What exactly determins a players price?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by kasperado, Apr 5, 2012.

1. kasperado

kasperado New Member

Hi guys,

My first year to SC, have a quick question regarding price rises/falls. The SC website says a "rolling average" is used to determine the price of a player. But does anyone know how many week average? And if any other factors come into play?

E.G. A rook starts at $100,000 and averages 90 for 5 weeks, will their price be the same as a prem who started at $500,000 and also averaged 90 for 5 weeks?

I think this would be helpful to know so as to know when to sell rook cash cows. Many are saying hold them until the mid-season buys... is this because that is when their price will top-out? Or simply to use the in the buy week trades...?

Cheers for the tip.
    Kasperado

2. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

After they play 3 games their price will change. Their rolling average goes off their last three games. The players new price will be something like 0.75*(old price)+0.25*(magic number*3 round average). The magic number is 5421 but might drop to around 5100 after round 3.

3. and can anyone explain the difference in the stats between movement over 3 rounds and movement over 3 weeks? I have searched the forums and can't find an answer
    cheers
    Pete

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Kasper, take a look at the stats page, in particular click on a particular player, plug in expected scores over a certain period of matches and look at the salary expected calculator. You'll find it's a brilliant piece of work!

5. Lucas

Pete - 3 rounds might be because of the bye impact. Otherwise you'd have to give me an example of what you're asking.

6. Alex

Alex New Member

Hey guys, for the life of me I can't work out how to punch in what I think a player will score round by round to see his projected value. Could somebody please explain?

7. @Lucas If you look at say, Jed Adcock, his 3 round movement in the stats, his 'Movement(3 rounds)(3)' is $13516 but his 'Movement(3 Rounds)' is $110,687. I don't understand the difference between the two different sets of movement stats.
    cheers
    Pete

8. @Alex in stats click on the players name to bring up their profile, and then click on the salary prediction tab

9. Alex

Alex New Member

@BB thanks, but I enter scores and no price movement happens.....

10. Enter at least 3 weeks estimates and tab across to the fourth and wait a minute for it to load up, it should work

11. Alex

Alex New Member

I enter 3 or more weeks scores estimates in salary predictor, but the salary doesn't move.

12. Not sure then sorry mate, works fine for me

13. kasperado

kasperado New Member

@Lucas: The salary expected calculator is awesome! That's all I need, thanks.

14. Lucas

@Peter...
    The 3 rounds (3) is how much movement would occur in the 3rd week.
    Very handy if you see the majority of positive movement is in the next two, so then you can plan to dump them before their $ value declines.
    Or more pertinently you can see - if the player performs at their average - how long the losses would be sustained by a premium on their value before they start to rise from their low value.

15. @Lucas - thanks mate

16. @Lucas - sorry mate I must be missing soemthing. I can see that 3 Rounds(3) and 3 rounds are both a total of the previous 3 columns but one version of Adcock's movement has him going up only $13516 over three rounds ($0, $18,168 and -$4652)and the other has him going up $110,867 (0, $63,161 and $47,706). There must be some different metholodgy in the way each set is calculated and which is the true figure - ie will he go up a little or will he go up a lot?

17. Alex

Alex New Member

@Lucas. I'm dying to use the salary predictor/calculator!!
    I must be doing something wrong as it's not working for me.

1. I click on the calc next to say Ablett.
    2. Then enter random scores in the scores boxes - up to 23 rounds.
    3. I look across in the salry field - but nothing has changed.

Hate to be a pain as it seems it works easily for everybody else but could you walk me through it?

Cheers

18. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Hey Alex, I'll see if I can help, using Ablett as an example.
    Go to the Stats page and bring up your team and then click on Ablett.
    That will bring up his profile. Click on Salary Predictor.
    Now below the Salary Graph you will see the calculator.
    You will notice Abletts score of 139 is in every round and his round 1 price is 689,000.
    As an exercise go to Round 3 score and type in 100. wait a few seconds and you should see his round 3 price drop from 689000 to 671686.
    And then if you continue on for every round after that, and wait for a short time, his price should change to reflect the scores you're entering, as well as the graph at the top of the page should change too.
    Hope that helps.

19. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Also, if you randomly enter say the full 23 scores at the same time, you need to wait for some time for the calculator to go through 23 rounds to update each rounds score, (as the principle is somewhat like Compound Interest).I'd suggest you go make a coffee and by the time you've done that it should be just about done.

20. Lucas

@PeterPhillips
    For whatever reason, one is using a 3 game average of 98.
    If he averages 98, he will basically flat line
    If he averages 140 he will go up by 100k.

Not sure if everything will look better once 3 games have been played. I think it probably will.