Broughton

Discussion in 'AFL' started by petefisker, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Nick on March 26, 2012, 09:37
    The only thing stopping Broughton becoming a high-end premium backman who runs the middle was Harvey (through tactics or injuries) playing him in defensive shut down roles. As soon as he was released through the midfield in those half a dozen rounds or so last year, his ppg sky rocketed.

We are all taking an educated guess that Lyon will play to Broughton's strengths and run him through the midfield (albeit a tagging role), especially while Mundy and Co. are injured. </blockquote>

This

2. Moblets

Moblets New Member

Just wait and see - way too early to panic. There were a lot of other premium defenders who scored poo as well - namely Shaw and Scotland. Atleast see how he goes against Sydney before doing anything.

3. whips

whips New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Moblets on March 31, 2012, 23:49
    Just wait and see - way too early to panic. </blockquote>
    Agree. Yes, I have Broughton.

4. DC

DC Member

Broughton loves playing Sydney and at the SCG... watch him score 130+ to make our decision harder... lol

5. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Broughton only averages 87 against the Cats, so not sure what people were expecting! He averages 136, 114, 86, 93, 122, 113, 121, 98, 104, 92 against opponents running into his bye.

6. DC

DC Member

Where was he mainly played last night? was at the bombers game and didnt catch any of the other....

7. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Happy I got Birchall over him :D

8. crew

crew New Member

To be fair Broughton, Enright, Shaw, Dudledio, Scotland all spuded it up. When you line them up against my two rookies Bugg & Mohr at 88 & 86 there's not 1 imo that can hold their head too high !!.

9. bfish

bfish New Member

Not quite sure about all the negativity over Shaw. He still managed 91 even though he didn't play all that well apart from his first quarter.

10. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from bfish on April 1, 2012, 11:35
    Not quite sure about all the negativity over Shaw. He still managed 91 even though he didn't play all that well apart from his first quarter.</blockquote>

If my premiums dont go 100+ then I'm not happy full stop.

11. bfish

bfish New Member

Fair enough Crew. I'm just hoping both of them play better next week!

12. crew

crew New Member

<blockquote>Quote from bfish on April 1, 2012, 13:06
    Fair enough Crew. I'm just hoping both of them play better next week!</blockquote>

Yup couldn't agree more. 91's a good score going INTO the last 1/4 lol

13. Dun1

Dun1 Member

Broughton's last half a dozen games last year were woeful too. Not sure why I went back to the well but I'm already regretting it. He just doesn't get near the thing anymore. One more chance, otherwise GAWN.

14. Lancepm

Lancepm New Member

Yeah I have Broughton, despite not really wanting him, but when I went to think about a last minute change, his pre-season scores seduced me into thinking he was worth it.

You don't eject premium price players lightly though so I'm stuck with him for now, at least so many of the others I also didn't really want haven't made me pay...

15. TooManyRabbits

TooManyRabbits New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I know it's early to burn a trade but I'm seriously thinking about dumping him now and picking up Birchall. Others I've considered as well are Yarran, Suckling, Heppell or Hanley.

Broughton had some huge games last year but once Mundy & Barlow are back I expect his numbers to drop quite a bit. Also in the 2011 regular season...

Broughton - 8 games scored at least 100. 5 games scored between 80-99. 5 games scored between 60-79 and 3 games scored under 60

Birchall - 7 games scored at least 100. 9 games scored between 80-99. 4 games scored between 60-79 and 1 game scored under 60

Birchall seems like the more consistant option, while Broughton may have some big games it's highly unlikely I would ever give him the captaincy so it wouldn't matter as much to me as consistency

16. bolts

bolts New Member

will he remain the shut down man for the rest of the season? if so he gotta go!

17. Philzsay

Philzsay New Member

I realised he would get some good and bad scores throughout the year. It just annoyning he started with a dud score.

But will be sticking thick with him. I figure there is simply going to be a lot of defenders this year that will deliver some stinkers, so just have to roll with it.

18. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

FWIW I thought Birchall was stiffed about 30 points on Friday night.

19. DC

DC Member

Obviouslly will give Broughton another week as he loves to turn it on against the Swans... Lake is more of a worry for mine

20. jb

jb New Member

Was at the game (what a cracker!)and Creepy just wasnt doing the job on Stevie J so Rossco swapped him for Broughts.
    Not sure if you would call it a master stroke but Stevie J had zero impact on the game.
    FWIW prior to being being moved to tagger Broughts chalked up 35sc in the first qtr.
    Also thought Pav was a bit ripped off kicking the two late winning goals as ended with a sub 100.
    Barlows 72sc in a qtr and a bit is an ominous sign. Pretty sure Mundy didnt play in the WAFL either so maybe a while off yet.
    Bartels 120sc & highest score is a bit rich running at 48&#37; eff as was Duckwoods 58&#37; for 116.
    Then again BOG Fyfe's 50&#37; eff for his 109 could be questioned too..