Rookie midfield... (team included)

Discussion in 'AFL' started by obleex, Feb 27, 2012.

1. obleex

obleex New Member

What are people's thoughts on a team along these lines...

DEF: Goddard Scotland Deledio Shaw Fisher Broughton Smedts (Bugg Wilkes)

MID: Pendles (C) Ledger Gibson Neale McDonald Magner (L Brown Golds)

RUCK: Cox Mumford (Giles Stephensen)

FWD: Franklin Goodes Fyfe O'Keefe Martin Cripps Saad (Treloar Dell'Olio)

Just the 51k left to spend...

At this stage the rookies are all interchangeable until we know more about their job security. My question is more to do with the tactic itself at this stage though. I feel that there's more points to be had for the midfield rookies than the def or fwd rookies so I've gone big in the other areas of the ground to make up points there. May or may not actually use this tactic but was just keen to see what everyones thoughts were?

Cheers.

Edit: Haven't taken byes into consideration at this stage.

2. nolanb13

nolanb13 New Member

It is true that there is alot of cash to be made in the mid rookies, but the premiums are so much better than anything that you'll get in the fowardline and backline. Super risky plan, but it could pay off very well around the middle of the year when you are rolling in the cash. Also, looks like you'll be in big bye trouble mate. Hope you've made plenty of trades by Round 11. Good luck, will be interesting to see the result.

3. kitkat

kitkat New Member

After today's final round 1 matches I started playing around with a similar structure. It does seem that the highest quality rookies are in the midfield, with the talent dropping off in defenders and even more in the forwards. A team structured like this would probably start off slow but from rounds 7 on would start to improve a lot faster than other teams, the only question being would it be enough catch up with the leaders?

4. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

yeah its a cool vibe, im into it too.
    Only thing ive considered so far is that we all choose our rookies PRESUMING well be able to downgrade suitably thru-out the year...and im not so sure its gonna be that clean cut this year, espec with bye rounds. Thats gonna be inbuilt into all trades, further restricting options. i cert agree Ledger looked handy and good job sec. Is golds a for/mid? otherwise you aint got a sub there. also im not so sure Neale is gonna get THAT much gametime at freo, but he did well anyway.

5. whips

whips New Member

My major problem with this team is the lack of flexibility with a captain. And this is so important!
    IMO there are only two consistent C's in Pendles and Cox with a query on Cox. (Make sense of that!)
    Goddard was a risk last year and while Franklin is a lock in most teams, key forwards can't be trusted.
    The lack of MID prem's means a lack of 100+ consistent scorers as captain.

6. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

If there weren't so many damn rookie mids looking so tasty, I'd be running a 5 premium mid squad.

There's just such a big difference between the scoring capacity of the rookies mids compared to premiums.

At least when you compare it to the other lines.

ie:

Mids you're looking at a 110-130 from the prems, 70 for a rookie (80+ if you're lucky), making a 40-60 point difference.

Your forwards and backs, you're looking at 90-110, with your rookies approaching that same 70 mark, leaving a much more manageable 20-40 point difference. Heck, they'd have to average you 50 to cause you the same level of headache when upgrading. (Hello triple upgrades for mids!)

7. kitkat

kitkat New Member

The hard part is finding rookies who will average 70 in your forwards - last year there were only 3 - Darling, Smith & Mzungu. With the majority of forward rookies averaging <70 this would make the point loss almost equal I would think. In def and mids last year there were 8 -10 rookies that averaged >70, so there might be some merit in at least loading your forward line with premiums and exposing your backs and mids to more rookies.

8. whips

whips New Member

@walsey
    Are the MID rookies looking so tasty or is it just difficult to find some stand-outs amongst an ordinary lot?
    With the many higher drafted rookies looking unlikely for Rd 1, I think it's a bit of a lottery.
    There's 5 prem MID's in my team as a result but the rest of the NAB may paint a different picture.

9. walesy

Definitely need to base it on where we see the best value after the nab, but after that you do have to remember that it's only really the on-field that counts for points- which means that playing the fixtures well early can really work in your favour (ie- playing the rookie on field who's facing the GWS, benching them against the pies will raise their active average as far as your team is concerned.)

Though if it forces you to have 2 40ave scrubs on the forward bench, that'll definitely hamper your ability to generate cash, so it's definitely a balancing act!~

10. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I think whilst there has been a lot of standout rookie mids so far, we are still yet to see any of the actual full length NAB matches, by mid march I think they're will be more options across all lines....or at least I hope so! Maximising your premium points whilst picking the best rookies you can to increase in value is the key, Couldn't agree more about it being a balancing act!

