2012 Supercoach Forwards

Discussion in 'AFL' started by walesy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I am having trouble separating Gray, Dangerfield and Sidebottom.

All three are lower-end priced, strong preseasons, run the midfield.

Danger and Sidebottom have more competition for points in the midfield.

Gray will lose more games than the other two and hence may score less.

Dangerfield is significantly cheaper but could be a risk running him alongside Porps (as mentioned above).

I want to pick two to join Buddy, Fyfe and Martin.

Any ideas?

2. Tango

Tango New Member

Dangermouse and Sidebottom may have more competition for points, but they'll also have a bigger pie than Gray most weeks, Nick. Adelaide has a very easy fixture this season, so you would think they would improve on 2011.

You could also argue that Gray averaged 90 across 22 games playing for a team that only won 3 or 4 games last year and was 17th for total Supercoach points scored. Surely the Power will show improvement this season, just because you couldn't see them getting any worse.

For mine, Gray just in front of Sidebottom, with Danger a clear third, but wait and see how he performs in the NAB Cup GF before you make the decision. I just have my doubts about Danger's ability to play full games of footy. Always seems more like a burst player. Gray scored 116DT and Sidebottom 96DT tonight in their games.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Nick, I also rate Gray > Sidebottom and Dangerfield. Sidebottom might play more midfield while Pies have a couple out (Wellingham and Johnson for instance) in early round, but expect him to vacate midfield soon enough. Dangerfield is hot/cold too much and I don't think you'll enjoy his inconsistency during 2012.

4. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Assuming you have buddy, taking gray means you can't pick Martin without having r13bye issues, I would rather Martin over gray

5. bigshow

bigshow Member

We all seem to fall into Dangerfield this time of year and regret it a few weeks in, im willing to let him go and if he does go bang and lifts his ppg to the level of a premium then ill put my hand in the air and congratulate the guy. Moving on to Cloke, i had the guy from round 13 last year and he didnt let me down. He pushes up the ground, uses the ball well and then gets back, taking contested marks and kicking plenty of goals. If he kicks straight, he is more than capable of slotting 70 or 80 goals.

What are peoples thoughts on Steve Johnson? I havnt seen much love for him. For a guy who averaged 105 plus last year, kicked 50 goals and runs through the midfield, he has to be considered. I realise he is prone to a few brain fades and can produce the odd clanger, but he is getting to that age where most good footballers have there best years in terms of consistency.

6. b_frazer5

b_frazer5 New Member

the forward lines frustrating me, Iv locked buddy fyfe n martin but im deciding between cloke, cyril & Pav as my other premium

7. Jason

Bye issues are the least of my concerns at this stage.
    Some chance a long-term injury will throw into chaos even the best-laid bye preparation plans.
    I will not exclude selecting a player in my initial team on the basis of bye issues. I want the best value prospects in my initial team, regardless of when they have a bye.

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Thanks for your analysis Jason, Tango, Lenh, Bigshow.

It is a tough call but that has gone some way is helping me make my decision. I think it is a fair about Sidebottom regarding missing some Pies midfielders. Also with the injuries of Krak and McCaff, perhaps Sidebottom will fill that role and spend more time drifting forward.

Totally agreed on your bye stance Jason - its something I voiced in the comments section when discussing picking premium midfielders and the fact that I'm not writing off Selwood just because he shares a bye with another elite mid(s).

9. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

Thoughts on N Riewoldt?

It's been difficult to gauge the Saints this year thanks to Essendon. He scored 83 DT last night vs the Pies which included 10 marks and 0 goals. Going from the stats only, he seemed to be competing well considering the wet weather and his team getting flogged. If only he could add some goals to that score...

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Roo is definitely an interesting one. The no goals isn't bothering - I think he does his best work up the ground anyway and should play out his career on a wing a la Richo. He is underpriced and we all know how much of a fantasy champ he can be.

But how is St Kilda's gameplan under the new coach affect his scoring? I haven't seen a second of st kilda - can SKT or anyone give us their opinion on Roo? Worth it for the price or better options around due to the bevy of MID/FWDs running around in 2012.

11. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Jason on March 17, 2012, 11:27
    Bye issues are the least of my concerns at this stage.
    Some chance a long-term injury will throw into chaos even the best-laid bye preparation plans.
    I will not exclude selecting a player in my initial team on the basis of bye issues. I want the best value prospects in my initial team, regardless of when they have a bye.</blockquote>
    I agree up to a point, I would prefer to start the season not planning a sideways trade on a starting premium..
    If I can get the same points without that complication it's preferable, and is a potential edge of some sort over someone who has to.

12. pollypies

pollypies Member

I was at the Pies v Saints game and it is hard to go past Cloke. He just keeps taking contested grabs and was BOG by a mile. Even in a big loss to Adelaide the week before I'm sure I read somewhere he took 6 contested marks.

Roo definitely seemed to be playing much higher up the ground, with Stanley used in the goal square. This seems to back up an interview with Roo where I heard him say he hoped to kick 30 goals, with two or three others around the same mark, rather than him kicking 80 and being the sole target up forward. I'm not sure they have many other options though.

Sidebottom played most of the game in the mid, occasionally going forward. He also started in the centre square a bit, which means more clearances and contest possessions.

13. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

I'm feeling spoilt for choice in the FWD line this year. The fact that Goodes hasn't found a spot in my line up is a crime against humanity.. Lifes good.

As a die hard Blues fan living in Brisbane, Jonathon Brown is just about my favourite player. That said; I'm kinda glad he's out til round 3 coz it solved my only dilemma: Whether I could go into Round one with the risk of both JB and Porps in my team.

T

Sure to change many times before round 1; but here's my current cut.

Buddy, Stevie J, D Martin, Zaharakis
    Porplyziaa
    4 rookies (today: D Smith, A Hall, A Saad, Y Walsh)

hinking of sneaking Goodesy into the mid as a DPP?

Thoughts?

Brad

14. 11kgm

11kgm New Member

What does everyone think of Hale as an option up forward been smashing in the pre season and also with no Bailey they need a ruckman

15. weazel

weazel Member

@11kgm i'd give hale a miss notoriously inconsistent

16. Wrighty

Wrighty New Member

Tippett was good in the nab cup final willing to risk at the price also Hill for eagles looks to have a mortgage on Lecras spot a bit pricey but will get game time.

17. Jason

The trouble with Josh Hill is that he has talent but continues to fail to deliver. NAB GF sadly continued this tradition.

18. manderson0615

manderson0615 New Member

Any thoughts on Ballantyne? My thinking not bad mid priced option, and may get chances of time thru the Freo midfield.

19. Philbya01

Philbya01 New Member

I have 500k to spend on a forward Zaha, N Roo, Hurley, Steele SB, Gray or Ballantyne?

20. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

IMO Steele > Gray > N Roo > Zaha > Balla > Hurley