snuck into top 4 then rolled the leader in the PF - his only loss of the year! Won the GF the following week by about 500).

This time I'm undefeated in that league and hoping last year's leader doesn't return the favour at finals time, lol. It's all about winning via (as the Yanks would say) "shock and awe" so a bye product of that is helping our league to keep moving up the rankings.

For everyone still holding Sandi... time to pull the trigger. I have the Petrie/Tippett MPP package but there are more points to be had by bringing in another premium R2 and using Petrie in FWDs. Question is who to takes Sandi's place?

16. easty01

easty01 New Member

BTW, Anth - cheers for your feedback last week re: the Enright trade (posted elsewhere on the site), was a good call ;)

17. easty01

easty01 New Member

@Neil - I'd go Swan over Mitchell. Swan looked good first game back and has a much higher ceiling.

Mitchell, even when racking up 38 touches, doesn't seem to score as high in SC as DT.

18. TerryinBangkok

So, Cyclone Utter Bastard arrives early (thought it was due Round 16).

Please be aware good people salivating over the Walt Disney-like scores Mr. Hodge will produce - the Hawks have the bye in R17 - why on earth would you bring in another Hawk now?

Swan AND Ablett are essential for victory and Captain choice.

Re. Sandi. While he has to go, the decision is up or down. If the answer is up, then it is Goldstein, or McEvoy for a POD. If it is down, then Lobbe and Browne present reliable options as R3. With Brogan announcing his retirement (and being injured), future appearances should be cameos and Lobbe will take the bulk of the work to show if he has got what it takes (because, despite what you read in the press, a penniless club cannot afford a fancy new shiny functioning ruckman).

19. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

I couldn't afford Ablett so went Swan (he's so cheap at the moment). I have a very Collingwood team now. Really hate them but the players get lots of points.

@Ant - Cheers - It was a wild one. Felt like I was in the middle of some disaster movie.

20. TerryinBangkok

Bangkok copped the leftovers from the cyclone last night. Glad I didn't get the main course.

Everyone is starting to have very Collingwood teams now and they will look like Collingwood-Hawthorn after R17. It is in part a result of Geelong and Carlton having byes during the finals, otherwise I suspect the makeup might be a bit different.

Hope we all don't get exposed to General Soreness.