Who should I keep?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by H_Dons, Jul 16, 2012.

1. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

After sailing through this season with only the Fyfe and Hmac bullets, and choosing to bench Gaz and Pendles, I have finally hit some bad luck (inevitable) and now have 3 premiums out for an extended period.

Waters, Ryder, Buddy.

Who should I keep?

Buddy is the most logical choice, Zorko provides great cover. But I want to keep at least one of the others.

Who would be the most reliable? I have 5 trades and 199k so I have room to move, just want to save my trades for finals, I'm locked in the 8 in all my leagues.

Some opinions would be great, I've heard Waters history is bad, but Ryder's injury worries me as Zaharakis has already had his recovery time extended and it is a similar injury I think. Only got Ryder in a few weeks ago!

2. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

Real tough one H_Dons....do you have defensive or ruck back-up? If so, I would look at shipping out Waters as he is more injury-prone and you can spend the money on getting a real quality defender. Ryder has the x-factor and should be back for finals time; Ryder has a fairly good run-home in the finals (Goldstein, Kruezer, Ivan, Jolly).

3. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Yeah that's a big problem, I have Redden and Big O as my ruck backup. Jacobs is my R1 so he is great just no cover. Defenders I've got S.Shaw and Darley, they are good cover just not finals cover. I can probably hold out on trading right until the eve of finals.

The Dons actually have one of, if not the toughest run home, but Ryder should ton up regardless if his season form is anything to go by. But I can just see his injury getting extended to 6 weeks like Zaharakis has.

Defence is my weakest line, with Lake and Dempsey my D6 D7. But I also have Broughton, and he might have to go if he gets dropped this week.

Just makes the decision harder! I'm hoping one of the two clubs this week just comes out and says that Ryder or Waters will be out for longer...but then that would be a club being honest about an injury...ha!

4. bama

bama Active Member

Dons, If you are safe in the top 8 I probably wouldn't trade yet and hold off until you cop a doughnut or it gets to finals time. You know if you trade out Waters he will be back before Ryder and visa-versa.

5. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Ryder's injury is a "calf" If so, they seem to take longer to heal, especially for those blokes who do ruck jobs, with all their jumping at stoppages.I also think that may be the problem with Giles too, or maybe he's just getting tired.
    I traded both Waters and Ryder out, and brought in Cox and Roughead, with Roughy in forwards but with Staley @ R4,and Reddan @R3, so I have cover for Cox and Giles. And if you're locked in your 8, I'd hang onto Franklin, drop the other 2, and keep 3 trades for final time injuries.My thoughts.

6. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

I think I'll most likely just hold fire, I've got quality bench cover except for rucks (redden and big O) so potentially will have to trade Ryder but hopefully not.

If I trade Ryder it will be for Cox, possibly Roughead but unlikely since Clarko will rest him in round 23 no doubt...

Hopefully Redden gets named or I hear more about Ryder's injury in the news.

3 trades is better than none come finals, but I'd prefer 5.

7. malbi

malbi Member

If I was you I would hold off trading for a week or two. You will have better information on the injuries then. You have good cover with Zorko, Shaw and Redden. You are safely in the top 8. Take a chill pill. :)

8. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

I just have a grudge match I want to win this week...I'm just going to hold out on the trades!

Waters is at a price that allows me to trade him to anyone I want when the time comes :)

9. swerva3

swerva3 New Member

@H_Dons

hopefully now waters is named youll breathe easier! although dont be surprised if he's a late withdrawal!

zaha has a quad/hip flexor a bit like goodes and they are far worse than calves so dont expect patty to sit out as long. hille had a similar thing earlier but not the age or quality of patty so took longer to get back.

redden out is a real baffler for me...what did he do wrong...not even an emergency??? hurts bench cover in the rucks...need him playing really.

10. NC1975

NC1975 New Member

Good little bit of advice over at www.aflaftermath.com.au

Their Round 17 podcast is up now.

Don't discount Mumford at some stage, too!

11. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

@swerva3

Yeah I am not expecting Waters to play...hopefully though! Broughton and S.Shaw out mean I get a donut if he's a late withdrawal.

Redden has given me a donut...I don't understand either. Looks like I lose my grudge match this week.

I posted on another thread about Paddy, he's due back round 19, just in time for finals.