Mid Price Options

Discussion in 'AFL' started by shickered, Mar 8, 2012.

1. shickered

shickered New Member

Okay, so I know this topic might go against the strategies of most supercoaches this year but are there any mid price options (I'm thinking $200-$450k) that anyone is considering?
    There are a few around that price that could be in for break out seasons and might provide handy scoring options from the start.

A few names I'm looking at this pre-season are:

Ben Jacobs
    Allen Christensen
    Phil Davis
    Patrick Dangerfield
    Cameron Guthrie (after the weekends effort)
    Courtenay Dempsey

I'm sure there's more out there and I know some of these names have come up in other posts but I am interested in other peoples opinions on some of these (and other) options.

Personally, apart from maybe Kane Lucas, I am mostly looking at these mid price options in the forward and back line as I am unsure of the reliability of some of the higher price players (excluding the likes of Goddard, Lids, Enright, Franklin etc).

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Porps, Bate, Gaff, Duffield, Hargrave and probably others to watch over remaining games, those 5 are ones ive got a close eye on atm.

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

will probably just pick 1 of them though - porps... but may be tempted into 1 more.

4. Dekka

Dekka Member

I think we will see a lot of rookies fall by the wayside in rounds 3 & 4 of the NAB cup, perhaps meaning less premiums and more mids?? I've been following Dempsey, Hawksley and everyone's favourites Porps, Hargreaves and Lakey. Good to see someone with high cred/ranking in Yamum also mention the mids strategy.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Porps and Hargrave for me. Don't want to risk on too many of these guys.

6. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Still not convinced about Porps, basically played onball for a half against a Brisbane u/18s team without half of Adelaide's proper midfield. Hargrave is the standout so far with Lake not far behind.

7. chewy

chewy New Member

i think last year we were spoilt for choice in regards to rookie priced players(mzungu,lower, stanley etc.)this year with the VEST being such an issue and the way footy is played nowadays it seems our choice is somewhat limited, therefore i am seriously considering some midpricers!how many of the draftees are physically ready to go ? thoughts or rebuttals are welcome!

8. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog New Member

The gurus on this site will know and rightfully point out the risks of mid pricers.

I have to agree in part that there are some rookie quality issues when compared to last year.

It seems to me that if a rookie gets games (more risky with possible lower JS than last year) and scores ok, he will increase more in value compared to mid pricers just based on the way player values increase. That is most likely why the experts say that mid pricers are risky picks.

Will the mid pricers improve enough to be breakout players might be the appeal of some of these players; maybe they will be the next Fyfe etc? If not, then there needs to be an upgrade path on a player who has not risen as much in value as a rookie that performed ok, while the mid pricer has to perform considerably better than they have in the past to give us a decent cash increase on them. Its seems bloody difficult to pick if we discount the obvious LTI/lower value players unless there has been a role change or more opportunity given etc which may be harder to pick than the fortunes of quality rookies.

Risky Business but who knows, this years winner may be writing all about their mid price strategy that took them to glory. One thing is for certain, doing what everyone else does is not going to win $50k.

9. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Very Confucious bigbrowndog hopper. As Billy Joel sang...you may be right, you may be wrong, but it might just be a lunatic ... that wins this year.

My mid pricer to break out is Kruezer.

10. bobob

bobob New Member

forget hargraves - i've been told he is not that keen to even play this year. not a rumour - from the horses mouth so to say. for me i'm liking masten and ebert. i have nooo problems putting in some mid priced players. seems to me, you'd be mad not to.

11. chewy

chewy New Member

thats right mate most of the guns will be going g,n,r i am just not that convinced at this stage that the rookies on show so far wont be getting the vest therefore affecting their $$$ increase . decisions!!!!

12. BlueBoysRule

BlueBoysRule New Member

@bobob Did you see him play last week he is a lock in my team.

13. hellsangel

hellsangel New Member

what is the benchmark for rookie/mid pricer improvement? 100k 200k 300++ this determines who you choose surely. if your picking a mid pricer as a F7 D7 then you looking for a keeper who you want to average 90+ but I think this year there are some interesting mids who could be 150k to 250k cows. I know rookies can reward more but you need to consider points averaged in rounds 1 to 6 where you can perhaps pick up a hundred or 2 points?
    any way
    J Mcarthy, N Brown (wait till he plays) Mellington, B Waters (did you see him play carlton in the semis??)

oh and K Cornes (just kidding)

14. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog New Member

@melbandy

The lunatic strategy could be the new black!

The more beers I have the better it looks.

15. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

I'm a fan of the midders this year.

Ballantyne, lake, prestia and sloane for me.

16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I only have one atm, HMac, but there are many many temptations.
    If the rookies stay as unimpressive as they have been to date a couple of the genuine bargain Mid Pricers will be in most teams I think.

17. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned Butcher as a forward mid-pricer to consider - strong contested mark, good tackler, can kick a bag of goals with a handfull of kicks!!!

Kreuzer is a no-brainer for a mid-pricer - alot of class & proven scorer.

McCarthy could be the one to pick up 85-90 points in the mids and net you a nice profit in the early part of the season.

Prestia has looked very solid when playing down back so far in the first 2 rounds of NAB matches.

18. Tango

Tango New Member

@Bearfly I think most people would be scared off from paying $284k (priced to average 63ppg) for a third year KPF with only 4 career games under his belt. He's a super talented player, but he's a risky proposition to expect to improve his average by 15-20 ppg or price by $150-200k, which is what you hope for when picking a mid-pricer. When you compare that to someone like the Porpoise, who's priced to average 43 this year, but has twice averaged 87 in the past, and is $55k cheaper, it's hard to justify going with Butcher. Porpoise is a big injury risk with his shoulders, but didn't Butcher spend a lot of time out with a back issue as well.

I'm with you on Kreuzer though. If the Blues finish Top 4, Kreuze could end up being in the Top 5 averaging rucks by the end of the year. Ratten just has to play him as No.1 ruck rather than a KPF.

19. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Kreuzer
    pts games
    2011 926 12
    2010 1066 13
    2009 1805 23
    2008 1200 20

YMMV....

20. weazel

weazel Member

the mid pricer strategy is flawed in many ways imo 1st you are banking on 1 to 5 players doing something they haven't done before ie avg over 100 (or have done in past seasons see no 2 ). 2 lti players returning trying to recapture previous form are a real chance of re injuring themselves or just not being the same . 3 if you spend more money on mid pricers means less guns which translates into more trades required for upgrade. 4 the differnce in points for a rook and a mid pricer to make money is a major gap ie if rook scores 40 they'll go up mid pricer scores 40 they will go down just my thoughts happy to debate away if needed