2012 Supercoach Rucks

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Nov 27, 2011.

1. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Thought since draft is over we could get some specific threads happening and discussion on players to keep eye out this preseason. Starting with the blokes drafted.

Orren Stephenson (Geel) - 29 years old and Cats have already said they plan on playing him. Lock and load him on your bench

Billy Longer (Bris) - Will probably be behind Leuenberger & Hudson.

Jarrod Witts & Corey Gault (Coll) - Cant see either them playing next year, unless Jolly, Wood go down. But think would still behind couple others?

Tom Downie (GWS) - Dont know much about him, but given they have Giles & Brogan he wont be first choice.

Sentanta O'hailpin - hahahahahaha

James Sellar (Melb) - same as above

Todd Elton (Rich) - Cant see him getting games next year with recent addition of Maric and also Vickory in the side.

Jay Lever (St.k) - More long term project, cant see him getting any games next year

Figured dont really need to go over the other rucks at this stage, we already know what they can all produce. But couple cheaper options would have to be:

Trent West
    Mathew Kruezar (all depends on discount)
    Ivan Maric (if your feeling extremely gutsy)

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Jonathan Giles. Lock him in now at R4.

3. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

ah yes was just about to add him to the list.. Is that a record for quickest reply to a new thread ever. Dont think it was even been up for 2mins!!!

Stephenson & Giles is looking like the best bench combo.

4. Fez

Fez Moderator

Ruckman generally take a few years to develop, are there any that got drafter last year or the year before who would be in line for a game?

5. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

What if Sam Rowe gets R/F eligibility? Mature aged recruit in a team screaming out for a decent forward, elite midfield kicking it down his throat.

6. Fedor

Fedor New Member

Yeah I reckon Stephenson is nearly a 100% lock in the ruck bench for me barring injury.

7. Gumby

Gumby Active Member

The choice of premium rucks next year appears to be one of the harder decisions to make.

Sandilands
    Cox
    Mumford

Are the stand-out choices - but who do you leave out?

Is Goldstein going to have another cracking year? Or is the return of HMAC going to curve his output?

The same could be said of Leuenberger and the recruitment of Hudson

Will McEvoy & Jacobs build on his break-out year?

Is Paddy Ryder finally the choice his talent demands given Essendon only have 3 genuine rucks this year and Hille & Bellchambers are rather injury/suspension prone?

Will Darren Jolly return to some semblence of form in the 2nd best team in the country?

Decisions!

8. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

On Sandilands, whilst he is truly a premium ruckman when he plays its also a major concern at how many games he misses these days. He isnt exactly a spring chicken anymore. With a new coach and the fact they kept all 3 big men, there is also concern at how he is used. Will Griffen spend more time in the ruck to help nurse him through to potential finals?

For me theres to many question marks over him. Think id rather take the punt on the younger brigade.

9. FlyUp

FlyUp Member

What about Tom Derickx? should get some games this year and will still be rookie priced.

10. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Honestly can't see Derickx leaping up the Tigers rucks considering they traded to get Maric.

What i'm personally waiting to see is what ruckmen are given R/F MPP status.

11. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you Bearfly. I'm expecting Ryder to be R/F this year and as long as at least one semi-decent rookie-priced ruck (i.e. better prospect than J.Tippett was this year) is also R/F, then Ryder will be a lock in my Forward line.

12. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Rhys Stanley should hopefully be R/F this year again. Will get discount for only playing 1 game so should be sub $200K. Guess depends on how much you want to pay above rookie price for one!!

13. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

A lot hinges on two things:
    -The magic number
    -The number of bench players

These two factors could change the structure of my team.

14. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

For me Mumford is the standout premium ruck.

15. Patrician

Patrician New Member

First post :D

Who else do you think is a R/F possibility? Vickery?

And going the other way, do you think Petrie will keep his R/F status?

16. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Consider the byes! Notable big men and their team's byes:

Round 11
    Cox
    Goldstein
    Leuenberger
    Naitanui
    Petrie
    Jacobs
    McIntosh
    Giles

Round 12
    Mumford
    Sandilands
    Ryder
    Jamar
    Stephenson
    West
    Jolly

Round 13
    McEvoy
    Warnock
    Kreuzer
    Z.Smith
    Lobbe
    Bailey

I've going for a Leuy-McEvoy combo atm, keeping an eye on the WCE/KAN ruck battles over the pre-season. Mummy and Sandi can't discount. R3 will be Big O and 4 will likely be Todd Spudton if he gets R/F.

17. Welcome aboard Patrician! I'm thinking McEvoy, NicNat, Giles and Stephensen at the moment but there's still a lot of water to pass under the bridge before round 1

18. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

It's hard when thinking of each position in isolation as the byes are going to hit hard in all positions. If you're planning on using MPP to bring in a forward to cover your rucks then you might not want to pick a premium from round 12 as somebody posted in the FWD thread the carnage that is going to take place in that round.

With this in mind my initial thoughts are;
    Sam Jacobs, Ben McEvoy, Jon Giles and a rookie priced FWD/RUC MPP with Ryder down FWD(If he gets MPP)coming in to the RUC to cover in round 11/13.

Thoughts behind McEvoy and Jacobs is they are the two ruckman with the least support hence having to shoulder more of the load and eating more of the supercoach pie.

19. Gumby

Gumby Active Member

Interesting that Sandilands and Mumford have a bye in the same round.

Hudson to affect Leaunberger's output?

20. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Matty C
    One could put carnage into every week in the bye rounds for every position let's be honest. The key is moderation and not overloading.

Or if you do, you overload initially in R12/R13 bye prospects, and kill them off after the R11 has gone through.

That's where guys like Gray, Vickery, even Walker can be used in your team to start with, then switch when the bye comes around.

All 4 rucks are up for grabs at the moment, but McEvoy appears to be the one that's most likely to get in the team.