Ticker

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Dirty_Whorks, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Dirty_Whorks

Dirty_Whorks New Member

Does anyone know when the TS Ticker starts?

2. Dirty_Whorks

Dirty_Whorks New Member

bump. hint hint walesy.

3. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

soon! :D

A closer approximation would be: This week.

But I'll get a post up when it's running, pointing y'all into it's magnificent direction!!

4. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

How does the ticker work? If that is a stupid question I'm very very sorry.

5. Dirty_Whorks

Dirty_Whorks New Member

Gday Gonaddz - basically it is like a strength of schedule but has teams broken up by position (FWD/RUCK/MIDS/DEF) with a heat map/traffic light indicating by round by opponent how strong each of their positions are against that opponent. It's a great tool to use in conjunction with say the premium midfield performance charts by round. It's particularly a great tool to use when making trades later in the season.

When it's up it will make more sense to you - I'm sure my explanation has confused you even more...

6. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Good explanation Dirty_Whorks! The ticker can be invalueable during the season and can take your team from good to great! in 2010 I didn't use it all and finished around the 3000 mark, last year I used it regularly and finished around 700th

7. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Dirty_Whorks thank you! You have shined some light. Im already loving this forum because the people are so helpful and I look forward to using the ticker.

8. Dirty_Whorks

Dirty_Whorks New Member

bump. Gonaddz. Ticker is up and running.

9. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

You serious?? Hells yeah I'm gonna check me some ticker ACTION!1

Edit: I guess its up but not running until the season starts.....

10. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

@Gonaddz
    The ticker looks fine to me, I just don't think you can enter your team yet (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Jump on the ticker page, and read through the instructions. Just below them you'll find the colour coded legend - basically red means lots of points are expected for players in these positions, blue means not many points are expected. Its based on how many points (above or below the league average) a team gives away in each of the four positions.

Thus, if you scroll down until you see the crows on the left, and then across to round one you'll see they play the suns. The defence, mids, and forwards are pink, meaning that slightly more than average points would be expected from crows players in these positions. The rucks is red, thus you'd expect lots more points scored by crows rucks in R1 (many people use this as a guide to selecting a captain each week - look for players in the red category!)

...to be continued

11. JPK

...continued

Following the crows to R2, against the doggies. Rucks are still red, so you'd expect more above average points for the crows rucks. The defence is pink, so as with r1 you'd expect slightly better than average scores from crows defenders. The mids are yellow, which means you'd only expect crows mids to score their average in R2. Finally the forwards are grey-blue, meaning that the doggies defence is rather stingy, and the crows forwards would be expected to score less than their averages in R2. Its the shades of blue that you want to avoid as much as possible, and the shades of red you want to see as much as possible when selecting players!

If you scroll down to the St Kilda and Sydney tickers you'll see a lot of red and pink over the first 4 rounds. This indicates a good start to the year for both teams, with their players expected to score at or above their averages, across the ground. When you're looking to trade in a player who looks to be hot right now, take a look at the ticker, because it could mean he's just player the easiest games of his season (reds galore), and then the next three weeks could be a dreaded dark blue with below average scores. It'll make your hot pick look like a tank, and cost you points and dollars!!!

Hope that helps! Good Luck :)

12. JPK

Sorry for the multiple posts in a row... Don't know why, but it wouldn't let me post the whole lot in one go. (is there a post size limit Walesy?)

13. Dirty_Whorks

Dirty_Whorks New Member

Didn't some guy make an excel with +1,0-1 and cumulative points leaked/gain by round last year?

14. grav

grav Guest

Thanks for the detail JPK. Didn't quite get my head round the ticker last year, so this helps heaps. Is it just me or is the temperature legend missing some colour at the extremes? ie. Boiling and Frozen!

15. walesy

Great explaination JPK! Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Yeah, Boiling and Frozen- when I first made the ticker, those extremes didn't exist- however, when the GC first jumped onto the scene, I needed a way to differenciate just how many points they were leaking! Thus Boiling was invented. Of course, to keep it symmetrical, frozen popped up, those I never expected any teams to actually hit it. Who'da those the Hawkers would punish defenders just that much! (and Cox/Nitnat of course.)

16. Golingo

Golingo New Member

I do believe those were last years instructions, and the Supercoach website has changed a bit since. I'm just having a look myself to see if there is still a way we can find the team id.

edit: here is a link with the instructions:
    http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?s=f3501d78d12c2ec694102cc228700656&p=23410870&postcount=2

Or in short form:
    1. Go to your Leagues Page on the SC website.
    2. Right Click on the page and select 'View Page Source' (or similar)
    3. Find the entry 'user_id'.
    4. The number after the phrase 'value' is your ID.

17. JPK

The alternate is to simply insert your SC username (email) and SC password into the "my team" part of your profile page here on TS, then upload. This has worked for me, my team is now in the ticker, and I can see how my players should go.

18. walesy

Sorry mate, I should probably qualify that one.

Using the tid only works *after* round 1 lockout. Before then, if you were to visit your page using the tid, it would be a blank page (preventing everyone else from seeing your team). And since the world can't see it, neither can the site.

19. Aznich

Aznich New Member

No probs, many thanks for the responses guys. Have been a long time viewer, but this has forced me to sign up, so some good has come of it!

20. Neary86

Neary86 New Member

Walesy,

how do I upload my new side onto the ticker to evaluate my team like last season? apologies if I'm missing something, but i can seem to delete my old team and upload my new one!