Worst Top 10 Draftee

Discussion in 'AFL' started by The_General, May 8, 2012.

1. The_General

The_General Member

The downhill skiing thread got me thinking. Who has been the worst draftee in recent memory.

To make it a little simpler qualifying criteria needs to be 1999 or later (this is about all I can remember) and they need to have been top 10. Also they actually need to have played enough games to warrant this tag (Gumbleton hasn't played enough!).

Going through some of the lists has completely changed my mind, I thought the spuds Kosi and Fraser would be right up there, but then there are people named Luke Livingston and Luke Molan that I've never even hear of.

I'm sticking with my guns and saying Kosi, with a special shout out to Xavier Ellis somehow being taken as a priority pick!

2. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Luke Livingston :)

Mitch Thorpe, Beau Dowler, pretty much anyone drafted by Richmond before Brett Deledio.

3. Tango

Tango New Member

spud (adj) - refer Clarke, X and Clarke, R
    2 posts into a crap draftee forum and nobody has mentioned Tambling yet. This must be some kind of record! And what about everybody's favourite drug taking petty thief, Laurence Angwin?

4. The_General

The_General Member

HAHA so the Saints had Kosi, and 2 Clarke's. Hope that guy got sacked!

To be fair to Beau Dowler, I think he has had massive injury issues.

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Danny Roach, though he only played one game, was the end for Judkins at Collingwood.

Not wanting to put a point on it, but the Pies downtraded 3 to 7, got McKee. AND gave Clinton King to the Tigers as well. Now not wanting to analyse this more than necessary but as McKee was not a world beater, King must have been so bad that we needed the Tigers to take an incentive to actually get him.

3 was used by Richmond to get Fiora, 4 was used by Freo to get yep PAVLICH.

Absolutely cost the Pies a few flags that trade I reckon, even if McKee gave Fraser a few decent years as a ruck-forward in the Leigh Brown role before it was known as the Leigh Brown role.

Funnily enough Leigh Brown himself was drafted at 5 in that draft.

6. wah

wah New Member

Pretty unfair to include Luke Molan in this I would have thought, here's a synopsis of his career;

<blockquote>
    ¦ Broke his leg so badly playing VFL for Sandringham that he finished up kneeling despite the sole of his foot being flat on the ground. Did not play again in the 2002 season.

¦ Missed five weeks in early 2003 with a cartilage tear then, mid-season, dived to spoil a mark at North Ballarat. In one lunge, he broke his collarbone, was concussed, and ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament upon hitting the ground. Season over, he was delisted.

</blockquote>

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-super-unlucky-pick-from-the-superdraft-20091124-j5uy.html

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

And Raph & Xaviar haven't had any injury issues in their careers!

Just remember all these so called spuds are 1000000000000 times better then anyone of us, so who are the real spuds.

Also Gotta say these threads are pretty disappointing & not something I vet expected to see on this site.

8. The_General

The_General Member

@wah,

Not saying Molan was a spud at all, just had never even heard of him. Your post explains why.

Sorry to disappoint you SKT, didn't know there were taboo topics here. Also, I didn't realise that this thread was "Which Top 10 Draftee am I Better Than".

Jack Watts is fast approaching my list. Youth is the only thing saving him currently.

9. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Just to say - thats a wonderful story on Luke Molan as well. Beautifully written

10. Moblets

Moblets New Member

Mark Bolton at pick 4 must raise a special mention for me. Arron Fiora although I don't know what pick must be right up there too. My old favorite Clive Waterhouse also a ripper.

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Just love how you say Gumbleton doesn't qualify cos he hasn't played enough games but blokes that hve played over 170 games and kicke 200+ goals are spuds... I think most people would rather Kosi/Fraser on their list then Gumbketon who can't even get out on park.. But then again u said Dal Santo is downhill skier and assume u think Stanton is best player in afl and can handle tag the best out of any player...

Btw I'm nowhere near Kosi's biggest fan but if you can get 150+ games out of anyone no matter what pick they went at then they aren't a spud..

12. The_General

The_General Member

This has nothing to do with bias for me. Your probably right in that I would rather those guys at this stage than Gumbleton.

The point is Kosi has more talent than most and has everything going for him from a physicality point of view. However, he has amounted to little more than a fringe player. For mine, the reason he has actually played so many games is because of how terrible St Kilda were in the early to mid 2000's.

On Stanton, he is a bit of a downhill skier as well and can join our mate Little Dal.

13. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on May 8, 2012, 11:45
    And Raph & Xaviar haven't had any injury issues in their careers!

Just remember all these so called spuds are 1000000000000 times better then anyone of us, so who are the real spuds.

Also Gotta say these threads are pretty disappointing & not something I vet expected to see on this site.</blockquote>

I couldn't agree more! This site is so great because of its supercoach analysis and experts, don't bring it down with topics like downhill skiers and worst draftees, leave that rubbish to other forums.