Advice on the Downgrade/Upgrage before the Bubble Pops!

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Gonaddz, May 7, 2012.

1. leb17

leb17 New Member

Havent seen any of adams, but whats his JS like. If strong, i might do a double downgrade also, getting rid of Magner and Kennedy, for Horsely and Adams. Freeing up cap room for some much needed upgrades around the byes!!

2. shortsandahoody

shortsandahoody New Member

Adams fits the downgrade description perfectly, a top draft pick, i think 11. injury interrupted preseason, so didnt start the year in the team, played a few NEAFL games, now into the side, a solid build so ready for AFL action and he has good disposal, which is good for SC. JS is good being from GWS. and has the Fwd/Mid link too..

3. shortsandahoody

shortsandahoody New Member

Now that Goodes is out for 6 weeks? is it worth picking up Adams for Goodes, or stick with Kennedy out?

4. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

Im going milera and kennedy to horseley and adams, then next week goodes and magner to pendles and priddis? Unfortunately looks like ill miss the boat on spurr

5. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Thats a good question as I have Goodes and 6 weeks is way too long it might be a double downgrade. Have to wait till teams are announced but it seems like the most logical answer.

6. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

@H_Dons,
    re. "No downgrades available in rucks yet"

I'd suggest Billy Longer a viable d/grade option,
    He put in a very acceptable debut v Sandilands @Subiaco in the match where Leuenberger went down,
    85 points was impressive.
    The effort did leave him knackered & was rested after that.
    His 23 in the 1st half v Essendon was ordinary & he was subbed off,
    so maybe a bit of a risk,
    but with Leuenberger not expected back for 10 or more weeks,
    if named for round 7,
    Longer has the time & potential to be a decent mooer imo.

7. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

I did think of Longer...but I am concerned he will continue to play one then miss one...and then Burger will be back soon!

Longer is most definitely the only one. Perhaps if you haven't got Big O then he is another when he eventually plays again.

Longer's initial starting price is just so high...I fear Redden from Port will not get another game this year and if I downgraded him for Longer I would make just 20k = the definition of a wasted trade.

8. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

Just wanting your thoughts guys.
    Last week did the downgrade of Cam Guthrie to Lee Spurr and upgraded James Magner to Josh P. Kennedy.

This week, thinking of out Goodes and Dylan Shiel(risky but so was Magner as they both had/have a bit to moo) and in Horsely and Taylor Adams.
    Then next week, out Ellis and D.Smith in Heath Shaw and any forward.

Only problem is that I will have 15 trades afterwards.
    Is it worth it????

9. swerva3

swerva3 New Member

@Tigers

hard to say without knowing your team but id reckon 15 trades left would mean youll have maybe 6 upgrades left - given you need generally two trades per upgrade and maybe 3 for LTI which are rife at the minute!

if youve got more upgrades required then 6 you might need to reconsdier trading goodes...if you can still grab the wins in leagues and overall is not an option it might be a smart move.

this about right lads?

a double downgrade for me this week will mean a double upgrade next week or the one after...so reluctant to trade goodes, sandi and ablett but going to have to wait for more news to finalise my decision. at any rate i think ill keep goodes for a week and cash in on the two main downgrade targets - horse and adams

10. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

@Gonadzz,
    Goddard, after next round, will be at his lowest price for the season,
    he's currently averaging -8 points per game down on his averages v his opponents,
    if you deduct 8 points from his projected A/A averages for the remainder of the year,
    after the completion of round 7, he'll have bottomed out.
    But Goodes poses a bigger problem,
    I'd sideways him to Sidey if you don't already have him.

@tigers, whether it's worth it depends a lot on your main league position & draw,
    I have a relatively easy 3 weeks ahead in my league so can comfortably sit on injured players like gaz on the pine,
    my m8 has the top 3 league players coming up so must trade more aggressively to hold his top 4 posotion,
    it's all relative to your situation.
    & if going for overall points, anywhere outside of top 7k ranking is unattainable now imo.

11. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Cheers fidelsfinger! I was thinking about that as I already traded in Horse & Adams (17 Trades Down) and next week I was thinking to get Sidebum & Chappy now this could change if Goddard does this rock bottom pricing then I'll get him instead. Otherwise I'll wait till round 8 to grab Goddard. Down to (14 trades) and a pretty potent team.

12. Chicko

Chicko New Member

Would love the loops advice on this. Here is what i'm contemplating.

Scenario 1. Double downgrade like has been mentioned before, Goodes to Adams in FWD, and Magner to Horsely. But am keen to open Mid/Fwd link as i dont have it as yet. (could do this next week after by upgrading Shiel to Dangerfield)

Scenario 2 - Magner to Adams (open mid/fwd link), and Goodes to Dangerfield (recognising I miss Horsely). Next week downgrade Ellis to Spurr (if on the bubble) and upgrade Donuts Dickson to a Beams or like.

Scenario 3 - Magner to Horsley and Donuts Dickson to Adams? and wait on Goodes and opening up the mid/fwd link for the following week?

Thoughts?

13. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

If you're still in the hunt for overall points I'd rule out the double downgrade & go with your option 2.
    If focusing on league I'd weigh up your next opponent, if weak would go with scenario 1,
    If you're in for a tough match then scenario 2.

14. pollypies

pollypies Member

What do you guys think is a healthy number of trades to have left after this round 9? I was thinking of bringing Horsley and Adams in, for Magner and Stanley. This would allow me to bring in two Premiums the next week, leaving me with 13 trades left after Round 9. My only current injuries are GAJ and Sandi (have played one ruck short the last two weeks which has cost me two games (by 30 and 15 points). I need an upgrade in another preimum in my backline eventually, but none have stood out so far (already have Deledio and Goddard).

With the current rate of injuries across teams, I'm wondering if it is better to be conservative with your trades, rather than going crazy with downgrade/upgrade trades. Thoughts?

15. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Healthy? mmmm I'd say 17 but that is my position. I'll be down to 14 by round 9 if all goes well but I think if you have made healthy trades then the number you have left is just a figure. It's the silly wasted trades that ruin you. Like you I'm saving my backline till last with the strong premium set of 4 (Deledio, Scotland, Shaw) And will pick up Goddard in my 15th trade when he is nice and cheap. .