Lovett acquitted

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TopHeavy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Unfair dismissal case to follow...

2. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Any chance of a return to AFL next season?

3. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Unfair dismissal?? He was never sacked for this incident, was sacked for other off field issues and he has already settled with the Saints so he cant sue again... Pretty sure the club knew what they were doing..

Dont get me wrong the club should never have prematurely sacked him but they did, he tried to sue and they settled with a very large sum of money. End of story....

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Was that money in the Salary Cap Thunda?

Would think teams in the market for Lovett would be very few. I would think possibly a non-Melbourne team such as Fremantle with Mark Harvey would be the better fit.

5. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

Proof that it's not rape even if she didn't Lovett.

6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

That fella was put through the ringer over this! It's great to hear he's got off, but it ruined his career - what a shame!

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

8. Lucas

Sainter GWS, yeah I never really thought of that but sure with his Sheedy connection that is a real possibility.

He'd also fit in well in West Sydney... (joke)

I would have thought Fremantle (Mark Harvey) might have a team that would take a risk on a player of his age.

9. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Yeah, Lovett & Sheedy got on well didn't they? Wasn't it when Knights was appointed that his attitude and off-field incidents started to change? And I reckon Sheedy himself will be open to it, they probably need a spark player like himself who can turn a game - not sure how many top players will go to GWS , Scott Pendlebury & Dale Thomas signed, not to many guns in the market, no more AK-47s in stock (i.e Gary Ablett) - probably need more experience in there side too, with most of the talk about Scully, Ward, Walker etc, all young players, I rekon they'll need more experience like how the Gold Coast went after Campbell Brown, Gary Ablett & Nathan Bock.

Agreed Mark Harvey for Freo would be the type of coach to take a risk with a player like Lovett.
    I wuld've thought that Sydney & Brisbane woukld have a think about it, seeing the recycled players of late, they could be open to another? Think Staker, Spangher, Raines, Clarke, Mumford etc.

10. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

At his best he's a gun.. Problem is the negative publicity and poor "off field" track record Attached to him will kill off any chance of a club picking him up..Jays to much of a risk to any clubs "culture" + he looks way out of condition from 18 months off so would need two preseasons under his belt to return to top form.
    It's a shame because now a guy that has not been convicted of any crime (controversially or not), has had his career killed, which he's been working at for his whole life.

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@ Lucas

Yea mate it has. Ends this year actually which is where we can get some $$$ to buy a Mitch Clark or someone like that..

12. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

I don't reckon GWS can afford the risk especially with a young and "influenceable" list...imagine if it went pear shaped and he had another off field incident during their first season? It would be a circus. Hope they do though, if he sorts himself out he'd be a good fit!

13. Sainter

Sainter New Member

I Reckon Lovett Will Be A Lot More Strict On Himself With His Off-Field Actions , Having Said That , How Many Times Has Brendan Fevola Said That? You Never Know , But, A Risk Is A Risk For A Reason Isn't It?

14. BleedingPurpleAndWhite

BleedingPurpleAndWhite New Member

I would be quite pleased if Andrew Lovett crossed to my Dockers - could be a handy addition and will help us a bit with his flexibility, able to play Midfield or as a Tall & Small Forward, Excellent curming and I'd think he'd be alright running off the Half-Back Flank, which would allow Broughton to play more in the Midfield with another bckmen, Broughton has been fantastic in the Midfield this year.

15. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Lovett being picked up could go down to the wire like Cousins did. On the one hand, Cousins actually f'd up majorly, compared with Lovett who has done a lot less than guys like Fev. Cousins was a pretty big gamble although he had a lot of pulling power and to an extent was a marquee player. Worth it as Richmond had record membership numbers from memory but gave them false hope as usual. Lovett doesn't have that appeal but could be a handy pickup due to availability and potential for greatness. I hope for his sake he is a success story like Krakouer has been this year.

16. Lucas

Dockers and GWS best fit for mine

Collingwood and Saints could use his skills but probably not at the stage in the cycle that would legitimise his selection.

17. jo

jo Moderator

GWS don't want a bar of him. Good for them.

<blockquote>Quote from TopHeavy on July 26, 2011, 10:27
    Lovett being picked up could go down to the wire like Cousins did. On the one hand, Cousins actually f'd up majorly, compared with Lovett who has done a lot less than guys like Fev. Cousins was a pretty big gamble although he had a lot of pulling power and to an extent was a marquee player. Worth it as Richmond had record membership numbers from memory but gave them false hope as usual. Lovett doesn't have that appeal but could be a handy pickup due to availability and potential for greatness. I hope for his sake he is a success story like Krakouer has been this year.</blockquote>

I don't know if beating his wife and um... 'having sex' with a girl who is clearly way too drunk to have consented (consent is never implied)is less offensive than having an addiction or generally behaving like a twat.

If I had to pick someone to have on a team I support... It wouldn't be Lovett. And if I were a coach, no way would I be introducing a personality like that into a team full of young kids as some sort of 'leader'.

18. jo

jo Moderator

"FOOTBALLER Andrew Lovett's ex-girlfriend claims she feared she would die as he held her hostage and bashed her.

Kimberlie Watson alleges the Essendon forward locked her in his car and hit her on the head and body in a fit of rage that left her bruised and with a bloodied ear.

The receptionist and promotions model complained to police she was dragged by the hair into Lovett's blue Monaro and belted repeatedly as he drove through an industrial area in a frightening 45-minute ordeal.

Ms Watson, 24, told the Herald Sun she was scared she would be killed after ending their 10-month relationship.

"I didn't think I was going to get out of the car alive," she said." Link.

Sure sounds like a stellar bloke to me...

19. anthak

Yeah, I agree with you Jo - I thought the idea of him being a "leader" was going a bit far too! He isn't the type of role model you would want for young players/people.

But at the same time, I reckon he can be a good player at afl level, and he could turn out to be a good pickup for a club.

20. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from jo on July 27, 2011, 17:32
    "FOOTBALLER Andrew Lovett's ex-girlfriend claims she feared she would die as he held her hostage and bashed her.

Kimberlie Watson alleges the Essendon forward locked her in his car and hit her on the head and body in a fit of rage that left her bruised and with a bloodied ear.

The receptionist and promotions model complained to police she was dragged by the hair into Lovett's blue Monaro and belted repeatedly as he drove through an industrial area in a frightening 45-minute ordeal.

Ms Watson, 24, told the Herald Sun she was scared she would be killed after ending their 10-month relationship.

"I didn't think I was going to get out of the car alive," she said." Link.

Sure sounds like a stellar bloke to me... </blockquote>

I hadn't seen this before writing my last comment.
    I hate to not take the side of the victim on this - as it happens waaay to much in our society - but The herald sun has been know to embellish the truth a little, have they not?
    And what was he on trial for? I'll admit that I don't know much about it. Was it about this with his gf, or something else. I thought it was a separate incident, and if it was - did he get into strife about the stuff with his missus. That was about 5 years ago, so I don't remember...