Guidance for picking a SuperCoach team in 2012

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Gonaddz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

@Gonaddz

Congrats on your first effort mate.

My advice is to work really hard to deliver a balanced team. Spread your points spend across your 4 area's - to Me your ruck and backlines look a little thin.

Backs:
    Your backline could be solid if Lake and Drummond become "premium" point scorers. I'd add another premium here for cover. Some of your cheaper options could be down graded to promising rookies, to allow you to upgrade others? (Note: I have Lake as well. Taking a calculated risk is totally cool; just make it deliberate, and mitigate it with a dpp and bench support)

Mids
    I like your mids, although I agree that if your using Goodes, he might be better in the FWD. THere's a buzz about GAFF as a cheap option in the mids - might be a compromise you can make when shuffling around. Dont be scared to punt on a couple of rookies here. Especially with GWS in play. Rookie mid fielders are more likely to hit the ground running than Key position players. Read up, there are heaps of options. (Shiel looks likely from GWS)

Ruck
    Needs some work IMHO. If your taking the path of Kruuuuze and a rookie (I have 2x premiums) then look at Giles or Stephenson who are rookies likely to start.

Forward
    I think you've stacked your forward line full of Key forwards and big bodies under the premise that "goal kickers are point scorers". They sure can be but I've found them to be a little inconsistant sometimes. You'll ride a rollercoaster! Get a rainy day in Melbourne and find that Cloke, Kennedy, Hurley (and even Buddy and NRoo) cant get there hands on it.

In my opinion, and others might disagree, balance your big players with some smaller forwards, particularly those that roate through the mid. Cyril, Stevie J or Chappy, Dustin Martin are options, but there are heaps out there

Hope this helps mate.

Brad

2. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

lezyeoh, Bearfly, BlueDreame Thank You

Lots to think about and shuffle around now I've done some movers so I hope this is better than my first attempt. I also put in my emergency players.

Rem. Salary Cap

$99,500

Defenders
    1. Goddard, 2. Burgoyne, S 3. Drummond, J 4. Lake, B 5. Warnock, M 6. Martin, B 7. Sierakowski, W
    (EMG Lynch, J Tunbridge, S)

Midfield
    8. Ablett, G 9. Dal Santo, N 10. Murphy, M 11. Gibbs 12. Coniglio, S 13. Morabito, A
    (EMG Williams, M Sheringham)

Rucks 14.Sandilands, A 15. Kreuzer, M (EMG Giles, J Hall, J)

Forwards
    16. Franklin, L 17. Goodes, A 18. Riewoldt, N 19. Kennedy, J 20. Hurley, M 21. Macaffer, B 22. Zorko, D
    (EMG Williams, L Papertalk, C)

3. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

When can these line ups be seen by a pro coach? I figure if I'm in the top 8 by the 5th round I'm donating to this site BIG TIME!

4. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Gonaddz - there are 6000 logins and if everyone just paid $20 then Walesy could actually live the dream he deserves. Think abt that, cos he runs this site from home and we all get the same sort of help you just got in this thread. We all love it, and he works it 24/7. he needs people to donate, and in my opinion, he shld charge. Youll get more than $50 value in a year, lets face it. This is not a commercial venture like heraldsun. word.

5. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

PS: get rid of C.Papertalk - NEVER pick a rookie who wont play this week.

6. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Wow I didn't know that GaryReal. This is something I'll seriously pay for if it works. Like I said before this hasn't been easy for me and I want to get better at it so if the info I'm getting is solid not just a bunch of guys telling me what they "guess" would work then I will be more than happy to put some cash to the owner. And thank you for the tip! I pulled out C.Papertalk and put in Dick Brad........hehehe damn did that sound right?

Edit: I just donated as I am very thankful for the help I received. This site could possibly save me the humiliation I went through last year so I'm showing my support and will show MORE if I do better.

7. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

Gonaddz... I'm certain there will be mountains of talk about rookies on this forum during the NAB cup. We'll all change them a lot in the week before Rd 1.

8. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Thank for letting me know BlueDreamer as I'm in a state of worry this time of yeah. I will check back and see what talk is to be had with the NAB cup then I could see my team drastically changed. Just crossing my fingers as a newbie trying to stay alive around a group of friends who are so cut throat about fantasy footbool.

9. G'day Gonaddz,
    There will always be some people here who have a sound knowledge base of experience, but also those that just "guess". More often than not it will be a combination of the two. Best tip I can give at this stage of the year (before NAB etc), is that anything Walesy or Lucas writes is gold, and anything else should be taken with a grain of salt. No doubt it is all good advice to consider, but at the end of the day we're all pretty similar on here and are just trying to improve so don't take everything said as gospel and keep checking back regularly

10. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

disagree. I know everything. take my word as gospel. lol.
    joking.

11. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from BlueBeliever on February 6, 2012, 13:10
    Best tip I can give at this stage of the year (before NAB etc), is that anything Walesy or Lucas writes is gold, and anything else should be taken with a grain of salt.</blockquote>

Ain't that the truth? :D

Look, to be honest, your starting team is not that bad, but your rookies need work. Take a look at the NAB cup and our subsequent analysis on rookies and get some in there.

Generally mature aged rookies have had a better track record of getting game time and hence points. And given they are rookies, you are paying less for them which means you can spend more money on elite players.

For example from last season
    Ed Curnow (early)
    Paul Puopolo
    Isaac Smith
    Tendai Mzungu
    and the list goes on

Not sure of the options for this season but I'm sure some big ones will appear within a fortnight.

The other thing I'd note is try to mix up your squad around the bye weeks (if not already).

Try to have 3 players in DEF from teams in each bye round, at least 2 in MID and at least one RUC.

Get your rookies and your bye round teams well organised and you will have a great time playing this year.

12. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Walesy and Lucas need to go on my speed dial!

Thanks Lucas and you have the 1049 posts to prove it. You have to understand that last year was my very 1st year playing Supercoach and I hit rock bottom. Mainly for the reason I didn't know how to trade and make subs. Coming around this year I'm trying my best to understand the players and positions. I even continued playing fantasy EPL just to get a better idea of things (Currently 19/20) so a learning curve I guess. If I was only in Australia when the fantasy sport took off (I used to live in China for 10 years) but now I'm home I have a lot of catching up to do.....

13. FYI walesy owns and runs the site, and Lucas is probably the main article writer/insert correct title here. Both very knowledgeable

14. Clutties

Clutties New Member

My advice would be to not worry too much about the money- by this I mean your player prices/salary cap. Have faith in your 'Premiums'. Don't get rid of Joel Selwood just because he gets knocked out, scores 25, and has a week off. Think of the bigger picture!
    Most players are always carrying some sort of injury or are coming back from some major surgery....so just hope that your boys will be managed ok by the powers that be, and they'll be there when you need them. Having said this, SCoach finals time seems to coincide with players 'being rested'. Cyril & Buddy messed up a lot of SCoaches late in the year....

Try to keep a little coin in the bank. Even if it's just &#36;10k. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to do your 1st trades and finding you are &#36;1200 short! Try to put yourself on a 'Trade Diet'. Then try to stick to the said 'Trade Diet'. 24 trades = 14 trades for 7 upgrades, (at 2 a pop), & 10 trades for sideways/injuries/suspensions & spuds. (read some threads on here about Trading....there are MANY theories!).

Try to have a good spread of teams represented. You'll find you'll watch more games, and therefore know more about what's happening & who's hot and who's not.
    Most importantly- have fun! Even though we're here on 'TooSerious', it's always just a bit of fun. More often than not, it's Blind Freddy who will win your league. (like my Mum, who just shuts her eyes & picks 30 random players because 'she likes them').

15. shaghar

shaghar New Member

sensational advice guys , 2nd year player 1st timer in this web site , learning more every day

thanks !!

:)

16. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Well said Clutties! I can't seem to stop playing around with my team and just reduced more cash from the kitty. At 24,300, Put in Pendlebury and Hunt,J. Have a great mix of teams as I feel my side is getting stronger! Who knows I might make the top 8 this year! One can dream.......

17. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

OK! Not long now till the NAB Cup starts and convocation starts flying around! I just wanted to know about the etiquette this site runs on. Should I post on the subjects I want to talk about or just keep posting in the same place to keep all my info current? Also how does this "Rate My Team" business work? Cheers for that.

18. Post in the thread relevant to what you're posting generally, and if there's something you just have to know that you can't find out anywhere else, create your own thread in the forum asking the question.

Rate my team around here will usually be held off until near the end of the NAB cup so everyone has a better idea on rookies etc, and Walesy will put a main page thread up where everyone can look at other peoples teams and provide feedback to them, and also post their own team for comment. Etiquette is to comment on a few of the teams directly above yours when you post yours up, to help everyone get some varied feedback of some kind.

19. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Cheers BlueBeliever! I hate to come to a new forum family and mess it up. Getting excited now!! Let the games begin

20. No problem, I must admit the off-season has dragged. I'll be glad to see some footy again