Questions for Champion Data.

Discussion in 'AFL' started by walesy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

You might remember last year, we had the opportunity to ask a few questions of the guys from Champion Data.

http://tooserious.net/from-inside-the-world-of-champion-data

Well, seems that that went well, so we've been allowed to do it again!

So let's open the floor, you guys got any questions you'd like to ask?

(and as with last time, try to keep specific performances out of it - ie: why did Rioli score 100 in the 3rd quarter off 7 possessions)

2. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Why are we only allowed to enter 5 leagues? (yea i know it probably isnt CD area but damn it i want to know)

3. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Why does Luffy have it in for Jimmy Bartel, Karl?

4. spud

spud New Member

Why did they send me a job opportunity application for WA when I live in Melbourne? Sif leave the heart of footy...

How many points will Selwood be awarded for hooking up with a character from his favourite tv show?

(place holders until I think up something i genuinely want answered)

5. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Ya, you know that one is going in there Hornsy! :)

6. The_General

The_General Member

I got one walesy.

We saw a massive change in the scoring of rucks last year, due to the sub rule and probably some tinkering on CD's part to their formula. Will that remain the same this year or will their be some adjustments.

As it stands we probably have 6+ premium rucks to choose from for 2 spots, whereas there is only really 2 premium defenders.

7. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

Why has the score from a clanger handball gone from
    -6 to -4 back to -6, why didn't they go to -5 at some point?

8. FlyUp

FlyUp Member

<blockquote>Quote from The_General on February 8, 2012, 17:14
    I got one walesy.

We saw a massive change in the scoring of rucks last year, due to the sub rule and probably some tinkering on CD's part to their formula. Will that remain the same this year or will their be some adjustments.

As it stands we probably have 6+ premium rucks to choose from for 2 spots, whereas there is only really 2 premium defenders.</blockquote>

This is one I want to find out as well! good work General :D

Also want to know what impact the new stat marks from a lead will have?

9. Kanga18

Kanga18 New Member

Saw a rumour in one of the threads about a change to the points awarded to pressure acts, such as tackles. Is this true?

10. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Which one player would you nominate to be the most likely to dominate their area on the field (Back, Mid, Ruck & Fwd), SC & DT if different?

11. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

What criteria were used to select which players got DPP this year? It seems highly random, particularly for tall players. For example, Paddy Ryder played more than half of 2011 as a key forward, yet he is still listed as a RUC only for 2012. What would Paddy have to do to become a F/R player for 2013?

12. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I think we have all heard about extra points given for a mark on a lead - but I would love some clarifaction, exactly how many points are given and how is it determined whether its a mark on a lead or not.

13. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

Do they think the HeraldSun monopoly on SC will ever be broken. What would it take for the AFL to allow a wider or more open SC market based on ChampionData stats ?? Given the massive uptake in SC participants (and DT) over the past decade, surely there is room for more than one provider.

14. JMDS

JMDS New Member

When do they think they will bring in the drafting leagues? I heard it's being trialled this year.

15. Will there be any increase in the scoring for defensive pressure acts over the next couple of years? Spoiled marks or contesting a possesion resulting in a stoppage I feel aren't weighted very well

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Will there be any attempt to look at the "burn rate" of midfield possessions that lead directly to the hot spot and/or a goal?

I know there are points for scoring assists, but often the assist comes from a game situation 2 plays previous which created the loose man.

Are there moves afoot to try to look at the "go the other way" factor? If Swan/Judd plays and gets 30 possessions but his opponents get 28 the other way, is he less valuable than someone who gets 20 but restricts his man to 15?

Is there any way to reward KPDs more, or is it just the nature of their game that they are generally seen to be unskilled and negating due to the nature of their role, rather than creative? I just think a game where Taylor shuts down Franklin (but does little else) should be rewarded more than a couple of chips under limited pressure around a half back line by a player like Adcock.

What has CD learned about player management from Geelong's premiership last season? Considering in the prospectus they said the Cats could not win given their age profile.

Is there anything recorded about the effectiveness of a tackle? Pendlebury gets 150 the last few seasons but he hardly does much more than a cursory arm grab, where other players such as Bolton play a junkyard dog, and make a lot more stoppages.

17. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

Just noticed the Reyne 'Hammerhead' tag Lucas. Nice touch, fine song. But my song blows yours away, should be the Crows club song.

18. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

Why do they even record stats for Raph Clarke? Surely it would be best if those figures be left unknown!

19. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

I find that there's heaps of stats in the Prospectus so this question from me might be due to me just getting confused with the amount of info in there.

From CD's analysis, which stats appear to correlate most with premiership or winning teams? Eg is it something like &#37; of possession in forward half, clearances, a kick to handball ratio of x:y, something else?

20. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Onion all about the ORFFL on James Reyne, I'm the coach of the Humpty Doo Hammerheads. Nothing to do with Majak Daw, move along.