How many disgusting, repulsive, abominable donuts will you have this weekend at your Donut Factory?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Gonaddz, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

I'm up to 6 thanks to 2 injuries, 1 rest, and Lyon the f'wit dropping 1 of his best players. Looking at possible trade juggles, Horse was goin in 2 weeks anyway.

2. Tango

Tango New Member

I set myself up for 2 this round, but guaranteed at least 7. I don't see much point in trading this round as it is just moving donuts between rounds. However I want to use 3 trades for Round 12 to ease some of the donut pain, but I find there are issues with many of the SC relevant Round 11 bye players it's not funny:

Dangermouse: Top of his price cycle. Might be better value elsewhere.
    Rocklobster: Form has been average of late and has a high breakeven coming out of the bye.
    Waters: Suspended for Round 12
    Priddis: Great value given his scoring history, but scoring this season (bar his last round 133) has only been so-so for a keeper mid.

None are shocking picks, but all come with a * in my opinion. Or do you intead wait a week til round 13, where there are more viable picks to choose from?

3. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

I think Priddis is a must at the price and Sammy Shaw is gonna be a very popular downgrade if named.

4. spud

spud New Member

I'll be eatin' more donuts than a senior cop on overnight office duty

5. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

2 for me, coz of pendles and smedts,
    could trade out of them but no point simply saving them for later,
    seems wasteful trading in anyone about to have a week off.

Best to cop whatever's been served here & trade hard for rounds 12 & 13.
    Round 12, out 3 x round 12'ers & in 3 x round 11'ers,
    Round 13, out 3 x round 13'ers & in 3 x round 12'ers (or 11's)
    Reduces donuts & gets upgrades done at the same time over those last 2 bye rounds,
    two birds..

6. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

7. G-Train

G-Train Member

4 - the plan was one but Spurr, Shaw and Smedts aren't playing.

8. dj62

dj62 New Member

3 on field donuts in DT...but have traded. Gotta keep going in the elimination rounds!! The bye's are going to sort a few out and just gotta get through to get to the last 1000 odd. Opponent (who is ranked much higher than me) will have 4 to 5 on field. Will need luck from then on.

9. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Just as a general point (and I've got 6 doughnuts I think after planning for 3) I think, as per the TS Extra that arrived in our in boxes last night or this morning, that this sort of thing can't continue.

I tend to agree with Walesy - after seeing what has happened this year with bye rounds already (and we haven't even played one yet) I think it will become clear to those that run SC that there needs to be something done to put a cap on the Homer Simpson-eating doughnuts.

Not at all saying that it is the easy way out, nor having a whinge that the doughnuts are happening. But I just feel that if we here at TS are feeling the pain, then the average punter/player is going to look at their team and almost throw up their hands ... and then do so again twice more.

And if people lose interest in their team/the game in the second half of the season, there will be a percentage lost to the game full stop - something News Limited, Virtual Sports, etc, don't want.

I don't know what the remedy is, but I reckon Walesy might be right with what he said in TS Extra - that something will be done to address the problem next year (and extra trades don't really address the problem I'm afraid).

Whether we actually agree with any action that will be taken ... well, that's another thing entirely I guess!!

10. pollypies

pollypies Member

6 on field donuts when you add 4 injured players, who's teams do not have the bye.

11. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

6 for me. Injured players hurt more than bye players as they will miss more due to the injury and forthcoming bye. Pendles, Shaw, Scotland hurt the most. Horsely isn't convenient. Considering there will be bench players on the field, there will some disgusting scores coming up!

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty certain that the issue will be sorted by the AFL - I hear they are looking to have 2 byes per team next year.

This could mean:
    - Byes are able to be well spread out with a system of 18 rounds where 2 teams have a bye over a 24 round season, or something similar. You won't have big blocks of teams missing like this - because the broadcasters bleed.

It's a disaster for C7 over these 3 weeks.
    - No Sunday footy at all this weekend, and only one Saturday game (night) though thank goodness no bloody #rompingwins and #thankskirky show for all 3 weeks - small mercies. Monday could be a disastrous spectacle.
    - Next week I hope C7 gets value on Thursday night, because there is NO footy on FTA on Saturday or Sunday. Gillon will get a blast from C7 over this schedule, and so he should. Ridiculous Thursday footy. Then again the Fox games on Sat-Sun are all chaff.
    - The following week is a little better balanced, one game each day, and the delightful Melb GWS blockbuster on Sunday arvo.

Once we've got out of the habit of watching footy on weekends I guess we'll just move to the Olympics a few weeks later and C7 will lose lots of momentum.