11. Herbie66

Herbie66 New Member

@ obleex

certainly been thinking along the same lines with a all 8 rookie midfield (the issue is they need to all play the first 6 to 8 rounds) and score enough points ( 50 - 75+ ) each week to then fatten up and then be used to rtade down and up

TEAM NAME: Herbies All Stars
    DEF: B. Goddard, H. Scotland, B. Deledio, J. Adcock, G. Johncock, J. Grimes, B. Lake (S. Darley, J. Townsend)
    MID: S. Clifton, T. Golds, C. Hampton, A. Miles, S. Reid, D. Shiel (A. Treloar, J. McDonald)
    RUC: D. Cox, S. Mumford (J. Giles, O. Stephenson)
    FWD: L. Franklin, A. Goodes, M. Pavlich, R. O'Keefe, P. Chapman, N. Riewoldt, J. Brown (J. Cameron, A. Kennedy)
    CASH LEFT: $39,800

GWS certainly offers plenty with Clifton, Golds, Hampton, Miles, Reid, Shiel Treloar and Mc Donald, then after NAB Round 1 Neale, Gibson, Magner and ledger caught the eye

allows 3 premium backs, Adcock & Johncock plus the risk (reward) of Grimes and Lake
    Cox and Mumford possible captain options
    5 premium forwards, plus Riewoldt and J.Brown

guess I have a month to monitor it and see if I am brave enough to do it

12. graeme

graeme Guest

@Herbie66
    you are right - plenty of time to monitor via NAB.

Walesy, our superstar boss, will start a thread for feedback on teams at a later date. That's the time not now

regards
    chels

13. walesy

Yeah, the general idea that we shot for around these parts is that we don't rate teams until after the nab.

The reason: everything always changes after each week! Then what happens is people get burnt out RMTing and when it comes to the shove, people are over it!

Happy to discuss structures, and the effects of them through the season all day though! :D

14. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, the structure of your team Herbie is not something I would even consider.

You need to have at least 2 or 3 potential captain choices in the mids right from the start. You will lose too many points early on if you don't. Just my opinion though.

15. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Why in the mids, he has Cox & Mumford, both possible epic scorers?
    I don't have the fortitude to try the tactic, but if it works it will work brilliantly I suspect.

16. Spifflicator

Spifflicator New Member

I think as a strategy, this offers more than the 1 prem, 3 rookies Ruck strategy. The difficulty I see with having all 8 mids as rookies, is picking 8 that play till at least round 5 or 6 so that you can start making enough cash to get into prems. The difficulty is that may not have upgraded into enough premiums by the time midseason bye rolls around, by which time you are too far behind to catch up. The upside is that IF you lucky enough to pick 4 or 5 who score 80+ over the first 6 or so rounds you will be rolling in cash, but you may need to burn 1 or 2 trades to ensure you have the right ones.

I am suspect that running 2 premiums (both perma captains) and 6 rookies may be a better approach than 8 rookies.

17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

I'm on board with the 2 prem/6 rookie midfield, it allows you to play the higher scoring rookies and fill out your forward and backlines with more premiums, taking the place of the lower scoring fwd and back rookies that you'll need to play on ground. As I stated on a different thread, a Murphy as a 3rd premium mid and Saad as an F6 for example will not score more than a Pavlich and Magner or Neale starting on the ground, plus Magner and Neale will make more money than Saad.

An 8 rookie or even 7 rookie midfield deprives you of midfield scoring power from the off and viable captain choices, a 2/6 midfield strikes a decent balance. Ideally a 3/5 structure would be the go however there haven't been enough decent forward and back rookies for starting positions to allow for this imo.

18. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Spiff, yep that seems my thoughts as well.
    Mind you an 8 x GWS rookie midfield is certainly putting the cajones out there isn't it.

I would think that you could find 4 mids from other clubs with better job security and probably points earning potential. Gotta remember it's likely that GWS will probably play a 2 games on, one game off strategy for their entire list this season.

19. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Angry I'd agree on forward rookies to date, but back rookies look OK don't they?

20. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

You're right Lucas, the back rookies are more plentiful than those up forward and there are at two that could easily start on the ground and score from the off, however if you're stacking your forwards and rucks with premiums then the midfield will have to give.