Dustin Martin - what to do?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by easty01, Apr 17, 2012.

1. easty01

easty01 New Member

Expected him to have a slight battle against Carl/Coll but after watching him spud it up against Melbourne last weekend I'm getting nervous.

Either he's playing injured and it's been kept under wraps or he's sadly out of touch. Either way he's already bled 44k, and with a break-even of 160 and a game against an angry Geelong this week he's set to bleed plenty more.

So, what to do:

1. Keep the faith?
    2. Commit the cardinal sin and sideways him to someone like N-Roo, Whitecross, Lewis, Sidebottom?
    3. Downgrade him to Stanley (probably a week late) and set aside the cash for an upgrade elsewhere?

Appreciate your thoughts 'cos I'm in limbo at the moment...

2. defeatest

defeatest New Member

i put him in mids and swapped him for Barlow but i may change my mind, either way he is out this week. Had high expectations of him this year 2 :(

3. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

It's just bad luck that you got him. Cut your losses now and if your brave enough...feel free to pick him up after round 9, thats my plan :)

4. gogonz

gogonz New Member

feeling very happy with my porpoise in for dusty last week... and the extra $300k too!

5. Muttley

Muttley New Member

@easty01

1) if you do keep him past this week, you'll have to stick with him for a while for him to get his value back up.
    2) Cardinal sin ?, mid-pricers were a no-no before this year, weren't they ?. If it suits your team, do it, back yourself.
    3) Could be a good move, money in the bank, they're values might even get on par in a few weeks, and you could swap them back over for a profit when the Tigers draw improves.

FWIW I put him out last week before his 1st price drop, and I'm still happy with that. Like H_Dons, I want to get him back in later, its just not happening for him right now.

6. whufc

whufc New Member

I want to get rid of him and would especially love to get Tippett in especially considering his got the GWS this week. Only issue is i have Dangerfield and Porps already in my forward line. 3 from the Crows would be far to many me thinks.

7. Turbs

Turbs New Member

I'm holding him he'll likely score a big one this week and i don't really care about price drops on players I picked as keepers as long as they come good lol

8. gogonz

gogonz New Member

<blockquote>Quote from whufc on April 16, 2012, 22:42
    I want to get rid of him and would especially love to get Tippett in especially considering his got the GWS this week. Only issue is i have Dangerfield and Porps already in my forward line. 3 from the Crows would be far to many me thinks.</blockquote>

but porps is a cash cow and danger can go mids.

9. whufc

whufc New Member

Gogonz

Agree about Porps, currently i dont have any mids who are multi position players and i dont plan on trading mids anytime soon.

10. Tango

Tango New Member

@Turbs. Agree with you on this one. I'm guessing everyone else will have to deal with the Fyfe issue first, so a playing premium is not at the top of my list of problems.

We all saw how Broughton rewarded his owners who stuck with him this weekend. Might have been extenuating circumstances, but he tonned up nonetheless, while his replacement Dempsey spudded up (well he got injured, but he scored 6 points).

11. easty01

easty01 New Member

some good responses here, folks - thanks ;)

@Turbs, @Tango - you've almost convinced me to keep him.

12. Fez

Fez Moderator

Yeah I'm thinking about booting him problem is there's no forwards that are massive standouts also got the Fyfe issue to deal with as well. Think Martin stays for now,

13. obleex

obleex New Member

^ Save yourself some cash and get Chad/Robinson as uniques? Will probably average around the same.

14. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

I think the general rule is that you don't burn a trade on a premium due to a form slump because they have a tendency to come good. If you are contemplating trading him out, the real question is why is he playing poorly... Is it the quality of opposition? Has he got a heavy tag he can't shake? Is he getting isolated up forward? Is he carrying an injury? Is his disposal efficency below standard? Or can he just not get near the footy? I haven't been able to catch much of the Richmond games so I'm not much help here. I would recommend considering why you think he is performing at a sub-standard level and thinking about and maybe asking on this site whether or not you think this will change. Then make your decision. I hope that helps.

15. JM

JM Member

I don't have the answers to those questions CJ22, but I agree with the general rule not to trade out a premium player because they have played 3 mediocre games. At least you know he will be getting a run each week, and keep in mind you picked him for a reason. I'm going to stick with him, trades are more valuable IMO.

16. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

Martin stays for the season for me, have bigger issues carrying fyfe, Dempsey?
    I reckon keep the faith if u kept him beyond last week.
    That being said I'm probably gonna sideways fyfe into Nroo

17. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately keep the faith. I'm hurting but trading will hurt more.

18. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Keeping Marting and Fyfe, outside 2 or 3 correction trades to bring in the top scoring rookies and trades for LTIs, trades should be used only for downgrades and upgrades, premiums usually do bounce back to premium type scoring.

19. Fridge

Fridge New Member

I have him traded out for Whitecross at the moment but can always go back. I think Whitecross will go up to 450k+ if he keeps it up and could possibly be a keeper. I can always trade Stanley or another moo cow back to Martin later when he is cheaper, then upgrade mids.

It will come back to bite me I bet but I am going to hope he does poorly!

20. leb17

leb17 New Member

i think martin will come good sooner rather than later. Im a tigers man and have seen all his games so far, and despite not scoring well last week he actually went back to having an impact in some of the contested situations. He turned it over a bit, but otherwise i dont think he was far off really breaking out for the first time this year.

Dont know about the rest of you, but for one i have bigger issues!! fyfe, lake, ledger to start with