Round 1 Rookie Chances

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Moneyball, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Moneyball

Moneyball New Member

Do we have some knowledge on whether the following rookies will play round 1 (Yes | No | Maybe):

Smedts
    Docherty
    Brown (ADE)
    Horsley
    Treloar
    Tomlinson

2. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

I'd say Smedts is a real chance to start. Disposal has been pretty ordinary at times but the fellas down at the Cattery are very keen on this kid.

Docherty, Brown, Horsley and Treloar have all been unsighted in NAB correct? Very worrying

Haven't seen/heard much on Tomlinson other than he might be in the Hurley mould. Not exactly sure on how much game time he has been given to date

3. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

From what I have heard, Smedts will definitely play Round 1. Most of the others won't play but not 100% sure on Horsely or Tomlinson. Also, does anyone know if Sam Darley will b given a go?

4. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

I'd say Darley will be given a go, could be wrong however!

5. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

With the exception of games played on the final Sunday of R1, whether these rookies will play or not will be known when teams are announced. Anything else is just speculation at this time.

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

My feeling is that Guthrie will get a spot before Smedts.

With the partial lock out its worth having some tightened short lists and possible shuffling scenarios if needed, that can't include GWS (or Sydney) rookies.

For example if Morris and Ellis are both not named what will the shuffle be...

7. 82asch

82asch New Member

To add to this discussion what are peoples thoughts on these guys playing in Rd. 1:

Spurr, Kerridge, Hall, Dickson, C.Smith, Ledger, Cripps, Pfeiffer, Wingard, Couch.

8. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Agree with Nick - get your GWS and (if needed) Sydney selections right for tomorrow, then build up the rest of your rookies or rookie pricers based on having some flexibility to shuffle players in and out depending on next week's selections.

Might be a good idea to have not only a short list for possible rookies, but also a short list of players in other positions (for example, D4/5, M4, R1, F4/5) that you are willing to shuffle and swap to allow you to pick up a slightly more expensive rookie, or to upgrade a rookie to midpricer (for example, a Marty Clarke to a Brian Lake) or mid-pricer/sub premium to a premium.

Nominate a couple of players in each spot at a slightly different price range and then work these options through as the rookies in the other 8 games are announced.

Flexibility is the key. I've ensured I've gotten the GWS rookies I want in my squad, and the other rookies are educated guesses right now, guesses that will be set in stone or discarded late next week.

9. apolis

apolis New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Nick on March 20, 2012, 21:52
    My feeling is that Guthrie will get a spot before Smedts.
    </blockquote>

Yeah I agree, but there's a few spots to fill. Ling, Josh Hunt, Wocjinski, Varcoe.

So I would think 4 of Guthrie, Taylor Hunt, Motlop, Smedts and Byrnes will be in. Hopefully not Byrnes!

Enright is also struggling with achilles soreness and Christensen hasn't played much in the pre-season so there's definitely room for some kids.

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Spurr must be elevated - but I hear Johnson/McPharlin may be injured which bodes well? I want him in my team.

Kerridge may be prime vest candiate. Has class but will he find the pill?
    Hall looked good at times but questions around the ball being in the GC fwd line enough.
    Dickson is mature aged and looks a goer. If named lock him in.
    C Smith I like a lot but I've heard other things from Dog's supporters.
    Don't like much about Cripps, nor Pfeiffer.
    Wingard too pricey + shaky.
    Couch wadsn't elevated so, no.

11. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Would people take Hall or Kerridge over Jeremy Cameron? Keeping in mind job security, total points come end of season etc?
    Is there anyone else that i could possible take in this price bracket?

12. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I'm possibly in the minority, but I rate Kerridge over Cameron over Hall.

13. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Kerridge is no good if he's not in Adelaide's best 22 which by the looks of it, he is not.

14. Daz

Daz New Member

Random flier of a question here - are there any D/M rookies worth looking at? haven't been able to suss one out yet...

15. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@daz - not yet although if he gets fit and comes into the Bris team Docherty might be a popular donwgrade target through the year!