Clay Smith likely to get more game time?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by traviso, May 8, 2012.

1. traviso

traviso Active Member

Any doggies fans have any thoughts about what Clay Smith's opportunities are likely to be for the rest of the year. Tossing up trading him out as dead weight for someone who will make money?

2. huvaduva

huvaduva New Member

Tough call. Only changes this week seem like they will be in the backline (Markovic in, maybe Howard too; Wood out, maybe Austin too). On the plus: Clay was emergency last week, and he's Macca's love child. On the minus: He didn't do much in Williamstown's woeful 105-25 loss to Port Melbourne last weekend (admittedly the game was played in a mud-bath though). Wallis started as sub last week despite playing really well and scoring 104 and 105 sc points the two weeks before, which could indicate Macca is still unsure of him/managing his TOG. Replacing Wallis is probably Clay's best chance (baring injury) because the other mids on the periphery have been pretty good (Djerrkura, Sherman, Addison, Veszpremi).

3. Moblets

Moblets New Member

I think he will be in and out all year traviso. They looked to be managing his game time pretty closely. No doubt he will get more senior time but he may not moo until after the bye. If I had him I would consider trading if not named this week.

4. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Smith and hopefully Dickson will be slow burners. I had to cull one a few weeks back to get Treloar in and chose Smith due to the mpp link and extra money to get out of him. As he is an emergency, he is knocking on the door so to speak

5. traviso

traviso Active Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess at the moment i'm just stuck with him and hope that he gets game time. I offloaded Dickson as a correction trade early on. Maybe i should've gone the other way as i have no MPP in mids. Mind you Dickson seems like getting a game than Smith..

6. KTBFFH

KTBFFH New Member

My worry with Clay Smith is that his breakeven is rather high, and any games he might play will probably be sub affected.

If this is the case, it will limit his price rises. But to offload him after only a $50k rise seems pointless.

7. Gary78

Gary78 New Member

Same issue here. Been stung by having him and GAblett on the bench last week and then no Emergency cover for Sellwood's late ommission. I'm trading either him or Magner for Horsley this week. Cant decide which though.

8. HanoiHawks

HanoiHawks New Member

@gary78. What you wrote is exactly what happened to me. We are clearly unlucky geniuses in a tough world.

9. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

Same thing here! Smith and yablett on the bench and then duckwood late out. I actually traded him for horseley last week, but then reversed it with three minutes to go until the lockout. Hopefully heh will get more games, mightve just been a bit sore after his first few (wishful thinking)

10. KTBFFH

KTBFFH New Member

Clay Smith has been named on the extended bench. As has Tory Dickson

11. Like a V6

Like a V6 New Member

is he worth keeping? seems like everyone like me who kept him was going to trade him to Horsley this week.

He was almost BOG in Round 1 with 4 goals before a fading quickly. May have just been the adrenaline rush of a debut match. But I agree - trading him out for only 30k extra doesn't seem worth it, especially if he is a chance to play.

But at the same time, my other Horsley options are Magner or Shiel and I rate them both..for game time and points.

What are C Smith owners going to do???

12. huvaduva

huvaduva New Member

I guess we'll know soon enough but I'm guessing smith will be in for djerrkura, then probably a fair chance for the green bib...

13. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Eor those that have kept him even the green bib would be a step in the right direction !!

Can you tell I am yet another Csmith/Ablett/Selwood owner who hates not being able to name all 3 E's ??

14. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Dickson in. Clay Smith emergency.