GnR Rookie Ratios

Discussion in 'AFL' started by schumie, Feb 24, 2012.

1. schumie

schumie New Member

Hi All,

Been tinkering with my team for a while now, however, felt the need to ask the quests that has been dogging me for a week now.

How many premium players is considered ideal for a starting team, I know if your going full GnR you can squeeze 14 or so, but there are so many mid priced options this year.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers.

2. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

I've got 13 on my team, but its a good question. I've been playing around with my team too but things can be hard with so many great options. I'm just waiting out for the "Rate My Team" gig to start then I'll have an idea where I stand.

3. The_General

The_General Member

@schumie

No wrong or right answer as it is very dependant on the quality and amount of mid-pricers available.

For a GnR strategy you would want at most 2-3 midpricers. This year you don't have to worry about Patton or at this stage Coniglio, so the rookies are a little cheaper. This will allow more premiums.

I would say a 13/3/14 or even a 14/3/14 strategy is definitely viable.

4. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

While we are on the topic I just wanted to confirm exactly how much is a premium? 400 and up? mids are what 200 and up? Just trying to make sure my understanding is right.

5. The_General

The_General Member

@Gonaddz

Depends heavily on position and opinion. In the mids anything under 500k could be seen as midpriced.

Someone like M Clarke to me is a midpricer. As you could get a good rookie option for 106k.

I think you might actually be better off determining mid or premium status based on where they finished in that position last year (ignoring LTI's)

6. demonspud

demonspud Member

I'd go with premiums at 550 up.

I think mids are 300-400k, ones that are ready for a 20pt rise to push them in the 95+ scores.

I'm going with rookies at less than 150k, or even 120k.

Between that are my no-mans land, and if I go with someone in the 400-500 brackets its a fallen prem on the return, NRoo, Brown, Hayes, Barlow. Or a R2 option.

If its someone in the 150-300k its either an injured player, or a traded player in a new team.

This I believe is the biggest risk area in value, as they might just hover around that price and go nowhere, or not earn you enough money, compared to a rookie. A mid pricer who will score more points consistently, to win you games, though will be upgraded later, and might bang out an odd good game to bring up their price.

7. Clutties

Clutties New Member

Ha! To "squeeze" 14 premiums into your team is spot on! Because it's a fair bit of squeezin' goin' on there...,

I reckon DEF prems are 90pts +
    MID prems 110pts +
    RUCKS 100+
    FWD 95 +

now, I've been crunching the numbers ALL day...and I reckon you can't really get more than 11 or 12 Premiums in your team. The 'squeeze' is when you have all your rookies @ $94,700, and that's just a tad silly, as it's more likely the $106, $113 & above priced rookies will be getting the run.

I've come up with a few 13/14 Premium combos, but I'm counting my 'Dodgy Past Performers' as Premiums. eg : Lake (105), Brown (98), Hayes (104) etc. No, I'm not silly enough to have all three! But there is always one or two in the mix, (add Barlow, the Porpoise....the list goes on....).

With the 'dodgy' ones in play, I always seem to come up with 13-3-14

8. schumie

schumie New Member

Cheers all, I'm in agreement with you clutties. That's pretty much the structure I'm rocking ATM!

9. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

For me about $480,000+ is a premium. So far my team has been structured: 14/1/15, 15/0/15, 14/0/16

10. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

13-2-15 atm
    had
    13-0-17 & 14-1-15
    R1 squads will pick the eventual winner, though I like where I am at right now.

11. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I currently have 14-0-16...still a work in progess though.

12. donatello

donatello New Member

I started with 14/0/16 with premiums 5/2/2/5, now I/m looking at 12/3/15 with premiums 3/4/2/3 and one mid price def/mid/fwd. I've got a day off and have a sore foot, which means my team will change another 4 or 5 times before my wife gets home, but that's the fun of it, isn't it.

13. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Im calling a premium anyone over $400k which means Ive got a 20-0-10 ahahaha

14. Philbya01

Philbya01 New Member

I've got 12/3/15 ATM but that depends on your opinion of what a prem is and what a mid is, Suckling?