Should Cox be a R/F next year

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Yamumluvsbigcox, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

With natanui being the first choice ruck and cox probably spending more time in the Fwd line next year should he be a R/F . He has kicked 19 goals this season !

2. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

I'd like the Cox / Roughy switcheroo combo for sure :)

3. stowie

stowie Moderator

Would be nice, I'd like to see more players with multi positions. Thinking Vickery might a cheap R/F to pair him with.

4. bama

bama Active Member

Would be nice but no chance!

5. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Ryder wasn't made R/F this year. Seems like it's a complete lottery on who is given multi-positioning.

6. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Would be amazing, but strongly doubt it will happen. But hope so

7. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

It would be nice, I reckon anyone averaging more than a goal a game should be at least considered which Cox and Ryder fall under, but most likely the only one to get it will be Hampson who isn't fantasy relevant.

8. nawtay

nawtay New Member

It won't happen for the same reason that Barlow & Hayes didn't start cheaper this year. Everyone would jump on :(

9. gavnal

gavnal New Member

I agree with Jason, Ryder is the comparable one and he ain't this year.

10. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Cox is lining up at FF at the start of games these days - he has to be a forward next year, otherwise there is something seriously screwed-up with the system! He also rucks for half a game, so he's clearly a ruckman (and a damn good one at that), so once again, it'll be seriously screwed-up if he doesn't get given the MPP. Thats my 2 cents worth!

11. G-Train

G-Train Member

Here is little research I have done, obviously you can be in ruck and not get HO's, but I dont have anything better right now. gpg is goals per game, hopg is hit outs.

Jarryd Roughead - 2.2 gpg, 8.8 hopg
    Tippet - 2.1 gpg, 7.6 hopg
    M. Clark - 2.6 gpg, 3.7 hopg
    Kosi - 1.6, 4.8
    Cox - 1.4, 24.4
    Ryder - 1.1, 23.1
    Hale - 0.9, 22.1

Roughead was mpp this season, last year he averaged 1.4 goals and 7.6 ho's, less than this season. Ryder 1.2 goals and 14 hit outs last season, yet wasnt.

Personally I add Ryder/Cox/Roughie/Tippet as MPP's next season.

I would consider Dawes, as he is often in the ruck for Pies but only gets 0.5 gpg and only 4 hopg. I dont study all the game so I presume there are others like him that spend as much time in the ruck but just arent very good at it.

A case could be make that NicNat could become mpp as get almost a goal a game and 25 ho's, and rotates with Cox.

But where do we draw the line when rucks frequently rest up forward?

Its either none as mpp or about 5 or 6 or more.

12. BillyBass

BillyBass New Member

I remember reading somewhere that player positions are allocated on where on the ground they get their possessions. Thats why we saw a heap of m/f players added this year. I don't know the stats for Cox's possession breakdown, but I don't think it will happen because as philosoraptor has pointed out, that would mean a heap of other guys would qualify as well.

13. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

Cox said at the start of the season that he will be playing more fwd than in the ruck from now on to prolong his career . At the moment cox and nat do 50/50 rucking but cox rests in the goal square and nic nat on the bench . If he spends 50% in fwd line this year you would almost Have to give it to him

14. Ratmata

Ratmata Member

I asked the same about Swan last year.

15. GrannyBoy

GrannyBoy New Member

I've said for a few years now, to help fight against the dreaded doughnut, that I'd like to see a utility sub in the ruck that can sub ruck/forward/mid maybe even in defense too like so many actually do these days. It wouldn't matter so much about dpp's then.

16. 30BucketsofRo

30BucketsofRo New Member

I love the idea. If it were to materialise, I could imagine having Nic Nat and Cox in the ruck with Roughy in the forward line towards the latter part of the season. That would be brilliant!