Fantasy NBA 2011/12

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by anthak, Aug 1, 2011.

1. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

I'd love to be involved with this - i followed the progress last season with keen interest and was absolutely spewing i missed the boat last year

2. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Wasn't involved last year and would just like to know how the live draft or whatever works if that's how we're going to set it up.
    Cheers

3. Fez

Fez Moderator

Live draft was voted by people for time and date and in 260 picks took under 2 hours, 30 seconds a go to pick a player

4. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

I would love to be involved in the Fantasy NBA Roster!
    I have always been keen to do it, but without having friends as devoted to the NBA as I am.. it hasn't happened yet.

That is, if there is a NBA roster this year! And there better be otherwise I'll be annoyed about not being able to see Orlando v Chicago in January :(

5. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Looks like we have another 8-10 guys interested in a season. If we keep the 16 that played last year it could be 2 leagues of 14 teams. With what was it 13 players a side. So 182 players, which is only a little bit deeper than the top 150 lists put out there.

If we get more interest it might have to go to 3 leagues.

I was also thinking of a "rapid fire league" with an all in concept, 7 players per team (5 on the court, 2 subs), Make it a weekly league not daily as that takes up a lot of time, better spent on the real leagues. Would give us all a common link, but would make write-ups a full time job, which is the only downside I could see.

6. HEAVER

HEAVER Member

The NBA lockout so serious that they took down the players from official websites. I think the industrial action is as if the players are no longer technically 'employees' of the club. This from my double-double man Kevin Love:

Kevin Love is not a fan of the new layout of the Minnesota Timberwolves official website.
    "They took everything off," said Love. "I laughed, but it's not funny. You take everyone off? You go on our website and it's the dancers and Crutch our mascot. I think it's cool for the charity events, but not using any of the players, it's silly. Let's get this thing resolved and play basketball. It's disheartening to fans and to us. Let's get it figured out.''Love is echoing the sentiment of basketball fans around the globe with his comments.

7. Heat players are still up...

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from HEAVER on August 2, 2011, 09:35
    . This from my double-double man Kevin Love:
    </blockquote>
    :( still sad about that - I would have had two of the best picks in draft with rose at 30somethhing and love at 59...
    But it all worked out in the end I suppose. can't complain about making granny! :)

9. Owen

Owen Well-Known Member

I'm keen to be involved again. It was good fun last year.

10. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@Fez et. all

So you're saying, it took 2 and a half hours for the Draft in our League to be completed?

11. Rev

Rev New Member

I'd be keen if there is a newbie league?

12. Fez

Fez Moderator

SainteR witH 20 teams it took about an hour n a half but we worked out 20 was too many so well probe have 2 leagues of say 15 max

13. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

@Sainter
    It sure does mate. Not really any other way to make it any shorter. 30 secs per pick is alright when your potential players haven't been chosen yet, but as soon as you have to change your game plan, then 30 secs goes way too quickly. You obviously don't have to be paying too much attention the whole time though.

14. stowie

stowie Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from Sainter on August 2, 2011, 16:54
    @Fez et. all

So you're saying, it took 2 and a half hours for the Draft in our League to be completed?

</blockquote>

Yup, we organised a time, all jumped online and drafted away. Was all downhill after the Shaq pick though.

15. anthak

BOOM!

16. anthak

And sainter, you can set up a pre draft list so that if you miss your pick/can't attend you get players auto picked from your own preference order. It was also handy to make decisions easier along the way.

But it was fun to be there. 19 out of the 20 teams were represented in the live draft! Was great!

17. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

Do you get to choose the time of the draft or does it depend on predetermined time set by people in the USA who enjoy getting us up at 3am to do it? :p

18. karlos

karlos Member

@Sainterz12 if I recall correctly we could only run the draft during a set time frame. I think the best we could do as a result was 10pm on a Thursday night, which actually seemed to work well for those with kids and other commitments (cricket in my case). As others have said it only took about an hour and a half which is pretty quick considering 19 people drafted live.

19. anthak

yeah thats right Karlos. We had it on one of the last nights before daylight savings kicked in to make the time difference ok - between US and Aus, and also between Vic and WA as well.

It looks like we will have two leagues this season (if there is one)

I personally think we should try to have the drafts at exactly the same time so that we are all on level playing field - same as scoring system and rules too. It would be great to be able to compare leagues if they are the same in every way.

What do people think of that?

20. spm67

spm67 New Member

Guys - I'm keen to have a crack if there's positions available.

Cheers,

Steve