Guidance for picking a SuperCoach team in 2012

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Gonaddz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Hi, I'm pretty new to this Supercoach thing and a lot of my friends have invited me to play but I'm thinking they are happy to have a guy in their league they can walk all over. Could someone with a bit of know how help me pick a team to start the 2012 season? You will be doing me a great service against people who have much more experience than me.... :?

2. kevy

kevy New Member

Give this a read

http://tooserious.net/first-team-plan-for-the-year

Go through the forum. Right now there are a lot of 'league' posts, but there are some discussions on the defence and ruck lines.

Have a look around on Google. TS is the best, but there are plenty of external sites dedicated the fantasy footy.

Keep in mind that it's all guesswork at the moment. Once the pre season games start is when super coaches will get an idea of which rookies to jump on and what premiums are set for a big year

3. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Thank you very much for helping me! This gives me some sort of idea where I can start.

4. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

@Gonaddz,

Keep coming back here. We will eventually enter a period where you can have your team rated by some of the more experienced coaches. This will help point out any possible weaknesses and give some tips on how to make the most of multi-position players, how vulnerable you might be during the byes, etc. Getting the team right at the start can save you a lot of trades trying to fix it later on.

There will also be discussion here on strategy, commonly known as Guns 'n Rookies (GNR) or Guns, Mids and Rookies (GMR). Essentially you need to decide on this to determine how your team is structured, which in turn determines your trade pattern for the year.

In the meantime, keep an eye on the form of new players during the NAB.

5. RickJames

RickJames New Member

Hey Gonaddz.
    The best advice I can give is to play the Guns and Rookies Structure and limit the amount of Risky selections and mid price players.

The easiest way to start a solid base team is to pick
    3-4 premium defenders
    3 premium Midfielders
    2 Premium Rucks
    3-4 Premium Forwards

*Premium = 100 avg or more.
    then pick 1 or 2 mid pricers you want to take a punt on; i.e Porps,Brown,Grimes, etc.
    Then fill the rest of your team with decent Rookies that look set for early game time.

Watch the preseason comp and sharpen your selections accordingly (especially around the rookie selections).
    Good Luck!

6. TerryinBangkok

Evening RickJames,

You signed up for the TS-Port Adelaide league yet?
    Code is 675157.

Cheers,

7. RickJames

RickJames New Member

Just did then TiB.
    Cheers
    Good luck to you this year!

8. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Man, I wish I found this place sooner! Now I have a fighting chance without being a laughing stock like I am now in the EPL league I am in. You really don't know how much this means to me so I salute you all!

9. TerryinBangkok

Keep it under your hat Gonaddz - you can tell your mates about it around Round 12 when you are sitting comfortably on top of the ladder.

No pressure, but if you get good value and you want a real edge, become a donor.

Good luck with your season.

10. RickJames

RickJames New Member

I play EPL too Gonadsz. Ranked in the top 10K
    RVP captain this week?
    I hope he plays!

11. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

hahahahaha yeah?? damn its a small world! I've Got Silvia as my Cap after a long stretch of losses I'll be happy when the season is over and then I can focus on SC. I think I will be donating too. Can't deal with my mate crapping on me.

12. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Gonaddz, it is also worthwhile to make sure you have some dual position players in your side as this provides you with fleaxbility and makes it easier to cover players who miss games due to short-term injuries or suspensions.

Being able to susbtitute these players between lines may also save you making some forced trades to prevent players scoring zero, allowing you to use your trades more effectively.

For this tactic to work you will need to have the same type of DPP's on both lines, for instance at least one D/M in both the midfield and defense.

13. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Got it dual position players! Think I'll have my work cut out for me. I look forward to posting my team before the season starts to see what you guys think. Thanks again, much appreciated

14. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from RickJames on February 4, 2012, 21:31
    I play EPL too Gonadsz. Ranked in the top 10K
    RVP captain this week?
    I hope he plays!</blockquote>
    bit off topic, but... Hope he plays? Wow, Im glad he did.
    I had him as cap too. :D

3 goals, 2 assists! 20 points with bonus still to come. should be 46 points as captain coming up :D

15. BigLance

BigLance New Member

Even if you just read the blogs and comments on those you will know more than most people to gain a significant advantage. Once the NAB starts it will be info overflow with some great discussions.

16. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Just keep TooSerious bookmarked, hell make it your home page it will make you better 10 fold. No need to go to any other site, this is by far the best Supercoach site on the world wide web.

17. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Sounds good! I also wanted to know what kind of sites do you guys use to check for injuries? I have a site for the EPL but not for the AFL. Would be nice to know if my players are playing.

18. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Been playing around with SuperCoach and here's what I came up with. I know its early but to have some kind of idea would make me a little more confident. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Rem. Salary Cap
    &#36;284,800

Defenders
    1. Goddard,
    2. Burgoyne, S
    3. Drummond, J
    4. Lake, B
    5. Warnock, M
    6. Martin, B
    7. Sierakowski, W

Midfield
    8. Ablett, G
    9. Dal Santo, N
    10. Murphy, M
    11. Goodes, A
    12. Coniglio, S
    13. Morabito, A

Rucks
    14. Kreuzer, M
    15. Curnow,

Forwards M
    16. Franklin, L
    17. Cloke, T
    18. Riewoldt, N
    19. Kennedy, J
    20. Hurley, M
    21. Riewoldt, J
    22. Butcher, J

19. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

Not bad for a first try.
    I'd put goodes into the FWD line. The reasoning behind that is, you'll find more midfielders that will average 100 or more than FWDs. As goodes comes as a FWD, best to have him in the FWD line. (good Fwds are harder to find)

Warnock will play, but won't rack up a lot of points. He's your main "kill the ball" type player. Lake and Drummond are great value, but will have the injury concern. If you're confident they won't be injured, good strategy to have.

Your rucks look weak, but it depends on who your bench rucks will be.
    To look at ruck strategy, there is a thread here:
    http://tooserious.net/forum?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1273.0

20. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

@Gonaddz

Forget Curnow in your ruck, he's a rookie list player and I can't see him being close to being upgraded to the senior list this season - he would need Lobbe, Renouf & Redden to all go down with LTI's before even being slightly considered.

Played half of last season for Sturt U/18's as an overage player and is still very raw in terms of his ability as a ruckman in senior footy.