2012 ruck options

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Knucklebusters, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I am going 1 1 2 at this stage 1 0 3 is too big a risk for me. Some NAB cup exposure and form may change the approach but for now I have McEvoy, Zack Smith, Giles and Stephenson, the first two am very keen on, the second two are just the most likely atm. McEvoy is pretty much the saints only ruckman, he will be gold, and I think Clarke has claimed the #1 spot at GC.

2. bonesy

bonesy Member

<blockquote>Quote from tonyc on February 3, 2012, 10:30
    Guys, it may have already been addressed elsewhere (and if so, my apologies), but I have a question for the gurus here. I recall that last year Champion Data made a change to ruck (tap to advantage) scoring that meant ruckmen's scores for the year were inflated. There was talk that they would rectify this scoring anomoly this year - has it happened?

Of course, this doesn't help in terms of who you choose, as the relativities of ruck scores will be maintained, it's just that they ahould all come down a little, suggesting SC scores across the board won't be as high this year. Or am I completely missing the point?</blockquote>

I think the sub rule caused a change in ruck scoring more then the HO to advantage scoring.

Two years ago it was the norm to have two ruckmen sharing the workload. Now most teams play one ruckman for 80&#37; of the time who barely comes off the ground, with a smaller player pinch hitting when he rests.

3. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

Hi All,

I'm going with a 2 Premium strategy. (Set and Forget. Hoping rookies will deliver like Zac Smith did is a big ask - remember he'd been a professional sportsman for a while and turned 21 last year)

I think the major decision maker for me in this is the new SC trading rules which will allow me to capitalize on cash gain of rookie ruckmen with much less stress.

I've gone for Big Cox and Kruuuuuze (under review) with Giles and O as my rookies.

Blue Dreamer!

4. Buzzboys

Buzzboys Member

Looking at spending 1.1m on 2 premium rucks. Choices are:

1. McEvoy - Leuey
    2. Goldy/Mummy/Sandi - Nicnat/Ryder
    3. Coxy - Kruuuuza

Leaning towards McEvoy - Leuey

Thoughts?

5. aerodyte

aerodyte New Member

@tonyc

If they were to re-calibrate the scoring for rucks this year (which I think would be a wise idea), then I think you would have to go with Sandilands as R1. He's the only ruckman to consistently score at an elite level over the past 3 years, and his price is slightly deflated due to his foot injury last year. All other rucks avgs would fall, Sandilands should maintain around 110 (fully fit).

6. tonyc

tonyc New Member

^ Was my thinking too, actually. I've gone Sandi, Kreuzer and the two rookies that everyone has (Giles and Big O).

7. higgins69

higgins69 New Member

mummy and hamish ur two locks
    mummy is young and sydney have a amazing early draw he will be the highest scoring ruck
    hamish has ability to get u a fundemental hundred everyweek and be a cash cow or a keeper depending on how you want to play it

at the moment big O and giles will be my r3 and r4 depending on nab cup form

8. bonesy

bonesy Member

<blockquote>Quote from higgins69 on February 3, 2012, 14:12
    sex on the beach is the only way to go
    2 most dominate big men in the game
    both play in sides on the up
    lock in cox and sandi
    big O and giles/dextricks</blockquote>

I think the arguments against this are:

Cox: 31yo, NicNat's improvement

Sandi: Turf toe

9. Buzzboys

Buzzboys Member

tonyc

I like the Sandi, Kreuzer choice.

It frees up a bit of cash and it also allows for a possible upgrade in round 13 to the best performing r11/r12 ruckman.

10. kitkat

kitkat New Member

I'm going with Mummy and Zac Smith
    Mumford pulled some terrific scores last year and I've heard he was even playing with an injury, and Smith after a second pre-season should be even better prepared to last out the season after fading from round 18 last year. Both are easily the first choice for their teams, and have age on their side. If I'm correct Smith even had an interrupted pre-season last year, and with a better fitness base this season he should be able to maintain a 90+ average which he had for the first half of last season. More importantly I see both maintaining if not improving their averages, the two ruckmen with the least risk but greatest upside, and the byes work in well with them and my r3 and r4. After them I would look at the Berger and McEvoy.
    My R3 and R4 are pretty standard with Giles and Stephensen.

11. JackosDream

JackosDream Member

I agree with one of the earlier assessments about Sandi being under-valued and having elite scoring potential. Most of the top ruckmen are over priced and will drop in value. For me it's about finding a ruckman to pair with Sandi who will score well but is a cheaper option. At this stage Kreuzer looks tempting, but Warnock may be worth a punt, I had him as R3 last year and he scored well enough when needed. He's getting to that age where he should start coming into his own as a ruckman.

12. Beauy

Beauy New Member

Keep any eye on Redden from PA, Lobbe is injured for some time and I can't 100&#37; confirm it but Renouf is injured also.

PA could be in trouble for ruck options but it's good news for R3 or R4.

13. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

@Beauy

Lobbe will be back by Round 4 at latest, club anticipating between R1 & R4 - he won't be too affected by the surgery as he had managed to build a really solid fitness base before surgery.

As for Renouf, he has been on a modified program over pre-season and should join the main group within next week or 2 at most.

Redden is still learning his craft and won't be much of a chance for games unless Lobbe & Renouf go down with LTI's - he is still very raw as far as being a regular AFL ruckman goes.

Most likely scenario is for Renouf & Redden to get some NAB action, and they will be backed up by pinch-hitters such as Westhoff & D.Stewart - and those 2 players will likely support Renouf once R1 comes if Lobbe isn't ready.

14. Beauy

Beauy New Member

Good work Bearfly.

15. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

BTW Beauy, are you SA based???

If you are, check out the thread regarding TS SA League, we are still looking to fill the league with proud South Aussies ;)

16. HudsonFysh

HudsonFysh Member

I am thinking about ordering the Quarter Pounder ... (McEvoy-Luenberger)

17. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I have Mcevoy and Smith atm, if I free up enough cash Mcevoy will be mummy at first bounce

18. obleex

obleex New Member

Mumford and Goldstein at the moment.

19. jibba

jibba Member

Sandi + Mummy for me :)

20. 11kgm

11kgm New Member

Sandi West/McIntosh Giles and the Big O