When the Paywall goes up, which side will you be on?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by tAdmin, Mar 7, 2012.

1. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Are we only talkn phones or are you saying that I can't see my scores on the internet site during/after each game?

2. All Heavy, internet and phones included

3. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Nice pull, Lucas and SCTalk. Looks like they're going after Brownlow multis.

4. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

So that's why the SC site layout is so shocking this year, spent all their time on this shenanigan.

5. schumie

schumie New Member

Ok, so question to anyone who knows, if we get SC Gold will this cover the live scores or is SC Gold just going to be the HS opionion of who's scoring big each round?

6. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Ultimately, (as I argued last year) it comes back to a simple choice.

Paying money to the Herald Sun/News Limited for their so-called knowledge (aka SC Gold and maybe other things) that really isn't that knowledgable.

Or

Paying money to this site here for proper knowledge, analysis, donor-only information, etc etc etc all in a communal collegiate and fun atmosphere.

The choice is clear. If you are willing to shell out money for supplemental SC help, then shell it out here.

(Not only that, but giving money to News Limited and Rupert Murdoch after all that his troupe of cowardly unethical scum have done in the past year or so (hello News of the World, Leveson Inquiry, Milly Dowler, etc) is, in my opinion a shit investment ... and I'm a journo).

7. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I didn't realise it was for live game access when I posted above.
    I would pay it, it's $3 a week, I wont miss it and will get a benefit.
    I currently spend a minimum 20 hours a week trawling SC and the season hasn't started, the hourly cost for me would be below a cent.
    I currently pay for online subscription gaming, this is only that but more real.

Totally circumstance based though and if it meant people with less funds were genuinely handicapped from where they are currently I would be against it.

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I think from what I see, during game (i.e. when we used to log in to the superfooty site and click on the score popup box) will be behind the wall, but the vs matches on the supercoach website should remain free.

Otherwise it will be pretty hard to differentiate userIDs depending on their user rights. If I were trying to implement that it would be a pain.

I do hate the Brownlow group think option, but do believe that we can tighten our own one here at TS down, probably not make it quite so public (unfortunately), and hence make some coin for our donuts.

In terms of Gold I don't think much will change. I'd think all the articles on Superfooty (or most) will require a paypass and that will probably not be covered by Gold unless the site decides something other than just charging like wounded bulls.

9. Rufus

Rufus New Member

*Sharpening pitch fork*

10. Hendy

Hendy Member

$2.95 a round isn't the major issue.

It's that the Hun will continue to milk Supercoach without giving anything back... why have they not increased the winnnings? Surely with Supercoach Gold and the Pay Wall they would be able to award something to second place.

11. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Or the best leagues

12. VanderHaar

VanderHaar New Member

disappointed with what ive read about the supercoach app , 3 bux , it still has ads and lots of login issues , have to keep typing in passwords.
    dt app is free
    i actually thought sc gold would cover live scores ? or are they milking every teet of the cow ?

13. port_leschenault

<blockquote>Quote from chris88 on March 7, 2012, 10:04
    Ultimately, (as I argued last year) it comes back to a simple choice.

Paying money to the Herald Sun/News Limited for their so-called knowledge (aka SC Gold and maybe other things) that really isn't that knowledgable.

Or

Paying money to this site here for proper knowledge, analysis, donor-only information, etc etc etc all in a communal collegiate and fun atmosphere.

The choice is clear. If you are willing to shell out money for supplemental SC help, then shell it out here.

(Not only that, but giving money to News Limited and Rupert Murdoch after all that his troupe of cowardly unethical scum have done in the past year or so (hello News of the World, Leveson Inquiry, Milly Dowler, etc) is, in my opinion a shit investment ... and I'm a journo).
    </blockquote>

O/T but yeah, I couldn't believe it when someone I know on another forum came out defending News Ltd after the Government inquiry. Needless to say they are a HS reader.

Anyway, I agree with what Chris said. Even if you look at that screenshot Lucas posted, half the features were implemented last year. "Chat" will be the same CoveritLive stuff (which I have a real aversion for - just my opinion). The Pla-by-Play stuff will be no different to what is on the AFL site. Even the peoples brownlow is just a stupid gimmick poll wrapped up, the people who will buy this and vote on that aren't going to be the smartest tools in the shed, you will be far better off doing the predictor here, with people who know their arse from the elbow and actually watch the games, not just whatever popular opinion is.

So really, all you're getting is live SC scores which wont be accurate, like the quarterly scores last year and the Coaches Stats. So one, actual new decent feature for &#36;3. Think I'll pass...

14. port_leschenault

Oh and don't get me started on why they may you pay for their SC app when the DT one is free...

15. BigFozza

BigFozza New Member

i won't pay &#36;3 a week out of principal. i would pay &#36;3 for the app but becasue of ads they can go finger themsleves.

16. VanderHaar

VanderHaar New Member

<blockquote>Quote from BigFozza on March 7, 2012, 14:30
    i won't pay &#36;3 a week out of principal. i would pay &#36;3 for the app but becasue of ads they can go finger themsleves. </blockquote>

i think they charge extra for the fingering

17. Hendy

Hendy Member

Another thing that is grinding my gears.. First prize is &#36;50k and highest round score is &#36;55k.

Rewarding the one off score over the hard earned entire year score... the Hun pay no respect to the people that play this game.

18. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Just to clarify some of how it all works, we've got 3 parties at play.

CD - who collect and sell their stats onto whoever wants to buy them. Priced on a scale based on end-o-game, end-o-quarter and live. As you'd expect, the more live it is, then more the price is (and it really gets up there for the full package!)

VS - Who create the fantasy platform, SC Gold and the SC App. They need to buy said stats of CD, but they also make the profits from SC Gold and the SC App.

HUN - Who pay VS for their plaform, and also pay CD for the stats that they display on the HUN's site. They make their profits through advertising and further paper sales.

This is why the paywall doesn't cover the App nor SC gold. (Why those two aren't packaged, I've no idea!)

I believe the AFL has thrown cash at VS to provide the DT app for free, but that's just an assumption (well, someone threw money at them!! :D)

19. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Apparently you get 4cents off your petrol with the new herald sun deal ahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    man who cares? If you like it, pay for it. if you dont, steal it.
    (TooSerious Corporation does not sanction any of the opinions herein discussed by its members)

20. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I stole Google once, but my conscience got the better of me and I gave it back.