MRP Lindsay Thomas

Discussion in 'AFL' started by bgt2110, Apr 24, 2012.

1. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

Just wondering whether people believe the 3 weeks penalty handed out to Lindsay Thomas is fair ?

If the AFL is to stamp out people sliding in feet/knees first then i believe it is. Should also be a wake up call to how lucky Goodes was not to have done more damage with his technique of doing similar.

2. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Moderator

At least I won't have to worry about LT missing every set shot for a few weeks.

It may actually improve our forward line.

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Tough call. I think though after Goodes got done, everyone was on notice.

I do think Thomas will be a bit more stiff given he was first to the ball, but maybe the only reason he was first is because he was sliding in like that dog Kevin Muscat.

Similar result.

4. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Asks the coach of the Jackrabbits...

5. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

If Lindsay was first to ball then why was Rohan given a free kick? Obviously there was something wrong with incident on match day (or am i mistaken thinking he got free?)

BTW think he is stiff but after Goodes incident you cant go in with the feet, something like this was going to happen sooner or later.

6. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

Rohan was not given a free kick, play continued and ball went into the middle before a stretcher was called.

I think it is the worst MRP decision since....oh only two weeks ago and the Whitecross decision.

I swear, if a player ran into the fence and broke his arm, the MRP would try to suspend the fence.

7. Gary78

Gary78 New Member

Think the Goodes and Thomas incidents were completely different.

Goodes went to the contest with his legs first expecting contact with his knees/legs in the first instance.

Thomas went to the ball low but on his feet but I believe he slipped at the last minute and it was unfortunate that his foot happened to make contact with Rohans ankle the exact same time his foot was planted.

Think Goodes has to change his technique.. looking at Thomas incident, I dont' think he did anything incorrect.

8. Marcus45

Marcus45 New Member

Ridiculous decision by MRP. Perfectly executed move by Thomas to deal with a greasy ball running away from him. It wasn't even really a slide. Was more trying to plant his foot on the ground to stop him sliding and unfortunatly Rohan planted his foot at the exact same time on that spot

Unfortunate accident and nothing more

9. gogonz

gogonz New Member

If Goodes went, Thomas has to go. And let's be honest, Goodes didn't put his opponent out for a season.

Personally, both rubbish calls.

10. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

The extent of the injury is irrelevant unless it was intentional. People can long term injuries just walking (Roughead).

Many people are saying Rohan's ankle buckled even before Thomas made contact, if so how can you blame Thomas?

11. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

The Goodes one was silly and I don't even see how they are comparable. LT was more like the Port player that Goodes slid into, not Goodes. Plus it was wet.

12. gogonz

gogonz New Member

So Goodes was intentional and didn't do any damage and still gets a week? Interesting thought process. Watch out Buddy, you'll be luck to play 8 games this season for all the times that elbow comes out but doesn't make contact. Intentional, no impact.

13. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/442536/Rohan%20stretchered%20off/

Watch the replay as many times as you want,
    Lindsay Thomas did nothing illegal here.
    he clearly had eyes only for the ball,
    MRP don't seem to realise the extent to which a fast moving players momentum restricts their available options when a split second decision has to be made.

14. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Deliberating now, we'll know within the next 5 min.

15. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Lindsay Thomas cleared to play

16. FlyUp

FlyUp Member

Some common sense finally!! I hope other clubs are taking notes from these tribunal cases to see what the tribunal arguments are.

17. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

good news

18. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

I don't think Goodes' slide was particularly harmful but he's done it before and the MRP are concerned that other players may execute with more vigor or malice to dangerous effect.

It's also doesn't look good and isn't a great example to junior footy so he becomes the fall guy.

The Lindsay Thomas incident was totally different and I can't believe he was even cited. He approached the contest well and I wouldn't know how anyone could have avoided that accident without pulling out of the contest.

19. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Stevie J not guilty aswell

20. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Yesssss.