Downgrade options...?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by tmq, Jun 22, 2012.

1. tmq

tmq New Member

Thought a collective thread for some of the options to fill the bench into the home stretch.

Crozier is an option for those not too jilted by Lyon.

Gibson seems a likely midfield move.

Patton will have good JS, though costs a bit more.

Elliot/Williams from the pies... i can't decide which is more likely to hold their spot, and in fact i don't think either will when(if!) the pies get some players back.

Just to get things rolling...

2. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Darley & Edwards maybe added to the mix of potentials?

3. hplate

hplate New Member

This week might be the last chance to downgrade to Darley? He's at 184K now and next week he looks to jump above 200K.

4. stickman

stickman New Member

Consider Hine from Suns

5. grav

grav Guest

Dell'Olio on bubble, though not expecting huge price rise
    JS a concern so could hold fire for another week and see if gets more than a fleeting glimpse

6. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Hine has the bye this round,
    keeping an eye on him though,
    might be the last 113k defense downgrade going this season

7. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Dell'Olio will be the sub since Reimers is named on field.

I got Darley in for Clarke a few weeks ago and he has been steady...nothing special though

Hopefully Doherty (incorrect spelling I know) from the Lions gets a game soon. Anybody with any info on him?

Gibson looks the most likely downgrade at this stage, keep an eye on Tom Campbell also! Only problem with him is that you will only make 100k from Redden/BigO.

The two Pies, Elliot and Williams, will not feature towards the end of the season if the Pies' injury list thins out.

I wouldn't be picking them up if you want them to provide emergency cover later in the season. Once the season starts to wind down, Collingwood and the other top teams will be trying to get continuity into their best 22 (apart from the actual last round - See 'the general') so most first year players will not get a game unless they are absolutely killing it and deserve a place in the best 22. Unlikely on most accounts.

8. tmq

tmq New Member

Tom Campbell will only be a one weeker won't he, replacing Minson?

9. jaredal

jaredal New Member

I've been keeping an eye out for a good downgrade option, but after being burnt for coverage late last season when some of my downgrades ended up with poor JS, I'm more hesitant this year.

I'd been keeping an eye out for Sam Gibson - but after seeing what has happened his first two games, coinciding with almost all of NM's other young midfielder's hitting a rich vein of form I can't see him lasting more than maybe one more game - at the least the risk is too great for me!

This has me looking around. Only Tom Campbell mentioned above really interests me - although having not seen him play this weekend past I'm not sure if he would be complementary to Will Minson or if these two will be seen as substitutes for each other?

Another I've been keeping tabs on since pre-season, Anthony Miles - he must be ready to go this round or next? Anyone got any news on him? I suspect if he gets fit his JS will be better than Gibson?

Also anyone know if and when we are likely to see Couch or Mitchell?

10. Tanksforscully

Tanksforscully New Member

Think it will now be getting harder for Couch to get any extended game time in the seniors. Apparently didn't set the world on fire in the 2nds on the weekend (although he did kick the winning goal) and for mind he is competing directly with Moloney / Jones / Magner. Melbourne's midfield needs more pace - suspect Couch will only get a run if there are injuries / players rested.

With Gysberts / Strauss coming back from injuries and starting to find some form in the 2nds then suspect they will be ahead of Couch at this stage given the diversity they offer relative to Moloney / Jones / Magner.

11. GrannyBoy

GrannyBoy New Member

Miles is on the injury list still, a couple of weeks i think, definitely one to look for when he comes back. Isn't Couch still on the rookie list? I thought he and Magner were fighting for the same spot preseason.
    Playing rooks will be very hard to come by since GC and GWS have gobbled them all up and used most of them already while most coaches could only take advantage of a few them at the start of the season. I'd say if any come through now and you need $ jump on them as very few will filter in late in the season.
    I think Gibson should do ok still, pretty sure he won a b&f with the Box Hill Hawks last year and was our captain averaging 28 possessions. When he gets goin he's a magnet.

12. Kel

Kel Moderator

Docherty has played about 6 games for the Lions Reserves after a pre season injury. Got a couple of good write ups in the match reviews over the last few weeks but wasn't mentioned in the big win on the weekend. Would have to be close but the Lions look pretty settled at the moment so would likely have to rely on injury/rotation to get a call up.

13. don

don New Member

For what it's worth the HS today wrote about Tom Mitchell "Coach John Longmire last week said the young gun returning from knee tendonitis was regaining match fitness in the twos before a run at the top level"