who will be cheap next year?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by thegob, Aug 14, 2012.

1. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Sure did! Thanks Muppets...how could I forget him, 295k makes him a potential lock. Pending preseason of course.

Makes me wonder how many others I forgot. I did it quickly but thought I was pretty thorough.

2. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

I think that Hodge and Leuenberger will definitely be more expensive. I get that these are just estimates but I reckon Hodgey will be $400k+. If Gysberts and Embley are around $120k each everyone will have them!!!! That'd be phenomenal. Great job @thegob!!!

3. Stampede

Stampede Member

@H_Dons - nice work with those numbers! That list is certainly worth a look at.

I can't recall where I heard this or whether it's a figment of my imagination but does anyone know if players can be given a price increase if they would be so underpriced based on their actual average that everyone would have them? I thought that might have happened to Barlow or Hayes or someone this year... but that could be bollocks. Because Embley at $120k would be a complete lock for everyone and I don't think that's good for the game.

4. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

I think if the price is too low for a good player because they were injured and didn't average very much they give them a discount on the previous years average . Porplyzia averaged 13 from one game in 2011 but was not priced at that average . Embley has three more games to come but if he is still averaging 20 odd he will be bargin price but I highly doubt it
    One good game that average will blow out .

5. Stampede

Stampede Member

<blockquote>Quote from Yamumluvsbigcox on August 15, 2012, 01:30
    I think if the price is too low for a good player because they were injured and didn't average very much they give them a discount on the previous years average . Porplyzia averaged 13 from one game in 2011 but was not priced at that average . Embley has three more games to come but if he is still averaging 20 odd he will be bargin price but I highly doubt it
    One good game that average will blow out . </blockquote>

Ah yes, maybe I was thinking of Porplyzia. I knew there was someone who was priced more than their previous year's average but you're probably right that it's based on a discount from the year before rather than an increase on the previous year.

So with Embley you would assume he'll either get a discount on 2011 if he continues to average poorly this year, or he'll get his average up in the last three games and they'll go with that. Either way I can't see him being rookie-priced. He should be maybe &#36;450k.

6. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Cheers @Stampede, no worries!

Yeah definitely right about the increases, those numbers on the stats page are just indicative.

While they will be pretty spot on for players who don't play anymore games, the ones like Embley, Fyfe, Hodge, Gwilt etc will go up by a fair way.

Just have to hope players like Kennedy don't play again this year! Keep him in the magoos West Coast :)

7. grav

grav Guest

A couple more potentials to add to the list
    Rohan
    Staker
    Setanta
    Osborne
    Morris
    Gaaaaaaaaawn

8. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Yep definitely worthwhile additions, especially Rohan.

I could say a few of those are not 'noteable', but then I'd have to take Peake, Bateman, Van Berlo, and probably Prismall off my own list.

You never know what can happen over a preseason!

Looking forward to using this list and studying the players' progress over the summer break.

Hopefully some of those young guns will start looking like real bargains.

My hot tip is those Cats players could be all in my team, as the changing of the guard continues, they will get more responsibility.

9. TigersTooTough

Will be very interested to see how Varcoe is priced next year. Could be a steal. Also, with trade month coming up, it will be good to see who will move clubs for more opportunities. IMO David Ellard will be a good option next year. Only played 8 games this year but his average of 92 might mean his price won't move too much.

10. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

if gysberts, koby stevens, brent maloney left their clubs they'd be bargains, in the Brad Ebert mould.
    essendon and carlton players who've underachieved most of season cld have some value:
    Hurley, AWalker, even toothpick Garlett... Jordan "Kurt" Russell will surely be traded to Port and will get 22games running off the backline. used to be abt &#36;450grand.

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Luke Parker will be cheap due to injury games and coming back bit slow. Reckon he'll be about &#36;350K-&#36;400K and at moment looks lock. Kid is a gun.

12. 30BucketsofRo

30BucketsofRo New Member

Tommy Rockliff should be a brilliant pick up next season, around &#36;400K-460K. It would be nice if the Lions found a forward - playing Rocky forward has absolutely killed his fantasy football scores this season (still averaging 100 but very inconsistent this season). As shown by last year, he is capable of much much more and is an absolute gun with a very high score ceiling.

If Cloke can get some confidence back into his game during the preseason, he will be a pick-up as well. For his sake, I hope he can solve his contract problems.

Zaharakis could be in the same bracket as a Dangerfield, Beams or Sidebottom in terms of SC and DT breakouts next year. His price should continue to tumble this year, should be between &#36;420K-460K.

Any ideas on defenders?

13. Owen

Owen Well-Known Member

Rockliff will be more than 400K-460K - and he will most likely end up averaging over a 100 for the year, or thereabouts. Next years starting price is based on the average of this year, not the price of the player at the end of the season.

For comparison sakes someone that averaged 102 in 2011 was priced at around 550K at the start of this year. At the moment Rockliff is averaging around that score so you would think he will be much more than 460K.

What I'm hoping for is that Rockliff is given mid/fwd status and then Vossy puts him back on the ball. He could be next years beams, a mid/fwd averaging around 120 and priced around 550K at the start of the year.

14. Yamumluvsbigcox

Spot on Owen Rockliff will be around &#36;550000 thinking Morton from Sydney might be cheap just played 1 game as sub and kicked 70 goals in neafl this year so far

15. Yamumluvsbigcox

How about daisy Thomas but think beams and sidebottom are taking his points

16. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Zaha still has a high average and has played too many games to get an injury discount.

17. pete_d

pete_d New Member

Lots on options for long term injured and recovering from injuries.

Robbie Gray, Mark Le Cras, Gary Rohan, Jason Winderlich, Travis Varcoe, Anthony Morabito, Luke Hodge, Colin Sylvia, David Swallow, Nathan Fyfe

Matt Leuenberger/Zac Smith could be a useful 2/3rd ruck combo supporting a premium. Surely Hudson and Fraser are close to retirement/pasture.

18. Yamumluvsbigcox

Hodgey put an extra 50 grand on his starting price for next year with his big score against GC just hope he gets the vest before finals ! On koby Stevens think he will go but hasn't got games this year due to his questionable disposal and injury , might get a game at a lower placed Melbourne club

19. TigersTooTough

Reckon young Koby would be a good get for the Bulldogs. From memory, he isn't too much of an in and under player is he? I think he is more outside which is definitely what the Bulldogs need. In that team, he might be a good buy SC-wise. Also think that there is a fair chance Nathan Foley will leave the Tigers which is bad for us but he would be a great acquisition in SC (unless he goes to the Bombers. The Weapon will make him tear every single muscle in his injury-prone body):)

20. Yamumluvsbigcox

Nope koby is an in and under player not so much outside mid maybe a team like essendon would use him for the grunt work inside so seagulls like Stanton could benifit . But with kobys injury history the weapon would ruin him too :)