Rookie Rucks

Discussion in 'AFL' started by husslar, May 1, 2012.

1. husslar

husslar New Member

TS Community

Are there any rucks out there to downgrade to? Going to finally boot Mumford this week and play Giles at R2... But who do i get in. Big O struggles to get games and struggles to score when he does. Was thinking Longer after Leun's injury but he was not picked last week.
    Maybe the best thing to do is buy the cheapest RUC/FWD and plan on bringing Roughead into my team?

Anyone else have this problem? Any Rucks out there at all?

2. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Hey husslar , i booted the big muumy last week and went with the hawks cheap R/F as a premanent R/4, With the idea to get in roughead this week or next!! Could of done it last week but went with goodes instead!! The way giles is playing more than happy to keep him to the bye rounds!!

3. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

There doesnt seem to be any rookie rucks thats the problem, when you scroll down the page of cheaps rucks all you see is a sea of zeros. For sandilands this week will probably be another will he/wont he only to find out that he wont play again, and when hes ruled out it stands to reason the other two spuds in redden and stephenson wont get recalled i can just see it now. Would like to just bite the bullet and get mcintosh in but i dont have the cash and none of the rookies are ready for culling yet. Its a real dilemma.

4. leb17

leb17 New Member

Dont like reddens prospects of getting a game soon, but i do think there is a chance the Big O could get a game this week. Tore it up in the 2s by all reports and agianst melbourne might not be a bad game to give him experience in

5. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

Will be surprised if Redden isn't named this week myself. Like Roughead as a ruck for a lot of reasons - his DPP, the Hawks draw, the lack of competition he faces at the Hawks (who don't have a true all-ground ruck option) the fact he's only in 3% of teams, his goal kicking potential etc. Also there really aren't that many ruck options out there - its not as if we can choose from 6 rucks that are averaging 110+ each week.

Think Longer will get another go later in the season, Derickx from the Tigers might get a lash at it too later on, but until they're pencilled in for their 3rd game with good form behind them talking about them is pretty pointless.

6. Moblets

Moblets New Member

No rookie options - Renouf and Cordy seem to be the cheapest options.

A good option I think is a M/F rookie and then get Roughhead in your forward line.

7. husslar

husslar New Member

Thanks for all the contributions...

It seems there is very little out there. Just a bit wary to trade Mummy to a rookie that will never play, bc of all the injuries/resting/etc... But down to a MPP and Roughead in the FWD line may be the way to go. Would like to see Redden play some more for some cover if i need it.. and some cash!

Pretty obvious that set and forget rucks (cox and Mummy) has really backfired for me this year. Scary thing is i had McIntosh in with Cox at one stage, would have been nice if i stuck with that.

8. gogonz

gogonz New Member

I'm really keen to go go Mummy >>>> Longer but anyone got any ideas on his JS??? Named this week but who knows. Kruezer being rested has really forced my hand. But on the upside, it allows me to complete my midfield by bringing in JPK for Shiel.

Thoughts?

9. yt

yt New Member

i reckon longer might be in and out every few games this year depending who they play..

ive also got the mummy dilemma, thinking either nicnat or cox, going for a league win tho anyone got reccomendations?

10. Muppets

Muppets Member

@yt
    I agree that Longer will be a bit in and out but his first game he looked good after Luey went down. To prevent a donut I'm really thinking of doing a sideways Redden to Longer. I feel Longer is going to play more than Redden from here to actually make me some money down the track. Plus I make a massive $5K on the deal.

11. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from yt on May 3, 2012, 21:17
    i reckon longer might be in and out every few games this year depending who they play..

ive also got the mummy dilemma, thinking either nicnat or cox, going for a league win tho anyone got reccomendations?</blockquote>

Go the gunts Yt !

12. yt

yt New Member

haha, the gunts are comin!

13. the_steadier

the_steadier Moderator

I've had this issue this week too.
    I've had the Looney Burger riding the pine since he went down... and playing that magnificent bastard Giles.
    Initially I was holding Looney in wait of jumping on Redden before he went up in &#36;&#36; again in his 4th game.
    But that hasn't happened.

Which actually solved 2 problems for me :)

Problem 1. Opening rounds I was spewing seeing Giles knocking out premo scores on the bench. (Cox, Looney, Giles, Big O was original team)
    Looney goes down- problem solved. (sorry matthew- silver lining and all that...)

Problem 2. I was going to waste a perfectly good &#36;80,000 getting Redden, but during the weeks he has been out I've come to my senses and this week spent that 80 large on a brand new Pendlebury!

So I have said welcome to the team.... Mr Adam Pattinson.
    at 90k with afl experience- sure his job prospects aren't great... but spending Pendlemoney on an R4 would keep me awake at night.

14. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from yt on May 3, 2012, 22:53
    haha, the gunts are comin!</blockquote>

I like the confidence mate ! hopefully you can drag our league in the top 100 leagues !!

I just hope you either tank or have a shocker in rd 13 vs the (not so)SUPER SQUAD !!

15. yt

yt New Member

yeah the rucks are just a massive head doer this year!

yeah decided to finally get on a diet and stop all these donuts i've been having! so hopefully my average should jump a fair bit in the next few weeks!

haven't even taken the byes into consideration so there's a pretty good chance ill just bomb out for those rounds!

16. ShouldBeCoaching

ShouldBeCoaching New Member

any love for renouf?
    his j/s should be much higher than longer or stevenson's long term & playing as PTA's number one ruck (which is traditionally a lucrative position) may increase his average to actually make more money then either of them if looking at a cash cow perspective.
    i'm thinking mumford > renouf. d.smith > pendles

17. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I said this in the round 6 teams thread but thought it wise to repeat here after reading above comments.

Renouf managed to find his way into Port's team as lead ruck the past 2 weeks primarily due to Redden needing to be given a break after initially suffering a gastro bug for a week or 2, then copping a bit of flu or some other virus which laid him low.
    Redden has actually missed all football for the past 2 weeks, but he has been selected to play seniors for WWT Eagles in the SANFL this weekend - to me this is a wise move because it gives him a chance to find a bit of touch after having those couple of weeks off.

As for Renouf, he hasn't really set the world on fire, and I think you will find that what he has produced in his 2 games is pretty much the upper limit of his scoring capacity.

Lobbe has played the past 2 weeks in West Adelaide's seniors in the SANFL - his 2nd game last week was in a Foxtel Cup match against Claremont I think, and he didn't get many touches apart from 21 hit-outs, resulting in him being dropped to West's reserves this week.
    I think it is safe to assume Lobbe is probably a couple more weeks away from pressing for selection than initially thought.

As for where each of these 3 ruckmen sit in the pecking order at Port, I honestly think that with Redden's dramatic improvement over the pre-season, combined with Lobbe & Renouf's interrupted preparations, has them pretty much sitting equal - maybe with Renouf just a touch behind the other 2 if they were all fit, firing & available.

It is pretty hard to work out how selection will go when all 3 are available & in some sort of form & fitness - Port has been well served by Dan Stewart as a back-up, pinch-hitting ruck so far (apart from round 5 where Trengove & to a lesser extent Westhoff performed that role).
    Both Lobbe & Redden are capable of resting up forward and contributing on the scoreboard which they do often at SANFL level.

18. Moblets

Moblets New Member

i have sandy, giles, redden ang big o - i think i'm going to have to switch redden to longer to cover my donut - or do people think i should take the donut?

19. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Bearfly on May 4, 2012, 01:11
    I said this in the round 6 teams thread but thought it wise to repeat here after reading above comments.

Renouf managed to find his way into Port's team as lead ruck the past 2 weeks primarily due to Redden needing to be given a break after initially suffering a gastro bug for a week or 2, then copping a bit of flu or some other virus which laid him low.
    Redden has actually missed all football for the past 2 weeks, but he has been selected to play seniors for WWT Eagles in the SANFL this weekend - to me this is a wise move because it gives him a chance to find a bit of touch after having those couple of weeks off.

As for Renouf, he hasn't really set the world on fire, and I think you will find that what he has produced in his 2 games is pretty much the upper limit of his scoring capacity.

Lobbe has played the past 2 weeks in West Adelaide's seniors in the SANFL - his 2nd game last week was in a Foxtel Cup match against Claremont I think, and he didn't get many touches apart from 21 hit-outs, resulting in him being dropped to West's reserves this week.
    I think it is safe to assume Lobbe is probably a couple more weeks away from pressing for selection than initially thought.

As for where each of these 3 ruckmen sit in the pecking order at Port, I honestly think that with Redden's dramatic improvement over the pre-season, combined with Lobbe & Renouf's interrupted preparations, has them pretty much sitting equal - maybe with Renouf just a touch behind the other 2 if they were all fit, firing & available.

It is pretty hard to work out how selection will go when all 3 are available & in some sort of form & fitness - Port has been well served by Dan Stewart as a back-up, pinch-hitting ruck so far (apart from round 5 where Trengove & to a lesser extent Westhoff performed that role).
    Both Lobbe & Redden are capable of resting up forward and contributing on the scoreboard which they do often at SANFL level.</blockquote>

Great info: thanks for posting.

20. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Problem with Longer is not that he should get a game based on ability, but that his coach Michael Voss is a nut who doesn't like to play developing ruckmen.