Going for Leagues

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Fitzy, May 22, 2012.

1. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

By now, most of us have given well up on overall. So time to go for leagues. The hardest part of that is, balancing your trades while trying to upgrade. The more trades you have come finals the better off you will be most likely. But if your in a good competitive league you need to focus on getting IN the finals first. That is what makes it so hard... So chuck me some advice if you can.

14 trades left, $239,000

Delidio, Goddard, Lake, Birchall, Dempsey, Morris, Mohr ( Spurr, Ellis )

Ablett, Pendles, Boyd, Murphy, Mundy, Horsley (J-mac, D.Smith)

Kreuzer, Giles (Redden, Stephenson)

Dangerfield, Sidebottom, Franklin, Goodes, Martin, Porplyzia, T.Adams (Treolar, Milera)

As you can see I have kept Goodes to save a trade, but other then that I need some help on what to do with my trades. So go for it, constructive criticism is fine as well :) So how many trades do I need come finals/close to finals. Don't know if I have said this to well, but post some feedback please :)
    Feel free to post your own problems as well :)

2. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

I reckon that you should look at trading Mohr and Dempsey this week and look at Shaw and Darley as replacements and then look at trading Morris and possibly Porps next week. It shouldn't affect bye strategies and would gain some extra points. In terms of how many trades by finals, most of us should be looking at 4 however it is unlikely that serious SuperCoach players will have that many trades left!!!

3. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

obviously Murph is an issue but presume your across that.
    dont reckon its the right week to cut Dempsey, had a couple of games back from the leg and reckon he will have a big month ahead (reckon he should pump out about a 90+ average over next 4). his price will improve so i'd hold.

4. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Mohr and Morris both near culling time ... Darley might be a good in as a downgrade.

Bar Murphy your mids seem OK for now. Horsley a handy M6

Got coverage for Goodes, which is, well, good. Forwards a nice balance.

Reckon at the moment you have a decent spread of ins and outs across all byes, which isn't bad either. Would probably say Rd 13 defence might sting, but Morris and Ellis are tradeable.

5. ThumbsDownBandit

ThumbsDownBandit New Member

Any suggestions on what I should do to handle the byes?
    14 trades left, $300

Deledio, Goddard, Broughton, Shaw, Lake, Heppell, Clarke (Ellis, Guthrie)

Ablett, Mitchell, Selwood, Watson, Sidebottom, Horsley (Mcdonald, Miles)

Dangerfield, Franklin, Cloke, Darling, Jack Riewoldt, Porps, Treloar (Devon Smith, Adams T)

Thinking Smith to Zorko this week.
    And maybe bringing Sidebottom to forwards so I can bring Pendles in mids in the coming rounds?
    Good idea?

Thanks

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I think if you have already jammed in enough wins to be top 4 at the moment or leading into the byes, then I wouldn't bother doing anything different.

Certainly only one or two trades a round during the bye period if that. Then ease your way through the last part of the season.

If you're already stuffed and trying to make the 8, then you might need to bolster your team in two of the bye weeks and throw the other away.

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Darley is coming on board a few weeks too soon for my liking.
    I'd have loved to downgrade Marty Clarke or Morris/Ellis into Darley at Round 12. Doing it beforehand means that I need to tiptoe more than I'd like with regards the R11 byes.

I could downgrade Mohr of course, but he was going to be my dependable D8 for the remainder of the year.

8. Hellraisers

Hellraisers New Member

Heh Lucas same with Rhys Stanley for me, funny how plans change hey...but surely with all the rotations and resting no GWS kid could be kept as a dependable bench player?

9. KTBFFH

KTBFFH New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Fitzy on May 22, 2012, 09:58
    By now, most of us have given well up on overall. So time to go for leagues. The hardest part of that is, balancing your trades while trying to upgrade. The more trades you have come finals the better off you will be most likely. But if your in a good competitive league you need to focus on getting IN the finals first. That is what makes it so hard... So chuck me some advice if you can.

14 trades left, &#36;239,000

Delidio, Goddard, Lake, Birchall, Dempsey, Morris, Mohr ( Spurr, Ellis )

Ablett, Pendles, Boyd, Murphy, Mundy, Horsley (J-mac, D.Smith)

Dangerfield, Sidebottom, Franklin, Goodes, Martin, Porplyzia, T.Adams (Treolar, Milera)

As you can see I have kept Goodes to save a trade, but other then that I need some help on what to do with my trades. So go for it, constructive criticism is fine as well :) So how many trades do I need come finals/close to finals. Don't know if I have said this to well, but post some feedback please :)
    Feel free to post your own problems as well :)</blockquote>

Okay I need some distraction from my own team. Let's breakdown this team

Players that you could keep

DEF: Deledio Goddard Birchall (Lake) x x x
    MID: Ablett Pendlebury Boyd (Mundy) x x
    RUCK: Kreuzer (Giles)
    FWDS: Dangerfield Sidebottom Franklin Goodes Martin x x

As far as filling your entire team with premiums goes, your trades are limited (which is why I have bracketed Lake Mundy and Giles as players you may want to keep). This leaves 7 spots that need filling (8 if you include Murphy).
    You have good cash cows on every line, but a few of them still haven't peaked.