Oh yeah, and I've got 5 donuts this week if I don't trade. I'm thinking 8 donuts for all bye weekends with 3 enforced upgrades and one measured downgrade. Will leave me with a near fully upgraded team and around 8-10 trades for the rest of the year when the General strikes. I reckon I'd probably cost myself 350 points on the leaders through this strategy but I can't see a great alternative. (My plan was to have 3 donuts and one less trade but injuries have smacked me around)

Finally I think the difficulty of SC is a good thing, it means you need to do your best and if you have a tough situation, swallow a spoonful of concrete and harden up.

Today's donut might be tomorrow's 150.

13. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from chris88 on June 8, 2012, 09:17
    Just as a general point (and I've got 6 doughnuts I think after planning for 3) I think, as per the TS Extra that arrived in our in boxes last night or this morning, that this sort of thing can't continue.
    </blockquote>

NRL Supercoach has been putting up with this for years. All the best players take byes to play State of Origin and yet the game of Supercoach doesn't suffer. It's just a matter of getting used to it and forming new strategies.

14. Corks

Corks Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on June 8, 2012, 10:10
    Finally I think the difficulty of SC is a good thing, it means you need to do your best and if you have a tough situation, swallow a spoonful of concrete and harden up.

Today's donut might be tomorrow's 150.</blockquote>

lol +1

Love the sentiment (despite munching on 7 iced-covered jam filled specials myself). Ditching Scotland / Pendlebury / Shaw / Horsely this week in order to cover a donut will be League suicide in the second half of the year. Hope everyone in my leagues trades 3 this week, 3 next week and 3 the week after to get wins on the board while I consign myself to three losses. Can't wait till I take them on in finals with trades in my pocket and well-rested premiums across the park.

15. chris88

Lucas and Swert - agree wholeheartedly with what you say. Like I said, not having a whinge at all in regards to the doughnuts I'm copping.

But there are other factors that drive this game - money, advertising, click-throughs, page views, more money, etc. Looking at how a percentage of disinterested or disgruntled players could impact on bottom lines and that type of thing, I have a feeling that action may be taken for the 2013 season.

I don't mind the difficulty, but we here at TS are a sub-section of a wider audience - an audience more casual in its pursuit of SC and who often play it for fun as part of a league with mates.

And if that type of audience loses a bit of interest, and the bottom line has the potential to be impacted on, then something will give.

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Mate the fact that a large number of players are managing a multiple of teams, and the others are either social players having a hit and giggle for a league win - occasionally not updating teams, copping a loss or two, whatever players, or fairly competitive who would play regardless.

I reckon there's about 30000 people who actually give a stuff, maybe less, maybe even as low as 15000 once you take into account the multiple teams for parents, grandparents, girlfriends, sisters, brothers and a few more IPs.

The click throughs will hardly change because most of them will give a stuff next year because the prizes will still be good, and they will continue to spread their risk over multiple teams.

Corks I reckon Horsley is an interesting one. If you have decided firmly to keep him as your M7 then you should keep but otherwise he needs to go this week, because his usefulness as a cow is fast approaching abattoir status.

Chris - we have to wait until the fixture is announced to work out how this whole thing will go. Anything else is conceptual but in the end useless speculation

17. chris88

Fair points Lucas. Guess I'm just saying that the minute there's any hint of attitude change or loss of interest, those making money off of SC will be concerned.

And the mooted changes to next year's fixture might just render the whole thing, well, moot, anyway!

18. chris88

And Corks - ditto on Horsley with Lucas - I've sent him off to the slaughter house this week and brought in a premium Mid

19. Corks

Corks Member

<blockquote>Quote from chris88 on June 8, 2012, 10:49
    And Corks - ditto on Horsley with Lucas - I've sent him off to the slaughter house this week and brought in a premium Mid</blockquote>

Horsely as an upgrade makes sense, but as a downgrade to Williams (only real option this week) doesn't. He has 2-3 more games of growth in him so I'd rather hang on till there is a good downgrade option with some sort of JS rather than clogging my bench with players we'll likely not see again this year. For me, The Horse will be part of a double trade to Scotty Thompson in R13 when Thompson will be circa &#36;550k and his bye is done. Trading him to Williams for one week bye coverage - assuming Williams even plays on Monday - isn't worth it.

20. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on June 8, 2012, 10:41
    I reckon there's about 30000 people who actually give a stuff, maybe less, maybe even as low as 15000 once you take into account the multiple teams for parents, grandparents, girlfriends, sisters, brothers and a few more IPs.</blockquote>

And yet I'm ranked outside the top 20,000 ouch! Stupid Brent Harvey and Christensen over Dangerfield and Sidebottom.