Only halfway through Syd vs. Freo and Broughton has done it again

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TigersTooTough, Apr 8, 2012.

1. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

I know that the match has only lasted a half (or even less as I write) however looking at Supercoach points, Greg Broughton has only 20 points. I don't reckon a massive second half can let my confidence in him rise meaning that I will probably looking at shipping him out. My question is who for? Adcock had a big first week but spudded up when they got smashed by Carlton...Yarran isn't consistent and Rob Murphy may be past it. Why do you go think?

2. TigersTooTough

Sorry 29 points at halftime

3. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

was tagging, improved to finish on 74 after he was given a late run in the midfield.

4. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Birchall is about 7k more. May screw ur balance in Rd 13 tho (as it will with me).
    NFINFINFINFIFINFI wat to do

5. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

45 point second half enough to save him from the chop from thousands of teams?

6. Runci

Runci Moderator

Not for me AA. Two games two tagging roles, he's gone for next week. I'll downgrade him and upgrade to a sure fire premium elswhere.

7. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Really dont know who to replace him with tho, all the possibles have a rd 13 bye. Think ill keep him

8. spud

spud New Member

Heppell might be an option - could use the cash also.

Will see how Lake performs first as to who is more dire.

9. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

round 13's a long way off, I wouldnt be concerned with being too strict on bye balance just yet,
    I've chosen to ignore the balance for now & as the cows come in, will work towards balance with upgrades along the way.

10. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Problem is that outside of Goddard and Deledio which everyone already has, none of the premium backs so far have done anything. The best option it seems for those wanting rid of Broughton is to go down to a Dempsey or a Malceski.

11. Moblets

Moblets New Member

Broughton for Dempsey is tempting me, or maybe Malceski. Thoughts?

12. whips

whips New Member

My thoughts? I'm keeping Broughton cos he averaged 95 over the last 3 years.
    Lake has gone from 30 to 110 in one week and I see no reason why Broughton won't return to his 'normal' average.
    I may be proved wrong but I reckon this Broughton stuff wreaks of 'panic stations'.

13. Moblets

Moblets New Member

Maybe, but Lyon does appear to be using him in more lock down roles. I'm really worried he wont get to that 95 average as a result. Mundy about to return also which will keep him playing on the most dangerous small forward.

14. whips

whips New Member

I don't really disagree Moblets but that's not enough for me to use a trade ATM. Good discussion!!

15. Stampede

Stampede Member

whips, my view on it I think is similar to yours - on the available evidence it seems Broughton is going to average less than premium but perhaps not enough less than premium to justify at trade. The question then would be: how much less than premium will I accept at this point in order to not use a trade? What's the cut-off point? Ie, if you knew he would average 90 would you keep him and save the trade? What about 85? Then of course there's the fact that we don't know with any certainty what he will average.

To put it in perspective, last year to be top 10 backs you have to average 93 and top 7 backs was 96.

On the other hand, perhaps this is going about it the wrong way? Does anyone think the question is merely whether he will end up with a premium average, and if you think he won't you need to cull him now while he still has full value?

16. Moblets

Moblets New Member

I just can't see him being in the top 10 defenders with how he is being used which is why I'm going to cull.

17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

I like how all the attention is on Broughton but nothing much said of Heath Shaw, cost an extra $40k and hardly has scored much more. Add Heath Scotland to that list.

18. Stampede

Stampede Member

@Moblets - so yeah you're thinking anything less than premium is unacceptable. It's a fair argument. For me it also depends on how many trades I'd need to use to give him the cull and the main replacement I'd want would be Goddard but I can't do that without two trades which makes it a harder decision.

@AA - good point, and with them it's not a question of role, just performance, so in that sense you could actually argue that Broughton is a better bet seeing as there is some chance he'll play a midfield role. But do you not see the Heaths picking it up before long?

19. whips

whips New Member

@stampede & moblets
    Yep, you've pretty much convinced me. If not top 10 he needs to go before his price drops too much. This is the week for correctional trades. With most rookies going ok, Broughton will be looked at. I'll find it very hard to accept that two weeks of ordinary scoring can overcome three years of pretty good but worth a look.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Re Heath Shaw, he's ok. 91 in Rd1 was a good return and last night seemed a messy game all round. He has always thrown in a few sub par scores but still averages well.

20. TigersTooTough

Freo has Brisbane this week which makes me think about who he will tag...Brisbane don't have a really dangerous forward that needs to be tagged and you would say Crowley would go to Rockliff or Redden. Have no idea what to do. Anyone think that a sideways trade to Adcock is worth it? I already have Birchall so he's off the list