Starting rookies for your side

Discussion in 'AFL' started by NumberWonGuns, Mar 25, 2012.

1. grav

grav Guest

Anyone heard how far away Zorko is?
    Presume he's not promoted anyway.

2. Rooster

Rooster New Member

I don't believe zorko is a rookie anyway.

3. 82asch

82asch New Member

Have seen Boumann pop up in a few teams lately. What are peoples thoughts on Boumann V S.Shaw at D9 also interested in Kerridge V Couch at F9 now that Couch is off the rookie list. JS is the concern for all these guys IMO.

4. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Boumann has much higher scoring potential than Shaw and with Rutten set to make a return I'm not even sure he'll be in Adelaide's side this weekend. Boumann could be a placeholder for Gilham although the Hawks have always seemed to lack enough talls in the backline so he could play beyond Gilham's return, Hawks supporters probably have more of an idea.

I tentatively have Couch as F9, I doubt they would have promoted him and not have him in the 22, the potential for the green/red vest is pretty high though, my worst fear is a Magner/Couch substitution.

5. 82asch

82asch New Member

Thank Angry, makes sense to me. I think if Boumann is named he is a better starter than Shaw.

Agree about Couch too, wouldn't have been promoted if he wasn't gonna play. Magner/Couch sub is a real possibility though with Magner's finger, along with possibility of Ledger and Smith being subbed plus the fact I have Shiel maybe I should rename my team something along the lines of 'Vested Interest'.

6. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

AA, don't wish that upon us all (been strongly considering the same possibility)!!!

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

"Vested Interest", lol!

I'm actually hoping that Magner doesn't play this week, I have McDonald's 100 as an emergency score and with Magner's sub potential it's a real possibilty he'll only get a Shiel like score this weekend. I also can't see him being a sub once he has fully recovered from his finger injury.

I'm not sure if you watched any Hawks preseason games but I was really impressed with how Boumann went about it, to be fair he played GWS but he looked good not only as a defensive backman (looks like a good spoiler, I think he led the VFL or came close to leading the VFL in that stat last year) but also racked up enough of the ball and rebound 50s to potentially be a 70+ ppg player. JS as always is the problem, I'm tossing up between him and paying an extra $60k for Marty Clarke who I don't think will average more than 70 himself but has the better job security.

8. 82asch

82asch New Member

As a pies supporter am not sold on Clarke to be honest - he will be a handy player this year for sure, but for SC I think I'll save the 60K and go with Boumann.

9. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

I really need a hawks supporter to come in and assure me of Boumann's JS. He has flown under my radar and I only have Clarke in my team for JS, I would get rid of him if an even slightly similar alternative came about for a cheaper price.

10. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

I dont know about Boumann interested cause I have him at D9 and his NAB form looked good, I reckon Shaw is good for at least 2-3 weeks, after that its going to be dependant on Ruttens recovery from his foot injury which flared up again just the other day by all reports.

I guess Shaw has 2-3 games to show the coaches he belongs and if he does his JS improves.

As far as SC goes I am going to give him a guernsey i reckon.

11. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Boumann has not even come onto my radar... I cannot see his JS being very reliable. Marty Clarke should go well after his year of Gaelic...

12. Christos

Christos New Member

Gilham is playing as we speak for Box Hill. He may need a couple of weeks though as hes been out for the best part of a year. Gilham and Stratton will be ahead of Boumann with Gibson playing the third tall. Boumann's selection is likely to be determined by the opposition's tall forward depth. If they have 3 he is likely to come in or 2 with a ruck who can play forward. All in all quite a bit of risk with Boumann.
    As a Hawks fan I would like to see him get games as we key defensive back, Gilham's return notwithstanding is the team's biggest weakness (along with 1st ruck depth).

13. mjcdons

mjcdons New Member

I've played:

Ellis, Paine (Bugg, Baumann)

Coniglio, Magner (Sheil, Ledger)

D.Smith, Dickson (Kennedy, Cameron)

Final rookie changes to consider:

Ledger v Clay Smith

Dickson v Schmedts (to open up the def/fw DPP)

Thoughts?

14. canada_blues

canada_blues New Member

I'd think you should hang on to Ledger but Clay Smith is a bit tempting. As for forward, I'm having a similar decision - leaning towards both of them at the moment though. I've got my non-premiums as:

Ellis, Bugg, Smedts (Darley, Morris)

Coniglio, Magner (Shiel, Ledger)

Giles (Redden, Stephenson)

Porps, Cripps, D. Smith (A. Kennedy, Dickson)

Pretty much set at the moment but still tossing up between: Paine, Smedts, or Boumann in the backs. Also trying to choose between Dickson and A. Hall in the forwards (could be Paine or Smedts due to DPP).

I'm leaning towards Smedts because I think he'll play more but that's more of a gut feel - I'd like to go Boumann because I think he'll score better when he plays (that Hawks 22 is hard to crack and stay on). Up forward, Dickson has pretty big wraps and he should get a few games (more if he can prove himself).

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

So who was unfortunate enough to play both Ellis and Morris in their starting 22s?

16. Quantum

Quantum New Member

I'll throw my hand up AA, I played them both. Have Clarke on the bench, wishing I went him over Morris but oh well.

17. The_General

The_General Member

Here is a question for the masses:

Current lining up with a midfield rookie selection of Magner, Ledger, C. Smith (Emg: Shiel and Kerridge).

Fwd rookies are D. Smith (Emg: Kennedy and Dickson)

The question I have is, should I swap say Fyfe with Kerridge, put Fyfe on the ground in place of ...? Then keep Kerridge as a non-playing fwd and take Kenndey's score. Then next week swap Kennedy and Fyfe back over and hope that Kerridge gets named.

Alternatively, I have to replace Kerridge this week with either another midfield rookie (but who?) or swap him with Fyfe, bring in say Weedon (if named) and swap Fyfe back next week.

Suggestions?

18. grav

grav Guest

Thoughts on who has best JS at F9.

Hall, Paine or Weedon?

(does Pendles' selection on Paine carry some weight)

Already have D Smith, Cripps and Dickson.

19. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Hall probably because he plays for the worst team. But that doesn't mean he will score well. He could be another Charlie Dixon from 2011.

20. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Hall & Paine are named on the field, so chose from them depending on the balance of your squad