Which of the top 10 would people consider as starting premiums in 2012?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by shanaz, Sep 6, 2011.

1. shanaz

shanaz New Member

Pendlebury
    Cox
    Dal Santo
    Murphy
    Swan
    Ablett
    Judd
    Boyd
    Priddis
    Swallow

Having a look at these names, its interesting to note that apart from Cox, the rest are all midfielders. Which raises the question how many premium midfielders does one start with, especially when most of the good value rookies are midfielders too

2. shanaz

shanaz New Member

Personally, i think ill only start with 4 preiums in my midfield.
    id say Pendles, ablett, and murphy are locks, with perhaps a priddis POD.
    This is all pending on preseason and form etc

3. Holey

Holey Moderator Staff Member

Pendles, Ablett, Murphy & Selwood for mine

4. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Depends on their starting price. But doubt id start 3 or 4 of them if they are over $630K like they are predicted. Especially with some of the fallen premiums that will be cheaper. eg Montagna, Bartel, Hodge

5. Sainter

Sainter New Member

There are more premiums that could fit into the top 10 easily e.g I was thinking Joel Selwood.
    I was planning to have something like this Pendles, Murphy, Selwood, Griffen (maybe), Hayes and then a rookie.
    I reckon that's 3 premiums (Pendles, Murphy, Selwood who IMO can all average 120+ next year, then I have Ryan Griffen from the Dogs who will be a POD, but before we pick any dogs midfielders we'll have to see the NAB Cup, how they sort outthere ruck situation and if the dogs midfielders get as much clearances
    without Hudson, and how good their efficiency will be without Hall.
    Hayes is a bit of a risk to start, bit hopefully can average around 90 at least then trade him off later on. At M6 will either get a top draft pick/mature age recruit or someone like Gaff, Stevens or Morabito. IMO, Sam Blease might be a good one, from memory he was in the same draft as Scully and Trengove? And we all saw what Tapscott did early on, Sammy would be an interesting pick and one I'll look at in the NAB Cup and Pre-Season.

I reckon Cox will be very pricey next year, and might just get Sandi if there's a large margin between prices.

Andrew Swallow and Matt Priddis are good PODs.

Will Dal Santo's points go down with Hayes back in the Midfield?
    On another not, a lot are saying NRoo may not make the cut in there team
    next year, but with Hayes back in, I think the
    delivery will be better, our hardest player in the middle getting the ball clear, and as someone said in another thread that players
    normally bounce back after a poor season.

Cheers shanaz.

6. Sainter

Sainter New Member

as stated above Hodge will also be underpriced...

7. shanaz

shanaz New Member

@ stkildathunda, thats a very interesting point. if the players are overpriced it will be difficult to fit in too many premium midfielders.

but id say that pendlebury, ablett and murphy have to be considered for their incredible consistency

8. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Ablett is the only lock for me next year, I will look for 2 or 3 fallen premiums to fill the next few slots. As I believe we might see again next year players drop considerably in value if priced over 600K.
    As rookies go up, Magic number and all that..
    Gotta remind myself on what happened to Goddard this year.
    I will also be searching far and wide for next seasons Fyfe/Suckling/Savage, Could be a Menzel/Duncan but a few more risks on those types(More Guts), would have been handy to go higher than top 4000.
    And Never again with Higgins.....No matter What.

9. Bill

Bill New Member

shaun higgins' 'never again' papers were rubber stamped when he capped off another frustrating year by being the sub on the weekend which could have but luckily didnt cost me my DT grand final. id already given him the flick in SC. One year he'll come out and smash it but im not prepared to take the chance anymore.

Big cox served me well this year but he'll come with a big price next year and possibly less ruck time as naitanui keeps stepping up so im liking leunberger or mumford at this very early stage. Will they be retaining the 3 man bench next year? i think they should

10. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I second Holey's choices of Pendlebury, Ablett, Murphy and Duckwood.

Whilst not in the T10 for 2011, Deledio is a certain starter for my SC team in 2012 also.

11. shanaz

shanaz New Member

Deledio is a must have i believe. has been unbelieavably consistent in defence. One of the best defenders going around over the last 3-4 years.

12. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Deledio has to be in I reckon, more consistent then most Defenders and you can definitely count on him not to have a bad season, he still has a lot of improvement and in my opinion is becoming one of the best creative handballers in the AFL, he opens up play and passes 15 metres over the top to Nahas/Edwards type of players which will get him a lot of Score Involvements if he plays the same role next year. I wonder if he'll be available as a Midfielder? I'll be taking him in the Backline though.

13. shanaz

shanaz New Member

Deledio will definitely be plaing as a mid/back next year :D

14. ExPrez

ExPrez Member

With a salary cap of $10 million, let's say you allocate 35% to mids - that's $3.5 million for 8 players (6 starters and 2 bench).

Let's also say the magic number is approximately 5320 as established by Walesy in his salary predictions for 2012 on the Stats tab.

If you choose 3 rookies at $110k each that leaves $3.17 million for 5 players at an average of $634k - not bad money to play around with!

Even if you allocate 30% to mids and again choose 3 rookies, you've got an average of $534k per mid.

15. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@ExPrez
    That's really interesting, I think I'm going to use that to help me :p

Cheers ExPrez

16. Tino

Tino Member

Dildo definitely gets a gig down back.

For me I agree that Ablett, Pendles, Murphy and Selwood are solid bets. (pending pre-season of course)

17. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

I know big Nic Nat would be a fair way off being called a premium right now but i think 2012 could be a huge year for the big fella. Cox will spend less and less time in the centre circle as next year unfolds giving Nic Nat plenty of opportunity to step up to premium status in my opinion. Had a pretty solid year in 2011 in terms of scoring(even without getting plenty of the footy) and will only be better after another pre season under his belt. Can anyone tell me what his average ended up being? 85-90?

I think he will be worth a good look next year(if his price isn't too high)

18. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

I would think one of Martin or Cotchin (maybe both) would provide good options as midfielders with upside.
    How good it would be, if Martin was listed as a mid/fwd MPP

19. whips

whips New Member

Nic Nat averaged 94 but I'd still have Cox, Sandi, Goldy in front of him for 2012 - possibly the latter two.

No one has mentioned Mundy who I like for next year. Consistently around 120 until injury struck and wasn't a soft tissue injury so unlikely to recur.
    The injury only served to bring his price down and value up IMO.

@HM
    Martin and Cotch both on my list.

20. shanaz

shanaz New Member

i was considering martin, but will probably only get on if he's dpp. otherwise theres bound to be better options. He averaged high 90's this year, so wont come cheap!