The Massive Mumford Mishap. What to do with him?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by nolanb13, Apr 25, 2012.

1. nolanb13

nolanb13 New Member

I'm sure there are many other coaches with the same issue.
    I was strongly considering Sandilands, but due to his recent injury, I think he is off the cards. Cox's form has been ... well ... questionable, so that leaves me with a few options.
    1) H-Mac: great form, cheap price, allows room for upgrade. But has his price been inflated due to softer opposition?
    2) Ryder: Need to make a decision on this one quickly. Also possible inflated price, but great form and frees up about 70k
    3) Jacobs: Solid, nothing special
    4) Kreuzer: Very popular pick at the start of the season but has been pulling out some average scores

So those are my main picks. Anyone got any suggestions with what to do with Mummy.
    Do we ... dare ... hold him?
    Thoughts please.

2. Quantum

Quantum New Member

Hold him

Infection in his back due to cortizone. They are hopeful it will clear up and he will be right to go after the weeks rest.
    If Ablett misses 2 weeks, are you going to trade him? Same to Mummy, keep i say and then evaluate in another week if again he isnt named

3. nolanb13

nolanb13 New Member

He has burned we twice this year and is going to struggle to reach top form once he returns. I think the downgrade is the best option as he can be traded back in once the Redden's and Stephenson's have fattened up nicely. I'm not too concerned about Ablett as most other coaches will be facing the same issue, and he is far to precious to trade out. HOLD.

4. obleex

obleex New Member

They know what's wrong with him now at least, so I'll be keeping him. On the odd occasion he misses a game later in the year, Giles/Redden are more than capable back ups for a week.

5. Chicko

Chicko New Member

Agree on GAJ - hold. On Mummy, he's burned me twice as well and I'm strongly considering Nic Nat but am going to try and resist!

6. crew

crew New Member

No bigger Mummy fan than me. But last week I went Sandi. Couldn't stand the thought of holding on to him and then come back to poor form and drop price. 1 in the hand as they say. I hung onto Rioli last year and ask me how that worked out ??. :(

7. frozensage

frozensage New Member

I read today Longmire said he will be rested this week? and what's up with Sandi any update on the soreness?

8. Tango

Tango New Member

I went with the 1-1-2 setup this year, so I have Giles to come on and provide more than handy backup for Mummy. If I was running 1-0-3, then I would consider trading him, but the main issue is that none of the alternatives are instilling a great deal of confidence:

Sandi - Injured again
    Cox - Scoring down due to increased gametime of NicNat
    NicNat - Can he maintain current form, or was it due to West Coast's easy early run?

I'm waiting to see a better formline from the other ruck premiums before I make a decision on what to do with Mummy.

9. donatello

donatello New Member

If you already have him, hang on to him.
    If you don't have him, don't go near him

10. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

There's no replacement for mummy that I comfortable with, so I'm just gonna save the trades and hold him. Redden should be back this week to cover him.

11. BigLance

BigLance New Member

Going 1-0-3 and took Mummy out the back paddock and put him down last week. Brought in Nic Nat, at least he's a player i will enjoy watching, and got some cash from it.

12. gogonz

gogonz New Member

Thinking he has to stay. But another week like this and he could end up being a real POD!

13. DC

DC Member

If I still had Mumford I would keep him as he should come good after this week.

I went Mumford->Ryder a few weeks back and happy with that trade so far!

14. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

I hate to mention it again, but following is the average number of games per year the key ruck options have played over the last four years:

Mumford 18 (only three years)
    Sandi 18.5
    Cox 19.75 (includes the injured year when he only played 13 games, 22 if not included)
    Ryder 21.3
    Kreuzer 17 (but 21.5 for his first two years)
    Roughy 18 (but this includes last year's 11 games, 20.3 otherwise)

YMMV, my 2 cents etc, etc

15. Dino

Dino New Member

I traded him last week as I had a feeling it was more serious than what they were letting on and was likely to miss a few weeks.

16. Quantum

Quantum New Member

So who to bring in? With so many people going the 1-0-3 is it worth benching him and playing a rookie each week and then playing him as a POD when he returns?

17. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

If the Big O is back and you dont have him then downgrade to him and play Giles (assumiung your not already) and use the cash elsewhere.

18. Chicko

Chicko New Member

@SKT - that definitely makes the decision somewhat easier....now just who to?! What about Nic Nat?

@bjaensch - great stats, how does NicNat rank in terms of games played since he was drafted? or even just last year? The ideal trade may have been to Ryder but that ship has sailed for this week.

19. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Nic Nat played 20 games in 2011 for total points scored of 1877 and 22 games in his rookie year for 1566 points. Barring a biggish injury (touch wood) he appears to be pretty robust. Good target to bring in post R11 IMHO and pair him up with Big Cox.

Both of them appear to be robust enough to play out a whole season (or at least get 21 of 22 games in) and between the two of them one is looking at over 200 points per game, not spectacular, but not shabby either.

An interesting potential factoid: last year a Cox and Nic Nat combo would have netted you 4566 points for the year. If they keep up their current scoring averages (i.e. neither gets any worse or better), they will score 4510 between them. i.e. not much in it from a points combined total perspective.

Ryder or Nic Nat are the best choices of the current pack of options IMHO: both play plenty of games and both seem to have lifted their scoring a notch. One could question whether Ryder is able to keep his start to the year up or not, but he is probably good for around 100 each game. Which is basically all the others are doing, with the exception of Sandi and guess what: he is out (and he has never scored more than 2166 points total in a year).

20. nolanb13

nolanb13 New Member

Alright, so i think we can safely say our options are:
    1) Nicnat
    2) H-Mac
    3) Kreuzer
    (Ryder can't be traded in this week, plus i think his scoring has been inflated)
    I think the best trade would be Nicnat at this early stage as he is likely the most consistent performer.