Defense Upgrades

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Corks, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Corks

Corks Member

Searching the dross for some upgrade material in the back half. Looking forward to Carazzo's return (+ 2 weeks for his price to dump) but not much else looking tempting.

Troy Chaplin caught my eye on the weekend, is he worth getting in as an upgrade for the Mohr / Morris D6 / D7 for second half of the year?

Suckling's numbers appear way off last year - any chance he'll recover?

How about names like Johnson, Birchell and Hurn? Any love out there?

2. Willys_Guns

Willys_Guns New Member

Looking for some help, what has happened to Paul Puopolo after last year.Good or bad trade??
    Any commets appreciated

3. FyfeforBrownlow

FyfeforBrownlow New Member

I've been very impressed with Michael Johnson this year. He's been consistent this year, scoring 90 or more in every game but one, and seems to accumulate easy marks and kicks in Freo's backline. He seems to be one of the few players who have benefited from Lyon's gameplan. He's shown a capacity in the past for huge scores, but was terribly inconsistent. I think that was a product of him playing forward, but now he's found his best position.

I think Hurn (Rd 11), Johnson (Rd 12), and Birchall (Rd 13) are all good options depending on your bye structure. West Coast has the toughest finals run. Johnson gives you trading flexibility with his dual position status. Birchall has the best SC pedigree. I'd lean slightly toward Birchall, but the other two should finish the year in the top 10 defenders as well. I don't trust Chaplin: he doesn't get enough of the footy, so he depends on excellent disposal. He is a great POD though.

4. gogonz

gogonz New Member

Surely Waters over Hurn? Waters looks to be spending more time in the mids this year and is racking up the points. Myself, I'm eying up Enright.... Looks to be back in form after an ordinary start to the season. $466k and ain't getting any cheaper. R12 bye but should be good after that.

5. Corks

Corks Member

The worry with Enright is he's always about the first player rested. Come SC finals you're almost sure of him missing a game if the cats are safe in the 8.

6. silacious

silacious New Member

Johnson looks good, gets alot of the ball in their defencive game

7. Spionkop

Spionkop New Member

Any thoughts on Grima from NM?

8. wombat

wombat New Member

Corks is right, although I don't think we'll be entrenched far enough up the ladder to rest too many in the run home this year (GWS type games aside).

9. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

M. Johnson is looking like the Dockers version of Sam Fisher. Good size, mobile, can take a grab and has pretty good foot disposal skills.

my 2 cents, YMMV etc

10. Hellraisers

Hellraisers New Member

<blockquote>Quote from gogonz on June 5, 2012, 12:39
    Surely Waters over Hurn? Waters looks to be spending more time in the mids this year and is racking up the points.</blockquote>

When the bastard isn't suspended or injured, sure.

11. jibba

jibba Member

I think in defence this year, you should be spending the least amount of money as possible as the scoring potential just isn't there.
    Therefore I'd say Newman would be the best option. Clearly underpriced, and will get you the 80-100 you need every week.
    The 'gun' options at the moment are injured or suspended (Scotland, Waters, Shaw (??), Enright (??))
    Newman's a great pick in my opinion :)

12. bfish

bfish New Member

Houli? Averaged 90 last year and started this year OK. Scoring has dropped off over the last few though.

13. Chicko

Chicko New Member

I've got Suckling and he has done as his name suggests since I "upgraded" into him. I'm with jibba - save the pennies for the mids and fwds.