Round 11, 12 and 13 byes

Discussion in 'AFL' started by SuperCoachSuperStar, Dec 23, 2011.

1. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

How are people going to deal with the bye rounds.

Are you going start with a team that will help you get through the bye rounds, or just cop what happens during the bye rounds, are you going to do a balance of the previous two or something else.

Any thoughts

2. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

my musings....

I am planning to start with a team that can get me through all the bye rounds with no trades. Wishful thinking I know. At minimum no trades in round 11 is the main goal.

I've set up a team and counted the number of players for each bye in each line. To ensure an appropriate spread I've had to chose a few different premiums than i would have otherwise.

I finally got my head around the byes etc...then I came to think about overall trading strategy. Last year it was pretty easy, milk the cows eg Libba, Harris round 9ish and start doing upgrades then.

But with the byes, upgrades will need to be made with byes in mind as well yes? I imagine you couldnt wait till after the byes to start upgrading from a points point of view and from the view of cashing out while the cows are at their fattest.

love supercoach. need nab cup to start at least so I can see if my rookie choices are viable or complete rubbish!!

3. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Probably not a concern for those going for a league win. I'm going for overall which means I need a good set up initially, (taking the byes into account) & then a trading program which probably needs to start around Rd 8. I will be trying to maximise pts from the bye rounds to keep my scores ticking along.

I want rookies from teams in the first bye to cash out & help cover those that I don't have enough trades to cover the week before, have inj problems, or not prepared to trade out or be able to cover from bench, MPP etc in Rds 12 & 13

So (GWS, Crows & Lions) in partiocular spring to mind as having good rookie potential/options.

Looking forward to NAB Cup & training reports & of course some inside info from our guys in Brisbane & Adelaide

4. SuperCoachSuperStar

One of the most important things is to have 8 bye players heading into round 11 (two in each position).

Priddis has a bye in the first bye round which is good because he is the sought of player that I am likely to trade in.

5. SuperCoachSuperStar

To have a chance of avoiding a single zero you should head into round 11 with the formation.
    Round 11 - 8
    Round 12 - 11
    Round 13 - 11

To avoid any zeros you are required to used six trades. 3 Round 12 and 3 Round 13.

6. I think this year that the byes will decide overall for the majority of people. It's looking like no-one will be able to avoid the donuts through the bye rounds so minimising the amount of donuts and who munches them when will be key. Trade strategies will need to be monitered for the whole season and aimed around having all premium players playing through the byes, therefore changing the upgrade schedule of rookies to reflect the team needs

7. SuperCoachSuperStar

In my starting team I have 7 premiums and 1 mid-priced player who have their byes in round 13, I might have to change my team a bit.

8. BTW SCSS, unless you use Lycett as an R/F it is impossible to avoid ALL donuts over the byes

9. SuperCoachSuperStar

BTW BB, it is possible to avoid all donuts during the byes without having Lycett. There are two R/Ds.

10. Impromptu

Impromptu New Member

Yes, 2 donuts for me (I'm hoping).

Let's just say my team will be very strange next year :~) and I'm not doing it for the show.

You will all think I've lost my mind :~)

For starters, no Pendles/Cox/Gibbs/Judd/Murphy/Karmichael (lol?) with Swan borderline.

11. Heh, you're a quick one

12. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Dont get why people are planning their team around these 3 weeks. So much can happen from round 1-10 that you could have best laid plans ruined and you then find yourself even further behind the 8-ball by not picking best player in a position..

My plan atm is to pick BEST possible side for the entire year and then work out the byes when it comes a bit closer to the actual time

13. fleagle

fleagle New Member

As a numby at this game I struggled through 2011 due to my poor initial selections. I only discovered supercoach 3 days prior to kick off. I won my league (obviously everyone else was numbier than me)but that was more arse than class.

This year hopefully I will be somewhat better.

OK - my thoughts on the byes. obviously must hope for no trades for w11

Byes Byes Byes Byes Total
    Week Trades Forward Centre Backs Rucks
    11 0 2 2 2 2 8
    12 3 3 2 2 1 8
    13 3 2 2 3 1 8

That's the easy part. Then the need to consider the premium / rookie/ etc mix.

I'm heartened by impromptu
    ]For starters, no Pendles/Cox/Gibbs/Judd/Murphy/Karmichael (lol?) with Swan borderline[

Neither have I but I come without a track record.

At least this time I know to look at TAC form.

14. Welcome aboard fleagle

15. Impromptu

Impromptu New Member

<blockquote>Quote from fleagle on December 29, 2011, 16:05
    Then the need to consider the premium / rookie/ etc mix.

I'm heartened by impromptu
    ]For starters, no Pendles/Cox/Gibbs/Judd/Murphy/Karmichael (lol?) with Swan borderline[

Neither have I but I come without a track record.</blockquote>

Nice! Don't worry before I won it, I didn't come with a track record.

FWIW I am planning for overall, but that includes minimising the bye exposure. I'm expecting between 2-6 donuts in round 12-13 but obviously hoping 2-3 donuts.

16. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

If you can get through the bye rounds without a donut i applaud you but to do so you will in my opinion put yourself out of contention for overall ! I think if you only get 3-4 your doing well . If you hold off on your upgrades until the bye rounds you will be left behind if you have a fully upgraded team going into round 11 you will have no trades left after the bye carnage .

17. fleagle

fleagle New Member

Absolutely, however in an ideal world it is possible to get thru the byes with only 6 trades and no donuts. I accept this is 25&#37; of the total however it is for 12.5&#37; of games. At some point you have to hold your nerve

Your bye strategy will need to be determined prior to the start of the season but eventually it comes down to the quality of the cattle you select across the board.

I want to get thru the byes without a donut (ego thing) but if there is an opportunity to get a premium // ultra premium at the right price then screw the donut.

18. SuperCoachSuperStar

Unless you do something special with the rucks you will cop 2 donuts. Basically every zero you avoid it will get you about 70 points. So if you are going to get premium that will give you a donut, is that trade going more than 70 points if otherwise hadn't done the trade.

19. SuperCoachSuperStar

My new plan for the byes is to just pick the best team I can and try to minimise damage during the byes by having rookies from a spread of teams.

20. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Why will we be definitely munching donuts in the ruck? Presuming 2 prems + 2 playing rookies and their byes work out as 2,1,1 (or any variation) then how would you be munching a donut on that line, am I missing something?