A very special thanks for my birthday gift

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Silverback, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Silverback

Silverback New Member

good evening all,

this may or may not be the most suitable place for this post, but I'm determined to gain the biggest audience possible!

So, you may have heard of my dear brother... he's older and uglier and known around these parts as 'Heavy Men' (heavy by name and heavy by nature). Anyway, he decided that a great present for my upcoming birthday (about 3 weeks time) would be donor privileges to this fantastic site.

Late last week he contacted Walesy, made the donation and also left instructions for a special note to be put with my welcoming email. Now unbeknownst to all of you, but knownst to me, Heavy and I were playing each other (1 v 4) in an $800 cash league. So the special note was:

HeavyMen acknowledges your coming birthday & also that you are in serious need of help, (especially this weekend to win the match between the brothers grim). Congratulations on making it to another birthday & due to the HeavyMen’s great generosity, you now have DONORS privileges. Use them wisely oh great Gorilla!

Now last week, Heavy failed to correctly assess the situation and identify his team's weaknesses (many) and my team's strengths (numerous). I suspect he may have been distracted by something moving in the refrigerator… I digress; anyway, the end result was a 150 point eye watering wedgie! The almighty Silverbacks registering 2486 whilst Heavy's boys could only scrape together a feeble 2336.

So dear brother, thank you very much for your kind gift, I sincerely appreciate it. However perhaps next time you should choose your words as carefully as you chose my gift!

Just wondering if other members on this site have experienced such poorly timed generosity or if they’ve also experienced the sweet taste of success against an archrival!

Good luck to all for the finals (except you Heavy Men) and may the best brother win!

2. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Hmmmppphhh

My erstwhile msg does seem a little "ordinary" now.
    Although to be fair, there were nado signs of a performance like that - coming from your mob!

I hope & pray (hourly), that we meet again this season.
    Also there is STILL the overall points tally to be revealed ("to the biggest audience possible"), at the appropriate time.

Until then...

3. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Ahhh, brotherly love! Its good to see.

Me being an older brother myself, I feel its necessary to point out that we have to let the little brother win every now and then, or big bad mummy-bear comes along, and then there's strife! :p

4. Sainter

Sainter New Member

JPK

<blockquote>big bad mummy-bear </blockquote>

You mean big-bad-mummy-gorilla!!!!!

Happy birthday Silver for 3 weeks (does it land on SC Grand Final day)!!

5. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff. Happy returns.

6. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Me, I'm just astounded at the gift. Very thoughtful and would be nice if lots more could do it - especially hubby signing up the better half and letting them manage their own team.

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

GF time for revenge to be served up for all those who got lucky last week.

I haven't forgotten the barbs from colleagues after last week's poor effort by my team.

This week is one for the rebuilding to take place, before hell is unleashed in the last two.

8. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Where's the Round 21 TOTR!!!!!!!!?????????

9. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

This thread makes me smile - infact, it got a mention in the newsletter! (which I'll be sending out soonish! :D)

10. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Walesy - the newsletter was absolute gold! nice work mate, as always :)

11. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Cheers Walesy

12. FoxSportsNews

FoxSportsNews New Member

Birthday Silverback

-
    Yep great newsletter walesy

13. walesy

Oh, and just for the record, in guessing who the silhouette is, Jo got it on her second guess. ;)

14. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Lethal Leigh?

15. Autofills

Autofills New Member

Great Newsletter, Great Site, Great People.
    This is my first year involved in Supercoach and TS has been the bible for my *fingers crossed* league success. Ranked about 5000ish - smashing friends and workmates alike in a league ranked 267th. Pretty good going IMO.
    Happy Bday Silverback!

To TerryInBangkok - who is this Mrs Autofills you keep talking about in the live chats? I keep an eye on the discussion but am not a skilled enough multitasker to eat, drink, yell at the screen and type. :)

Keep up the great work!!

PS Is the pic of Mark Riccuito? If not please make it a pic of Mark Riccuito.

16. walesy

:D

Clue #1: The player is currently on an AFL list.

17. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Gary ablett jnr

18. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Also don't tell me if I'm right , cause I don't want to enter the comp.

And btw, I love the idea of the gift cards!

19. TerryinBangkok

Well, well, well. It takes a gorilla's birthday for the truth to out. Walesy should get a chuckle out of this. I always thought AUTOFILLS on the chat was a "dummy" piece of software script used by walesy to make sure the chat could still kick start even if there was no one on there. I was pondering this one day, so asked AUTOFILLS a question just to be provocative. No response. Then one day, during a typing fury, it answered! Plain as the back of your hand, this was the "phantom" walesy up to his old tricks and responding as AUTOFILLS (hence the q. about Mrs.). Take note chatters - you never know who is lurking out there. My next question will be to "And 8 Guests" - seems to be a bit of a regular, but don't know who he/she supports.

And lo and behold, AUTOFILLS turns out to be a Crows supporter (none of whom can eat, drink, yell at the umpire and type at the same time).

20. TerryinBangkok

Finally had a peek at the new Newsletter. The missus will be very thrilled that walesy decided to use her photo as the lead in to the feature story.