Defensive downrgrades?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by obleex, May 14, 2012.

1. Moblets

Moblets New Member

I don't think Delaney JS is very good - you would think Grima and Hansen are going to take his place.

2. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Moblets on May 14, 2012, 12:35
    I don't think Delaney JS is very good - you would think Grima and Hansen are going to take his place.</blockquote>

+1

3. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from TheTassieHawk on May 14, 2012, 12:37
    <blockquote>Quote from Moblets on May 14, 2012, 12:35
    I don't think Delaney JS is very good - you would think Grima and Hansen are going to take his place.</blockquote>

+1</blockquote>
    +1

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking yesterday that Brennan was a downgrade lock this week for my SC team, but Spurr does have a more appealing bye (R12 compared with Brennan's R11).

Spurr looks a little less likely to score as highly as Brennan, but perhaps more likely to keep getting games throughout the remainder of the season.

Do we know if Brennan's debut score (47) was affected by a vest of some colour?

5. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

The best 5 cows on the bubble after this round will all be defenders,

3 round profit projections will be
    Brennan +132k
    Cam Delaney +130k
    Spurr +110.9k
    Sumner +69k
    Wilkes should be right up there depending on how he goes tonight.

My problem is not having any defenders quite ready to offload yet,
    Morris maybe, but was planning on holding him another week or 2,
    his BE will still be a safe 36 but he's almost peaked, not much more profit in him,
    if I had Ellis it'd be an easy choice.

Summer would've been up there if not for the vest,
    but Brennan, Delaney, Spurr & Wilkes are the 4 standouts who'll be hard to choose from,
    I like Brennan & Delaney for being the best potential scorers of the bunch,
    but I like the other 2 for having better JS, which is probably more important at this stage.

Probably wise to favour mature aged rookies,
    so Delaney off the table.

Hopefully Wilkes can put in a ripper tonight & make it a no brainer for us, otherwise gonna be a very tough call.

6. silacious

silacious New Member

Brennan played the whole game

7. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Ah, of course, bye round balance, the perfect discriminator, thanks for the reminder Jason.

8. Benny

Benny New Member

I currently rate them as Spurr Brennan Wilkes. I really rate Wilkes but unsure if StK are confident in such a tall forward line so he's behind the other two for me purely because of the injury lists that freo and wce have.

9. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Simonoz on May 13, 2012, 23:47
    Eagles2011....I know very little about Brennan, who looks like the potential d/g along with Spurr.

Do you know much about him? Debuted Rd 6 with a 47, followed that up yesterday with an 87...how is his JS?

Cheers.</blockquote>

JS is the big question, the likes of Schofield and Smith could see him squeezed out. So yeah he's a risk.

10. Moblets

Moblets New Member

Wilkes struggled tonight!! Suggest he will be lucky to hold his spot after that peformance.

11. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Brennan or Spurr it is then, whoever's bye suits your side the best, Brennan has the bye in 11 & Spurr in 12.

12. Chicko

Chicko New Member

I'm going Ellis down to Spurr, Bugg up to Suckling. My backline will then almost be done with Goddard, Scotland, Shaw, Deledio, Suckling, Clarke, Morris with Spurr and Smedts on the bench. Will then wait patiently on Morris for a few more rounds.

Next week - my attention will move to the mids and fwds next week. As above, I'm thinking Shiel will have mooed in another week or so, and i'm thinking Kennedy may also do the same. Rucks and fwds killing me this year....but that's for another topic!

13. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

<blockquote>Quote from Corks on May 13, 2012, 21:48
    Josh Tynan was good for Casey yesterday, but not sure WTF Neald is doing with rookies this year given Couch can't get a game. </blockquote>

Josh Tynan has had stress fractures in his foot, Should be back to the VFL this week but Casey have a Bye, That was his brother LUKE Tynan yesterday. He was very good also though. :)

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Ellis and Bugg out for Spurr and a premium seems like a good trade this week.

Still waiting on Greene to top out before I bring GAJ back in, so a defensive upgrade it can be.

15. G-Train

G-Train Member

Exactly what I did Nick, pending the team sheets of course.

16. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Bugg down to Brennan this week. Holding on Mohr and Morris. Ellis may end up hanging around a while longer on the bench.

Have 5 premium defenders - Lids, BJ, Rance, Shaw, Duffield. My forwards are in need of more work, especially with Christensen going down, so my attention will be there in terms of upgrades in the coming weeks.

Have &#36;600K in the bank, so hoping I can just upgrade once cash cows have matured. Smith almost there, Shiel too, others a little ways away.

17. Seabass

Seabass New Member

Bear in mind with Bugg that GWS is playing Brisbane this week, AKA the other other other shite team - there's no reason he can't pump out a decent score this week against them and make a little more coin.

So for example if you're looking Bugg -> Scotland or another premium with a high BE, might be worth holding off for a week and picking up cheaper next week. You might lose 20pts this week if bugg only gets 80ish and your premium gets 100ish, but may be a better trade in the long run - the money you save might well come in handy later on in the season.

18. bfish

bfish New Member

Bugg still has not had the "rest" yet. Every chance it will come this week.

19. Seabass

Seabass New Member

Just on the "rest", read this on the HUN website yesterday (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/tom-scully-praises-gws-giants-coaching-staff-for-first-victory/story-fn7ec9f5-1226354303925), in particular:

Sheedy believes the six changes he made to the side this week freshened the team up for their barnstorming finish. It is part of a broader philosophy to avoid burnout by not playing any teenager more than 14 games this season and ensuring all the young talent on the list get a chance at senior level: "It was great to see a bit of spirit because normally they've run out of legs in the last quarter," Sheedy said.

"You've got to do it this way. It's a very difficult selection this year for lots of reasons. You have to keep young bodies fresh. You don't want to be petering out at the end of the season."

By the time players hit their 14 games I'd say most of the GWS teenage rookies would've been traded out of most teams, but still food for thought.

20. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

all rookie downgrade selections need to be very careful now.
    Getting Brennan could see you scoring extra donuts each week during the bye rounds.
    Spurr only slightly more safe; wilkes not likely at all - problem being he's pretty crap.
    as we've seen with midprice relevance this year, holding a guy who plays may be smarter than trading into a guy who doesnt - espec during the byes. Gotta really think now. Ill write up a new forum topic for exactly this...