nab cup rookies

Discussion in 'AFL' started by teraferma, Feb 16, 2012.

1. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I think LeCras' spot will end up going to Ham's. Although it would be good to see Weedon in the team.

2. grav

grav Guest

Fair call, forgot Hams didn't have regular spot. He certainly stood up on the weekend.

3. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Yeah, I thought he was really impressive, if he wasn't so akwardly priced I'd probably consider him.

4. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Docherty has had surgery on his hip. Unlikely to play in NAB unless there has been fresh news over the last 2-3 days

5. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Can't believe there hasnt been any love for Tomlinson from GWS. Number 9 draft pick overall. Looked very polished and scored well in both games. Only issue is his price at 156k but can link with Smedts as d/f. His other GWS competition will come from Bugg (d) and Cooyou (f). Darley is virtually locked as a d

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

"only issue is his price"

That's the problem with most players.

Unfortunately I think mostly you will look to GWS rookies to get the money into the bank and then cash them in to improve your side.

They aren't likely to be keepers, and probably won't be on the field that much because they will get smacked.

I don't see too many players at the "Danny Stanley" value to start with you can rely on through the stretch.

Maybe Sam Reid, maybe James McDonald, though both are probably still more cow than cover.

7. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

NAB hitout is a bit much of nothing though. Always assumed Tomlinson was more of a project player so not necessarily going to get regular game time. Too much of a gamble for me.

8. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Is there any evidence for him being 'project'? And can GWS afford not to give him decent game time given their other options? Just asking.

9. port_leschenault

It's only my view, so since I'm not Mark Williams I could be completely wrong but going by how they recruited and Kevin Sheey's mock Round 1 team, they'll play 3 of their mature recruits down the back. That means 3 spots up for grabs. Presuming Mohr is a lock at this stage, That's 2 spots to go to Darley, Bugg, Kennedy, Townsend and Tomlinson. I'd have the first two mentioned as players who will be given first crack whereas Tomlinson may be given a crack throught the season but more time spent in the magoos

10. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Tommy on February 20, 2012, 11:01
    Docherty has had surgery on his hip. Unlikely to play in NAB unless there has been fresh news over the last 2-3 days</blockquote>

Hadnt seen this news! thanks mate

11. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

These rookies are dropping like flies! Seems like there will be a lot of rookies to upgrade to mid-year though!

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

NTS
    The danger is that they come back and play 3 games before the other rookies are due to blossom. I think there should be a nice crop later in the year, but I'm being hopeful rather than offering a prediction.

As always, there's going to be a degree of luck as to whether you have a player ready to upgrade/cash in at the very time that there are options to downgrade/upgrade to.

13. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

Is there any 'Gold' left in the Gold Coast?

Not hearing any hot tips from down there at all. Surely there must be some some second year bloomers? Surely?

14. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

@Lucas

There's always rookies to pick during upgrade season. Even as the quality drops off, so does your team's need for them.

15. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Very true Lucas, timing could be an issue for some of them.

@BlueDreamer Kyal Horsley was one I was big on a couple of months ago, he averaged 28 disposals and 138sc points per game in the WAFL last year but I haven't heard much from him during the preseason, hopefully the NAB cup will tell us more. Keep in mind he needs to be elevated off the rookie list though.

16. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Very early doors yet, but maybe these stats won't translate into the big league. Definitely one to monitor over the NAB.

17. Dave80

Dave80 New Member

Who's got some news about Bennett from the bombers? Seemed to have some of it going by the scores posted by freako! Anyone?

18. port_leschenault

I think we were spoilt for choices last year with downgrade targets: Poops, Hibberd, I.Smith, Mzungu and more. So I think that even though there'll be some, it wont be as obvious as it was last year.

I've still got Horseley earmarked, remember we've only seen 9 teams play, so half the rookies haven't featured this week.

Next week I'll be interested in how Kyal goes along with L.Brown, Ross, Wilkes, Smedts, Stephenson.

19. tolla

tolla New Member

Dave - Bennett from the Bombers... ahh what?

20. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

<blockquote>Quote from tolla on February 21, 2012, 13:01
    Dave - Bennett from the Bombers... ahh what?</blockquote>

Maybe he means Merrett?....