Is it time to fix the 1-3 ruck structure?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by RAR, Apr 27, 2012.

1. RAR

RAR New Member

Started with Munford, now Sandilands and it is only a matter of time for Giles to take a rest. Bye rounds seem sure to create further problems.

Part of me says just take a doughnut this week, no big deal. The other part can see a half box of doughnuts sitting on the shelf and thinks it is time to bite the bullet and bring in a playing ruck to replace Redden or Stephensen.

Still in striking range in both supercoach and dreamteam so I am stewing of this quite a bit.

Interested in thoughts.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

It's not just one :donut: as you say because of bye rounds. Doing the fix-up trade now helps this week and during byes.

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

the 1-0-3 works fine as long as your premium was not Sandi or Mummy. I've got Cox and quite happy with adding Giles 80-100 points per round into my score and not having him on the bench.

Once the rucks settle down a bit and a clear second premium emerges it should be time to upgrade Giles.

4. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

With Stephenson and Redden not getting games, I'm worried when one of my other rucks has a 1-2 week injury. However it is working and i'd hate to have Giles on the pine while he's doing as well as the others. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

5. Corks

Corks Member

If I was gunning for overall, I'd fix it now. No sign of Redden or Stephenson getting regular games, so you're exposed week-in week-out. Stephenson looks like a stinker at the moment, not getting games and when he does he's no good. Waste of space.

An option would be to bring in Roughie who's looking back near his best, and Rowe or another cheap R/F even though he's no cow, so you can swing R2 through forward and back, and use Giles in R2 when all are playing.

6. pollypies

pollypies Member

I agree, Giles has been perfectly aceptable as R2. It is just your choise of R1 that it the issue. Unfortunately, I was one of the many that traded Mummy for Sandi and cop a donut this week.

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

As long as you didnt go for Goldy/Cox/Mummy/Sandi/Burger you are fine. The 1-3 is still the best strategy at moment.

Having Giles on bench is a complete waste of points. Upgrade him closer to byes if you need to avoid donut.

8. Corks

Corks Member

That's a long list not to have gone Thunda

9. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Maybe but when you break them down as to reason not to select thembefore season then its pretty clear!

Mumford - Always misses games through suspension so have to plan to cover at some stage

Sandilands - Dominate ruckman but seems injury prone, especially afte rlast year. Will get rested & share ruck load

Goldstein - With McIntosh back he will probably steal lot points and limit his output.

Burger - Has been injury prone in the past. 2011 only full season he's played. Buy with caution.

Cox - Over priced, even if scored 115 each week upto bye would still drop $100K

BTW this is what i was saying before season, and lot people made mention. Not just saying it now in hindsight...

10. Corks

Corks Member

Yes, but if memory serves me you were also saying McEvoy was no good...then you selected him in your team!

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from Corks on April 27, 2012, 16:52
    Yes, but if memory serves me you were also saying McEvoy was no good...then you selected him in your team!</blockquote>

:) :D hehe yes i just wanted him as a POD this year!! Although i probably should have backed my judgment as he also hasnt been all that crash hot!

12. DavisJD

DavisJD New Member

I think it come back to how many trades you've used so far.
    If it's 0,1, 2 maybe consider it at 3...

Trade around a donut.

If you've already spent 3 trades or more. Eat that donut, going to be a long year.

13. Corks

Corks Member

Love it Thunda :D Next year I'll listen to you except when it comes to the saints ;)

I'm still comfortable with Sandi - one week is no big deal. All of the rucks, especially the one-out guys, will miss 2 or 3 games this year. Problem this week is the unforeseen weakness of the Redden / Big O backup.

14. RAR

RAR New Member

Thanks guys. Decided I was not hungering for doughnuts. Roughie in for the Big Zero in both supercoach and dreamteam. So you can all just watch Roughie fall over now.

15. turbo

turbo New Member

But do you think Sandi is just 1 week Corks? With "knee soreness" and "bleeding down the back of the calf" adding to his pre-season troubles, I honestly can't see him making the 10 hr round flight for a nothing game on the GC next week.

On that basis, I have bitten the bullet and traded him to HMac to save 2 donuts and realise the upside I believe HMac has.

16. Obi

Obi New Member

Agree completely turbo. Did exactly the same trade. Used the extra coin to bring in Duffield for Morris. Working out okay at the moment.

17. Debunked

Debunked New Member

anyone think part of the reason rucks like redden, stephenson aren't getting games is BECAUSE a lot of the bigger established ruckmen (sandi, leub, mummy, etc) are missing? ie if leunberger and hudson were linging up tonight (prob voss' preferred set u) surely geelong would play orren and west?