How about buying trades???

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Manikato1, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Manikato1

Manikato1 New Member

Anyone got any thoughts about introducing a rule next year that allows you to be able to buy trades? Leagues and overall are so different in strategy. Overall coaches use more trades early so buying extra trades would probably help. And if you buy one you can use it any time ie on top of the normal two trades per round. Helps avoid burning trades to patch up the team during bye rounds.

2. gogonz

gogonz New Member

Is it that time of the year for this thread already?

3. Stampede

Stampede Member

@Manikato - do you mean buy as in using real money or SC money....? Certainly couldn't agree if it was real money, and if it's SC money well I sorta see your point but if you've got that much cash to splash (they'd have to cost several hundred k each) surely that means you could've not done a few downgrades and saved the trades.

@gogonz - LOL. You think that's bad. I reached the point a few weeks ago when it suddenly flashes into your mind mid-round that you should be able to trade in a player at last week's price if you really really thought about it but didn't.

4. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

A stampede is more powerful than a single horse

5. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Shouldn't be able to buy trades with real money, would make it unfair, and less fun and more competition. Huge disagree.

6. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

<blockquote>Quote from Fitzy on June 28, 2012, 11:02
    Shouldn't be able to buy trades with real money, would make it unfair, and less fun and more competition. Huge disagree.</blockquote>

Agree! Not everyone is made up of sweet sweet moolah!

7. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Pretty sure Manikato means using our salary cap money, not real cash.
    It'd add an interesting twist,
    but I can't see them adding any feature that the serious players would love & the regulars would be left confused.

8. huvaduva

huvaduva New Member

I assumed Manikato1 meant SC money. It would certainly make it very interesting if you could, depending on how much a trade costs. If it were too expensive there would be no incentive to waste a trade by downgrading in order to regain that trade. However, if it were only 100k or something I could see the incentive to stockpile a bit of cash towards the end of the year in order to cover an injured prem. If your team is stacked with prems and you've run out of trades by getting to that point, but you've also kept some cash you could then buy a trade to straight swap an injured prem...
    What would be super interesting (and really complicated to implement!) would be a market for trades where the price would change based on supply/demand (perhaps just in your leagues, rather than across the whole competition). I could envisage trades costing nothing much at the start of the season, but then quite a lot at the end of the season. Then, depending on your tactics you could buy early and gain the trades or sell later to gain the cash... Gah, I'm thinking about this too much! Back to work!

9. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I've always thought it would be an interesting idea to allow the buying of trades.

The big question is- where do you price them? You're expected to make what, &#36;250k from them, so would that be a decent starting price? Would you want a premium on them? Or maybe &#36;200k to encourage it a little?

10. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

I have a cow that has fattened (300k+), going to trade him for a cow on the bubble(110k ish), use money gained to buy trade back.

11. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

I don't think that we should be able "buy" trades. The fun of the game is to try and strategically use our trades in order to get the best we can out of teams. Maybe if more byes come in next year, we should get more trades but we all need to have the same amount of trades to keep the challenge in the game.

12. yumcha

yumcha Member

we should follow the Fantasy EPL and "buy" trades using the points accumulated thus far (team points).

13. shortsandahoody

shortsandahoody New Member

A trade would have to be at least worth 100k, i would assume like Walesy a fair price would be 200k, If an extra trade costs 200k, it really would only be used for one purpose which would be too downgrade an injured player to avoid 0's....

14. yumcha

yumcha Member

finding a monetary value for a trade is going to be subjective. A Pandora's Box i reckon. Some would say 200k, some would say 100k, 300k, etc ...

Just say one trade = 100 points, i reckon.

15. huvaduva

huvaduva New Member

@yumcha I like the idea of points, not sure how many though. I think it would make the race for the overall really interesting. Just imagine someone like Gaz getting injured towards the end of the year. There would be some that would just use bench coverage and then others that would burn the 100 points in order to straight-swap for another prem... It's possible those that burn the 100 points might outscore the non-traders if their prem can outscore a late season rookie by more than 100 (over a few rounds)...

16. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

I reckon it would be really interesting if you could only purchase additional trades only out of the original 10M salary cap before R1, Adds the gamble of will I need them at finals time, and if so how many, or do I get that extra prem from R1?

17. Stampede

Stampede Member

<blockquote>Quote from 22nd_best_on_Field on June 28, 2012, 23:26
    I reckon it would be really interesting if you could only purchase additional trades only out of the original 10M salary cap before R1, Adds the gamble of will I need them at finals time, and if so how many, or do I get that extra prem from R1?</blockquote>

Now that's an idea I'd have some interest in. Would be one way of introducing some variation into the game - massive tactical decision to be made right from the start which would see a greater percentage of players becoming viable picks. Eg, you could either start with 24 trades and 10M or 30 trades and 9M - if 30 trades you can take a lot more risks on speculative rookies or midpricers and sideways them out if it doesn't work, or your theory might be that you can see a number of premiums who'll start slowly so you take the risk that you hang on in early rounds then pick them up after a dip in price a la Buddy this year.

Personally, I've had a few years where the players I wanted to start with didn't use up all my cash and I basically picked better players who I thought were less value, so would've been nice to have the option of sticking with the value and having more trades.

18. crew

crew New Member

Another angle:
    Last year example as it happened in our league:
    Bloke trades like a mad man and gets his team full of premiums by about R13 with his last trade being in Heath Shaw :(. Supercoach season over regards a certain &#36;10. If you can use SC &#36; to buy a trade does Heaters 500K ? at the time count as 500K in the bank ?. Say you have 30K left in the bank then with Heaters 500K you have 530K a trade costs say 250K leaves you 280K to buy a late rookie ect. Not ideal but way ahead of a lock donut each week if your rookie coverage gets "Ross Lyoned".
    If you use overall points for extra trades then those with league only interests after say round 8 will trade like drunk Blue Chip traders.Same goes for team points re overall contenders. Real dollars out of the question IMO. But I do like 22nd's thoughts. Mind you the powers to be seem set to make it harder each season so guessing the extra trades will be as much chance as Fev lining up for the Doggies next season ?.