Possible Round 12 Nominated Rookie Upgrades

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Jun 5, 2012.

1. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

As part of AFL rules Round 12 marks the time all AFL clubs can promote a nominated rookie without placing anyone on Long Term Injury List. This should hopefully see some more much needed downgrade targets for us Supercoachers.

Im going to try come up with list of possible players below, but if you get along to lower leagues then feel free to post your thoughts on player that might get promoted.

StKilda

Jackson Ferguson - Ave: 14.25 disposals, 4.87 marks & 1.75 tackles - Key defender from NSW Scholarship List. Probably not fantasy relevant but has impressed this year and given Saints lack of key talls down back looks likely.

Tom Curren - Ave: 18.38 disposals, 5.37 marks, 1.24 tackles - Has been impressive this season really lifting his game to another level. Given Saints depth in midfield not sure he will one to get promoted, especially given Tom Ledger cant break into side.

Sam Dunnell - Ave: 13.74 disposals, 5.50 marks, 1.75 tackles & 1.5 goals. Has probably been the pick of the rookies so far for Saints but given Saints forward at moment might find it hard to break into. Is mature aged (22) and has nice pair hands and knows where the goals are. Has kicked 12 goals this season and kicked further 7 in couple of clubs practice matches in preseason.

Daniel Archer - Ave: 9.43 disposals, 3.29 marks, 1.2 tackle & 2 goals - Only reason he'd get promoted is if McEvoy/Stanley are further away then club is saying. Has kicked 19 goals this season though, but doesnt do enough around ground and really doesnt play as ruckman (total 3 hitouts for year)

Basically i think it would go Ferguson, Dunnell, Curren, Archer. Other option is Warrick Andreoli but he's in same boat as Curren. Sandringhams awesome form and rise up ladder has really helped Saints rookies take next level this year.

OTHER CLUBS
    Geelong - Jonathon Simpkin
    North - Sam Gibson

Will have bit look into other clubs throughout the day

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Not sure about the Pies.

Seamus McNamara would be doubtful given there is Jolly-Wood-Ceglar-Witts ahead of him.

Hartley is highly rated, even some suggest he could get a return game against Patton in the game v GWS. But you'd have thought he would have already been elevated if he was going to get a game given the issues with Brown/Reid/Tarrant/Keeffe etc.

Cribbin hasn't shown much. I haven't heard much about Farmer and Smith so I'd probably say no to them.

For mine it's out of Stubbs who has slowly started showing something in the magoos, and Caolan Mooney who is an absolute jet athlete with pace to burn, but not much footy awareness being his first year over from Ireland.

Mooney's the quickest AFL player over 20m, not sure about his tank for repeat efforts, but you could see him filling in a few games here and there for guys like Sinclair to take a breather.

3. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

The Tigers don't have any rookies that are really demanding a spot in their list.

Ben Darrou has been decent in the VFL for a tall-ish (190cm) backman. He looks not too bad as an intercept mark.

The only other possibility is Piva Wright who is another defender.

Overall, the Tigers don't really need to upgrade anyone at the moment

4. wombat

wombat New Member

Simpkin already came up once before and only had to go back down because Menzel returned, so he will come straight back up (either for Menzel himself or as the nominated rookie).

Josh Walker has also been kicking goals in the vfl and is a chance although it's harder for him to get in given he is a tall.

Hoping Gibson gets the nod for North, he could be one to look out for.

Essendon's a hard side to break into at the moment but it would be good if Baguley can get a look in, can play and is DPP too.

5. pollypies

pollypies Member

Too bad Kris Pendlebury isn't a rookie. I have no doubt he would slot straight into the backline of an AFL team and he would be the first player I would pick. Plenty of other good players in the VFL like Sewell and Valenti who would make an impact too. Hopefully, they continue to look at the idea of a mid season draft.

I agree with Lucas, Mooney is the most likely from the Pies. A great athlete and I have already heard Buckley say him and Witts are being considered for a game or two at some stage this season. Can't see him having too much of an impact though.

6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

would think that if Sydney have a spare spot, they would probably promote Cunnington as he was only just recently put back on rookie list because of the player he was replacing coming back from injury.

7. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

West coast - Brad dick is back from injury playing in the Wafl saw him on the news saying he will hopefully push for selection once match fit ! Could be a wild card , he can score well but is made of broom sticks and sticky tape

8. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

The AFL's mid-season nominated rookie rule stipulates a player can be elevated to the senior list after round 11 if the club's total player payments allow it.

It means rookies can be elevated to play senior football regardless of whether they have a teammate on the long-term injury list.

Clubs have until 2pm on the Tuesday after round 22 to promote a player.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=138301&utm_medium=RSS