Murphy needs to go. You can either downgrade him for Zorko and net &#36;400k, or downgrade someone else and upgrade Murphy.

Rest of the team
    DEF: Dempsey Morris Mohr Spurr Ellis
    MID: [Murphy] Horsley J-mac DSmith
    RUC: Redden Stephenson
    FWD: Porplyzia TAdams Treloar Milera

Players who have peaked in value (or are close enough: Morris Mohr Porplyzia Milera.
    Players who still yet to peak in value: Horsley JamesMc DSmith Treloar TAdams Dempsey.
    Benchwarmers: Spurr Ellis Redden Stephenson

You will need to work out who to up/downgrade. In the long run I would leave Ellis/Spurr, and make four downgrades (2 mids/2 fwds) to obtain the most cash available for your upgrades. This will allow you to make the 7/8 upgrades. You will be left with three trades for injuries

I've also noticed that your backline is going to have quite a few bye affected donuts come round 13. Not sure what your bye strategy is, but thought it was noteworthy

10. KTBFFH

KTBFFH New Member

<blockquote>Quote from ThumbsDownBandit on May 22, 2012, 17:00
    Any suggestions on what I should do to handle the byes?
    14 trades left, &#36;300

Deledio, Goddard, Broughton, Shaw, Lake, Heppell, Clarke (Ellis, Guthrie)

Ablett, Mitchell, Selwood, Watson, Sidebottom, Horsley (Mcdonald, Miles)

Dangerfield, Franklin, Cloke, Darling, Jack Riewoldt, Porps, Treloar (Devon Smith, Adams T)

Thinking Smith to Zorko this week.
    And maybe bringing Sidebottom to forwards so I can bring Pendles in mids in the coming rounds?
    Good idea?
    Thanks
    </blockquote>

This team is quite solid. With the cash cows and 14 trades left, every upgrade you make from here on should be nothing but elite players (Pendlebury etc)

Your keepers

DEF: Deledio Goddard Broughton Shaw Heppell x x
    MID: Ablett Mitchell Selwood Watson Sidebottom x
    RUC: Kreuzer x
    FWD: Dangerfield Franklin Cloke (Darling JRiewoldt) x x

7 upgrades required (9 if you want to upgrade Darling or JRiewoldt). You could also keep Lake and Giles if need be. For the long run, like Fitzy, I would keep your two benched defenders, downgrade 2 mids/2 fwds and make the upgrades as required.
    Most of your best players have their bye in round 12

Devon Smith should go up another &#36;50k, Porplyzia will go up about &#36;20-25k. If you feel like you need to make the Sidey/Zorko trade go for it, but your team is good enough to save the trades let your cows moo a bit more then make the changes.

11. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on May 22, 2012, 17:42
    Darley is coming on board a few weeks too soon for my liking.
    I'd have loved to downgrade Marty Clarke or Morris/Ellis into Darley at Round 12. Doing it beforehand means that I need to tiptoe more than I'd like with regards the R11 byes.

I could downgrade Mohr of course, but he was going to be my dependable D8 for the remainder of the year.</blockquote>

Listen out for word on Miles next week from GWS - AFL has him at 2 weeks from playing but defo a downgrade target who will at the very least be playing games after their bye.

12. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Looks to me that D.Smith peaks pretty much after this week or maybe after R10.

For what it's worth, I have had miles from the start. :-( Not thrilled, but only wanted to make so many correction trades. Got my fingers crossed he will get a run soon.

My 2 cents, YMMV

13. traviso

traviso Active Member

@KTBFFH Kruezer? really not proven just loads of promise. Giles is out scoring him and much more consistent this year. the 1-0-3 RUC was the right choice this year if you had giles and a premium that didn't get injured (Cox or possible maric but that would have been 0-1-3)

14. ANTMAN

ANTMAN New Member

I would go milera or murphy to zorko then either morris or mohr up to a fremantle defender broughton duffman or johnson

15. KTBFFH

KTBFFH New Member

<blockquote>Quote from traviso on May 25, 2012, 17:32
    @KTBFFH Kruezer? really not proven just loads of promise. Giles is out scoring him and much more consistent this year. the 1-0-3 RUC was the right choice this year if you had giles and a premium that didn't get injured (Cox or possible maric but that would have been 0-1-3)</blockquote>

Kreuzer hasn't quite worked out this year, so far. But if you took him as your 'premium', and you are starting to run out of trades you might have to stick with him. An average of 89 among the rucks isn't too bad, but when Sandilands and Cox are available it looks rather average

I think by the end of the year he will have a higher average than Giles. I know I would rather have Kreuzer for the SC finals as Carlton try to consolidate a good ladder position, rather than Giles who could be rested as GWS tinker with their selections.

It will be interesting to see how they use Kreuzer. I wonder why Carlton don't use him as a permanent fwd, and have Hampson and Warnock share the ruckwork?