$500k FWD battle

Discussion in 'AFL' started by hplate, May 30, 2012.

1. hplate

hplate New Member

Trading in one of the following this week but not sure which to pick, so bringing it forth to the masses to get some opinions!

A) Chapman $527.6k, averaging 103 with a breakeven of 91. Do you think his price will increase much before the cats bye is done? This year he hasn't looked like the ballistic Chapman of old but still capable of putting up the SC tonnes.

B) Stevie J $507.8k, average 90 breakeven 91. People seem to be unanimous in thinking his price is on the fast track skywards after his game against the doggies. Was in the process of bringing him in when I decided to look around at others around the same $$, which caused this forum post of frustrating indecision.

C) A.Walker $428k, averaging 88 breakeven 83. Any Carlton fans think this guy could have a big 2nd half? Small forwards seem to be dominating the SC points and this guy has tonne potential.

D) J.Lewis $472.4k, averaging 95 with a massive breakeven of 164. With that breakeven he could be a good buy in a few weeks, once the Hawks figure their problems out and start winning again!

E) R. OKeefe $481.3k, averaging 86 breakeven 50. Names been hovering for a while in posts. Not sure how Goodes coming back might affect him, if at all?

Beams and Sidebum are more expensive options but I think the above could represent better value. Thoughts?

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Can you afford to have 2 Cats in FWD? Chappy will be more consistent, but SJ will go huge on occasion, so depends if you are chasing overall or leagues. If leagues, would be tempted to go SJ. In terms of value or "being on the bubble", now is a good time to bring in ROK. Think his rising scores have more to do with increasing match fitness than Goodes' absence. Lewis will be very tasty in a week or two. Walker has too many bad days for mine and tends to go AWOL in losses. For pure FWD, NRoo better choice.

Might not be the best time to get them, but the current 'must haves' are Dangerfield and Sidebottom, with some opting for Beams as a POD.

3. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from TerryinBangkok on May 29, 2012, 18:00
    Might not be the best time to get them, but the current 'must haves' are Dangerfield and Sidebottom, with some opting for Beams as a POD. </blockquote>

Agreed, especially on Dangermouse.

Stevie J too hot and cold for mine... 65, 169, 105, 74, 146... man is all over the place.

No love for Cloke? If you are looking at Walker then surely Cloke must fit into the equation... the Pies are not done yet and 350 grand after the bye for a bloke playing crap and averaging 82 is not a bad look for mine.

4. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Still think if you are going to get Cloke u should get him this week. Plays GC (or is it GWS?) and Melbourne in next two weeks. Then Freo & WC after bye and gets bit tougher. You are realistically only going to save &#36;30K-&#36;40K by waiting a few weeks and if he is ever going to go big its next two weeks. Need to weigh up if you want points or save &#36;&#36;&#36;&#36;

5. bfish

bfish New Member

Mitch Robinson? In the same price range as those mentioned and Ratten has said ( and delivered ) that he will be the one covering Murphy in the midfield. Had a look in the Prospectus today and his CP sits at around 40&#37; over the last few years, which always help SC scores. There has been a knock on his disposal in the past, but even this appears to be improving.

6. hplate

hplate New Member

Should've mentioned I'm going for leagues. Already got Nroo and cloke. Been happy with roo, not so much cloke! If he pulls this thumb out and produces like he did in the back half of last year though...

Yeah well spotted bfish, Mitch Robinson could be goer. Probably a better bet than walker anyway.

7. donatello

donatello New Member

If you want a fwd this week I would go with Chapman, if you are willing to wait a few weeks I'd go Lewis. The hawks have to start playing good footy some time soon.

8. Tango

Tango New Member

You should also give Roughy some consideration. He's playing fairly well in the ruck and is pretty consistent with a high of 121 and low of 88 this season. Not likely to punch out a monster score, but if he continues to play ruck, you're fairly safe in the knowledge he won't have a stinker either. Could also provide you with some flexibility through the bye rounds if you decide to trade in someone like Pattison for the R/F link.

With Collingwood's next 2 opponents being GC and Melbourne, I would look at getting Beams for &#36;547k if you can afford him, since you don't have Sidebum already.

9. obleex

obleex New Member

Who's the best option under 500k? Any Blues fans know how likely Robinson is to keep his spot in the middle?

10. tmq

tmq New Member

great thread topic... was contemplating the same dilemma as upgrade for kennedy.

a couple of thoughts, Stevie J is obviously inconsistent, and has been getting midfield time in the absence of sellwood/bartel/kelly over the last three or four weeks. could be less now?

J Lewis, well i nearly got him in last week. Hawks are still my tip for the flag, have an easy draw in the back half, so he's one of my front runners.

Mitch robinson is a good suggestion. will have a look at the blues draw.

And ponder further.

11. Corks

Corks Member

<blockquote>Quote from Bandit on May 29, 2012, 18:47

No love for Cloke? If you are looking at Walker then surely Cloke must fit into the equation... the Pies are not done yet and 350 grand after the bye for a bloke playing crap and averaging 82 is not a bad look for mine.</blockquote>

Bandit - I have no love for Cloke. I traded him in for Fyfe. Sidebottom was the same price. So was Beams. Zaha was &#36;50k cheaper. In the three weeks since Cloke has cost me 332 points (vs Sidebottom, my 2nd choice), 4 league games, 2 bottles of scotch and half the hair on my head.

Don't touch Cloke till after he scores...he's rubbish ATM. 4 touches last week is not out of form: its Corey McKernan.

Get Sidebottom (he says, smashing himself in the side of his head), he's the real deal and could keep a 110+ ppg average up for the rest of the year.

12. tmq

tmq New Member

Cloke about to sign with the pies (according to the footy show)... will this get him back scoring? I think not, think its been more to do with game plan/style, and thats not going to change.

Pies do have a tough last half of season also.

13. hplate

hplate New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Corks on May 31, 2012, 21:34

Bandit - I have no love for Cloke. I traded him in for Fyfe. Sidebottom was the same price. So was Beams. Zaha was &#36;50k cheaper. In the three weeks since Cloke has cost me 332 points (vs Sidebottom, my 2nd choice), 4 league games, 2 bottles of scotch and half the hair on my head.

Don't touch Cloke till after he scores...he's rubbish ATM. 4 touches last week is not out of form: its Corey McKernan.

Get Sidebottom (he says, smashing himself in the side of his head), he's the real deal and could keep a 110+ ppg average up for the rest of the year.</blockquote>

Comiserations Corks, definitely picked the short straw on that one. Hate to say it but that pick almost deserves to go into the worst trades of the year thread :?

I've had the big fwds in from the start (cloke, riewoldt, franklin) and have had a bit of buyers (drafters?) remorse. Other than N.Roo the small fwds have had better luck with the SC gods in terms of bang for your buck. The likes of Dahlhaus, Christensen, Beams, Sidebum, Lewis have all been better than the big marking units.

If you don't have Sidebum now I think you've missed the boat. IMO he's pretty much at his peak at &#36;600k. Surely can't rise too much more than that?

14. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Corks on May 31, 2012, 21:34
    <blockquote>Quote from Bandit on May 29, 2012, 18:47

No love for Cloke? If you are looking at Walker then surely Cloke must fit into the equation... the Pies are not done yet and 350 grand after the bye for a bloke playing crap and averaging 82 is not a bad look for mine.</blockquote>

Get Sidebottom (he says, smashing himself in the side of his head), he's the real deal and could keep a 110+ ppg average up for the rest of the year.</blockquote>

Never said I liked him... just said if you are looking at Walker then you should consider Cloke, both are equally cursed in my opinion!