Dilemma for #wonguns!

Discussion in 'AFL' started by NumberWonGuns, Jul 5, 2011.

1. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Not sure whether it deserved a whole thread devoted to this but i'll take this chance to write about my trade dilemma i face and see what you guys can come up with as the best possible option. I have only one trade remaining for the year(thats right one!) with 512,900 in the kitty allowing me to bring in any player i want for any player traded out. My team is as follows: Deledio,Newman,Scotland,Gibbs,Goddard,Enright,Heppell,Hibberd,
    Delaney,Strauss
    Swan,Pendlebury,Judd,Hodge,Boyd,Cotchin,Jacobs,callinan,Helbig
    Cox,Smith,bailey,McCulloch
    O'Keefe,Goodes,Stevie J,Chapman,Fyfe,JRoo,Rioli,Lynch(G.C),
    Mzungu,Richardson. What i was wondering was how to and who to spend my last trade on?
    I was originally thinking Delaney out and Fisher in, effectively making my best
    22 as strong as it could be. But then i thought about Ablett in for Helbig and taking
    cotchin to the pine allowing him to come on in games where my guns have the byes.
    Another option was bringing in a gun fwd for Richardson as i am facing a doughnut in my fwd line this week. Pav's the ideal option as a fwd for me but he has a bye meaning that doughnut will still be hanging over my head. I'd like to get your thoughts on this as to what would be the best case scenario. Forgot to mention im looking to score the most possible points i can week in week out! So which option would allow me to have the most overall points come the end of season?
    Cheers guys! Hope that wasn't too long :)

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Gun forward would be the best option, thinking one option is Cloke just because no bye and he could patch up your team.

Would love another mid in there, so Pavlich after the bye would be another option. You can munch on a donut but then have Pav for the remainder.

Pavlova and Donut or Cloke's meat and potatoes.

Pavlova for mine

3. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@NumberWonGuns
    If you're going for leagues, then you have to keep in mind Essendon have the bye in the Grand Final, and if you make it that far, you'll be missing Heppell+Hibberd in the backline, which means you'll HAVE to play 1 of Jacobs, Delaney & Strauss. So that would leave you're backs a little week and I think the other teams in your league may have fully upgraded sides, and they wouldn't have Heppell/Hibberd on D7, that's the reason I'd be trying to get Fisher.
    If you get Ablett then you have very good back-ups in Cotchin, but you could swing Heppell into the midfield and put Jacobs down back, so you can have Heppell as your very good back-up, so you can have Sam Fisher, & a good midfield back up.
    You're going to cop a dough-nut in your forward line, and it would be nice to get Pavlich but he has the bye too this week, so I don't think it's worth wasting you're last trade just to keep that dough-nut that you were originally getting. And for the rest of the year, I don't think it would be that terrible haing Mzungu, Lynch or Richadson. As Mzungu can consistently score 75-110, Lynch can score consistently 65-80 & Richardson, when he gets a game can score 60s, so Mzungu & Lynch would be good to play until Rioli comes back. You may not cop a dough-nut if Lynch & Richardson play.
    So I'd say get Fisher in by trading Delaney, switch Heppell into the MIDS for Jacobs and have Hibberd as your back up in Defence as he now scores consistently 80ppg, Mzungu & Lynch can take Rioli's spot until he returns. Just my opinion.

4. skiddy

skiddy New Member

for overall points ablett would be the obvious choice for helbig but for your team balance pavlich after this weeks bye for helbig gives you better balance and a link to your fowards as you have 2 cats & 2 swans with byes to come.but if u wanna risk it take ablett lock him in as captain & enjoy the ride

5. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Helbig to GAJ seems to me the logical move. Pav does not have an easy run home.

6. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Yeah, seeing Gary Ablett's form V Sydney Swans over the past, I change my mind and I think that GAJ is the best option now. Helbig>>GAJ, just keep in mind in the GF you'll have to play Jacobs, Strauss or Delaney @D7. GAJ has averaged 170 or so points (see R16 Captains) against the Swans since 2007 or something, time to bring him in I reckon

7. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Yeah i will have to keep in mind that i wont have Heppell or Hibberd for the Granny(which i should 99 percent make, im currently nearly 1000 points clear on the next best player in my league) if i dont go fisher. So for overall points scored come the end of year whats the best trade to make? Ablett in? Pavlich in? Or another gun forward in who will be available to avoid me a doughnut this weekend?

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

GAJ has been playing great, but Pavlich can cover losses in either forward or midfield.

Either/or.

With Pavlich bye you should probably wait a week before doing anything.

9. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@NumberWonGuns
    What is your ranking?

10. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

6,844. Not much to write home about, definitely not in contention to worry the leaders that's for sure but considering where i was once ranked earlier this year(127,060) im fairing pretty good i believe. Had a very slow start, as my earlier ranking suggests! And now trying to figure out whats the best scenario with my last trade to gain the most possible points?

11. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Do the Helbig>>Gaz for mine, averages 172 V Sydney since 2007 and probably another big one this week

12. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Cheers Sainter(and others that have joined in!)

Was thinking Ablett was the most effective way of getting as much points as possible as i would play GAJ as my perma captain. Just had another look at my side and im faced with a few byes coming up in all areas(except the rucks) which means i will need my bench players to come on but im not too worried about that as i have reasonable cover. Only concern is Richardson. Only thing im not too happy about with Ablett in is Cotchin sitting on my bench doing nothing until Boyd,Hodge and Judd have byes. Meanwhile i could have had Fisher in the backline making my team complete and using Heppell(a player not as prolific in scoring as cotchin as my bench player. You can see my problem haha

13. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

When does the overall points rankings end? Is it just before the supercoach finals kick off or after the grand final?

14. Sainter

Sainter New Member

For the whole year

15. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

So the rankings continue until the Grand Final has been played out? Correct?

16. TerryinBangkok

17. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Im thinking of bringing Ablett in for Helbig. Purely and simply so i can put the perma captain on him and finally have a few easy nights sleep instead of tossing and turning over who to choose week in week out!

18. TerryinBangkok

Do it. After teams are announced or, having assessed your opponents, introduce him for impact in a particular game.

19. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Ablett it is, i think! God its hard, Pav gives me the opportunity to cover both mids and fwds but has a bye this week. And not choosing Fisher means my backline at times will be weakened when both Strauss and Jacobs have to play(including the grand final). But i believe if Ablett can continue to score as he is, as my captain he could make up for whatever points my bench cover may or may not score

20. canada_blues

canada_blues New Member

Kind of surprised no one said it yet - you don't want to save at least one trade for the last 9 rounds of the season? I would think the odds of all of your premiums staying healthy between now and then are astronomically low.