Diamonds in the rough

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Yamumluvsbigcox, Dec 23, 2011.

1. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

Hiya!

I think Porplyzia is a great bet. Paying a little more mitigates some of the gamble on a rookie. We know hes definitely AFL material, we know he can score well, and we know we'll definitely get 50 - 70 points out of him a game...and he could be a gold mine.

A rookie carries the risk of not being ready/being played. (and they both share the risk of injury). THe rookie may also give us 50-70...and they may also be a gold mine

He's IN for me as a certainty.

I'm looking for someone similar in the Mid... I have 4 premiums, 2 rookies on the field, and 2 rookies on the bench. Would like to mitigate the 4 rookies with a certain starter. Toying with the idea of T.Colyer - someone who could break out. Thoughts?

PS: Watch Lake closely - bargain, but might not be fit for round 1

Blue Dreamer

2. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

Is anyone considering Eski? If he returns to his 2010 form he could be a keeper. Anyone thinking about taking a risk with him?

3. cdcanman

cdcanman New Member

<blockquote>Quote from BlueDreamer on February 3, 2012, 13:57
    Hiya!

I think Porplyzia is a great bet. Paying a little more mitigates some of the gamble on a rookie. We know hes definitely AFL material, we know he can score well, and we know we'll definitely get 50 - 70 points out of him a game...and he could be a gold mine.

A rookie carries the risk of not being ready/being played. (and they both share the risk of injury). THe rookie may also give us 50-70...and they may also be a gold mine

He's IN for me as a certainty.

I'm looking for someone similar in the Mid... I have 4 premiums, 2 rookies on the field, and 2 rookies on the bench. Would like to mitigate the 4 rookies with a certain starter. Toying with the idea of T.Colyer - someone who could break out. Thoughts?

PS: Watch Lake closely - bargain, but might not be fit for round 1

Blue Dreamer</blockquote>

I'm not going anywhre near B. Lake. He needs to prove that he can not only stay on the park, but perform to a valuable level before I go anywhere near him.
    If his injury history isn't enough to deter you, just listen to the talk that comes out of his own club about him. Its constantly implied that he is a little 'fragile' mentally.
    Stear clear.
    If he proves me wrong, pick him up mid season as an upgrade.

4. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

Might have had a poor inflection on that PS about Lake...

Was acknowledging he is cheap, but tread really carefully. I'm not sold.

5. 11kgm

11kgm New Member

Any good roughy for the forward line already got Walsh

6. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Im a carlton fan and Kane Lucas is miles off being a regular; his disposal is poor, he doesn't get a hard ball, plus he looks too much like Mitchel Johnson so may have mum issues

7. kitkat

kitkat New Member

@bluedreamer
    Consider Gaff, a bit awkwardly priced, but his scores from last year include at least half a dozen games as the sub where he still managed to score 50-60 points. In a few games where he played whole matches he scored 80-100 showing quite good potential.
    With a second pre season under his belt and with a lot more game time he should quite easily increase his average from 60 to at least 80+ IMHO

8. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke New Member

GaryReal, perhaps you haven't seen him this preseason? He is flying and if he stays on course I would be shocked if he's not in the 22 vs Richmond.

9. apolis

apolis New Member

re: Gaff

His 2011 average of 62 is deceptive. He played 14 games last year, but he was the sub in 6 of them. Discounting those 6 games where he was the sub, he got scores of 73, 82, 46, 118, 94, 91, 40 and 82.

So his actual average is 78.

His 2012 starting price is 331k where a player with an average of 78 is priced at 424k, meaning he is almost 100k undervalued.

10. Mattoc

Mattoc New Member

anyone think beau wilkes will get some good time at the saints??

11. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

@ cdcanman lake is not injury prone he had multiple injurys last year which required post season ops on that he tried to train and play through knowing that if he went for surgury his season was over. Before that he had only missed 2 games in 6 seasons . Warrior come to mind!

@ Mattoc Beau Wilkes will slot strait into the key back position that zac Dawson left . Scott watters was a big factor in him getting drafted by the saints I don't think they did it for him to play Vfl

12. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Not exactly a diamond, but bachar houli i reckon can avg over 100!!! liked him at the dons when he couldnt get a game and now he is in second season at tigers reckon he is a very very good back option!! only problem is havinh him and delidio both in the backlines !! thoughts

13. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Hows Webber BBQ going these days. Cheap again this year. Any Tigers fans know much about him?

14. higgins69

higgins69 New Member

what are the thoughts on Gaff vs Barlow

15. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

Good advice kitkat/apolis... I'll see if i can find a space for Gaff.

You know those years when your first cut seems to be the best, and no matter how much you rework, you just keep coming back? I'm having one of those. I almost want to close the thing, and not reopen it until 2 days before the season proper. But then how would I fill my days? *grin*

16. bigshow

bigshow Member

Seems like the backline has a few risky players this season. Neeld giving the captaincy to Grimes is a fair pointer that he may be over some of his issues and ready to go. Marty Clarke, does he fit into buck's plans? If Lake is fit, he's great value and has to be considered. If all three are raring to go round 1, you m ight just have three diamonds on the one line!!

17. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from ThommoDees on February 3, 2012, 14:05
    Is anyone considering Eski? If he returns to his 2010 form he could be a keeper. Anyone thinking about taking a risk with him?</blockquote>
    Eski is in my team !!. He's a vital link in the Swans attacking back and with Ty now gone will get even more ball feed. He took 18 months to recover from his 1st knee and 09 was a shocker for him (I got burnt on him that year) had him in 2010 from the start and tasted champagne all year.
    He came back last year and showed he has lost nothing except fitness which he'll have back now. I rate him 90-95&#37; chance for a 100+ average and at 367K and change thats bang for your bucks imo.

18. BenWyld

BenWyld New Member

Anyone looking at Masten from WC, seemed to finish last year off quite well.

19. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

Not hearing much about Phil Davis (GWS) - &#36;280k. Certainly a talent, motivated to lead from the front by his move. Does he have the capacity to earn a regular 75-85?

Anyone got any thoughts?

20. crew

crew New Member

@BlueDreamer:
    Phil Davis is a talent no question. Won rising star then dropped following week and struggled to get a gig. I noticed as I had him in my team and Neil Craig's picture was on my dartboard!!!. Can only put it down to discipline/personal reasons as to him not playing season out .Probally told Neil to get stuffed during one of his rants lol. Good news is new coach, fresh slate, kid gets a regular gig and he can net about 150k profit while gaining you some good points early while the cows fatten then upgrade/downgrade if his scores stay at 75-85 is where I rate him aswell.