David Hale, A massive POD?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by nolanb13, Mar 23, 2012.

1. nolanb13

nolanb13 New Member

Not sure if you fellas noticed... but Hale scored extremely well in the NAB cup. An average of 121 SC points which makes him a very exciting ruck POD.
    Based on Hawthorns current structure, I think Hale could be set up to perform very well in the Fantasy World, as Frankin will be playing in the midfield more often, opening up the fowardline for him. Also Max Bailey has been setback with injury giving him a chance to share the ruck with Roughead.
    So what is you opinion on picking up this ageing Hawk? At the very least he will explode out of the gates, giving a nice upgrade option later in the year as Cox's price inevitably drops.
    Thoughts???

2. Turbs

Turbs New Member

Roughie wont be seeing much ruck time due to coming back from injury im guessing so makes for even more reason to think about Hale

3. whips

whips New Member

Don't do it!

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Select Hale on more than just his NAB form if you will. Don't just base your decision on NAB cup scores though, the competition in those games was a long way below the level in the real stuff.

5. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Remember that Hale kicked 12 goals over his three games. For the entire season 2011, he kicked 19 goals in 20 games, so averaging 4 goals per game is more than four times what he averaged last year. Can't see him coming close to that scoring.

6. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from Jason on March 23, 2012, 06:57
    Select Hale on more than just his NAB form if you will. Don't just base your decision on NAB cup scores though, the competition in those games was a long way below the level in the real stuff.</blockquote>

Tell that to all the people jumping on Dangerfield.

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

He's an interesting player

Averaged 87 from half way through last year when he had the 2nd ruck role roaming forward.
    Averaged 52 early in the year from a limited amount of games when I'm not sure what his role was. Backup to Renouf I think, struggling to work out what his role was in a side that was struggling to find its groove.

I think personally he will probably average equal to or in excess of the 87s he scored last year because he would have more time on the ground as the main ruckman.

However, the moment Bailey returns, it will be interesting to see how he goes. You could see him return to the roaming player and keep averaging in the 80s, or you could see with Roughead back the whole structure of the Hawks sees him out of the side.

Personally I think he's only a realistic option up forward.

8. Lucas

Danger - averaged 95 in wins, 73 in losses.
    One might be so unkind as to say "front runner" but it is typical for forwards to struggle to score in defeats, and that's across the board.

Most forwards are 19&#37; worse in a loss, and he's 25&#37;

Franklin is 33&#37; from last year. For what it's worth.

9. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Is Dangerfield considered a forward this year? Been spending the majority of games in the midfield.

10. Lucas

From SC perspective Danger is FM

11. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Yeh obviously from a SC perspective he's a forward, but from an actual perspective he's been playing predominantly through the midfield which he has not been in the past, hence I'm not certain that you can put him under the same umbrella as players like Franklin or Hale.

12. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

I have swapped Rioli out and Hale in and I just know I'm going to regret it but it allowed the cash to buy up Pendlebury.

13. Lucas

AA maybe some of him playing forward last year was due to personnel, but some might have been his match conditioning.

14. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Seems to have worked on his tank though and looks pretty fit. I'm not convinced yet but I don't think he has done much wrong this preseason and it is quite understandable if people take a punt on him. His contested possession rate is pretty high which is an important SC category, if he can find the pill ~25 times a game he could up his average to proper premium territory, big if though. A much safer pick than Hale imo as well.

15. kitkat

kitkat New Member

I'm just curious as to how much dangerfield can actually improve? Looking at the crows midfield, NVB improved his average by 20 points over the second half of the season when the coach played him exclusively in the middle, Sloane is improving at a fast rate and will probably increase his rotations through the middle as he has a much larger tank than Danger, Vince seems to want to prove himself after being caught with his pants down (and has shown he can average 100 in the past), and Thompson is just a ball magnet. Personally I can see Danger only improving his av to 85-90 at most this season.

16. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Sanderson's gameplan seems to deviate from Craig's in that he seemingly wants to implement a Geelong style game of corridor football relying on more midfield muscle than past Adelaide sides, in that light I can see Dangerfield's midfield rotations increasing markedly.

17. nolanb13

nolanb13 New Member

Im tossing up between kreuzer and hale for R2. Gives a nice option to upgrade later on in the season to Cox.
    So. Hale, or Kreuzer?

18. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

I've got Kreuzer as R2 with Cox as R1.

I'm hoping they'll both perform at premium levels.

19. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

I've got Hale in R1, and I expect to make money off him until Bailey returns. Then its upgrade time.

20. weazel

weazel Member

hale is very hit and miss i remember him kicking 5 or 6 against the dons one day got about 5 touches the week after