2012 Supercoach Team of the Year

Discussion in 'AFL' started by malbi, Sep 3, 2012.

1. malbi

malbi Member

For a bit of fun I have put together the Supercoach Team of the Year. This takes the 7 best defenders (by average no matter how many games), 6 best midfielders, 2 best ruckmen and 7 best forwards and puts them into a team structure. For good measure I have added the next 3 highest players overall (usually midfielders) as emergencies.

B: H. Shaw (Coll), B. Deledio (Rich), B. Waters (WC)
    HB: H. Scotland (Carl), B. Goddard (St K), A. Carrazzo (Carl)
    C: J. Watson (Ess), D. Swan (Coll), J. Kennedy (Syd)
    HF: P. Dangerfield (Adel), L. Franklin (Haw), D. Beams (Coll)
    F: R. O'Keefe (Syd), M. Pavlich (Frem), S. Sidebottom (Coll)
    Foll: N. Naitanui (WC), S. Pendlebury (Coll), G. Ablett (GC)
    Int: G. Birchall (Haw), J. Selwood (Geel), I. Maric (Rich), J. Roughead (Haw)
    Emerg: T. Cotchin (Rich), S. Tuck (Rich), M. Boyd (WB)

I know that Deledio and Goddard in the key back positions are a little awkward, but someone has to go there. It's a good looking team nonetheless. There are a few players here that are reaching elite levels for the first time and will be worth watching in the future.

How many of these players will get All Australian selection is an interesting question? Being selected in this Supercoach Team of the Year though holds more honour in my opinion. :)

2. graeme

graeme Guest

very nice idea rhino, I wonder what the team would have cost before round 1?

3. canada_blues

canada_blues New Member

For those 25 players, you'd be looking at a starting cost of $13,607,200.

Interestingly enough, most of the players listed were already in the top echelon for their position at the start of the year - just goes to show that not many players make that jump to elite, even though there's lots of pretenders (Stanton) during the year. I've listed the players with their pre-round 1 rank in brackets (with MPP selected as forward or back).

Defenders: Goddard (1); Scotland (2); Delidio (3); Shaw (4); Birchall (8); Carrazzo (10); Waters (35).
    Midfielders: Pendlebury (1); Ablett (2); Swan (3); Boyd (7); Selwood (12); Watson (21); Cotchin (34); Kennedy (41); Tuck (83)
    Forwards: Franklin (1); Pavlich (5); O'Keefe (6); Roughead (7); Beams (10); Sidebottom (29); Dangerfield (38)
    Ruck: Naitanui (8); Maric (34)

4. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

How much does the team differ if you select players based on total points scored rather than averages? Anyone able to put that team together for comparisons sake please?

5. graeme

graeme Guest

many thanks canada_blue, a thought provoking analysis. I suspected it was way too expensive. I guess if you had done well with rookie choices (Zorko, Treloar and others) you could have set up a team that would have comprehensively beaten Powertothepeople. Not detracting from his achievement but thinking of an optimal team to compare to the winning team. Something to think about anyway. I think his team was worth more at year end than the figure you quote for year start.

6. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Love your work but true reflection of team of year would be Total Points, not averages. Afterall its total points that wins you the comp!

7. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Alrighty then, I found some free time (yay me!!!) so here's the 2012 All Australian Supercoach team based on overall points scored. As such, specific positions are not relevant, just the general area of the field.

Defenders:
    B Deledio (Richmond, 2566), H Scotland (Carlton, 2102), B Goddard (St Kilda, 2024), S Hurn (West Coast, 2010), P Hanley (Brisbane, 1995), C Enright (Geelong, 1972)

Midfield:
    G Ablett (Gold Coast, 2768), J Watson (Essendon, 2661), J Kennedy (Sydney, 2644), T Cotchin (Richmond, 2558), S Tuck (Richmond, 2522)

Ruckman:
    D Cox (West Coast, 2470)

Forwards:
    P Dangerfield (Adelaide, 2615), D Beams (Collingwood, 2581), M Pavlich (Fremantle, 2331), S Sidebottom (Collingwood, 2231), R O'Keefe (Sydney, 2180), H Bennell (Gold Coast, 2146)

Bench:
    M Boyd (Western, Mid, 2491), I Maric (Richmond, Ruck, 2382), B Harvey (North Melbourne, Forward, 2101), M Johnson (Fremantle, Back, 1967, Sub)

Emergencies:
    K Jack (Sydney, Mid, 2473), S Thompson (Adelaide, Mid, 2430), A Swallow (North Melbourne, Mid, 2406)

Comparing the averages to the total points:
    Backs: Deledio, Goddard, and Scotland make both teams
    Mids and rovers: Watson, Kennedy, and Ablett keep their spots
    Ruck: Swap one Eagle for another
    Fwds: Dangerfield, Beams, O'Keefe, Pavlich, and Sidebottom all keep their spots.
    Bench and emergencies: Maric and Boyd make the bench both times.
    Meanwhile: Cotchin and Tuck make both teams, but only as emergencies in one of them.

8. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

thanks for your work jpk and rhino,

personally i'd choose my ALL - OZ team based on the points scored by the players, with say 55-70 points allocated to any games missed durign the year, as thats essentially how your team woudl score in suprecoach if you had a plyign rookie on the bench to replace them

this means that my team would have a few chnages from both of the teams above, but woudl be unlikely to have too many that werent in either

9. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

by strating with 15 of Rhinos first 22 (ie ecl emgs) I can trade up to his All-OZ team in only 9 trades !

Rd 1 Team – salary = $9,639,400 ($360,600 left over)
    DEF - Deledio, Birchall, Carrazzo, Waters, B Ellis, Mohr, Bugg (Morris, Paine)
    MID - Swan, J Selwood, Watson, Josh P Kennedy, Greene, Shiel (James McDonald, Magner)
    RUCK - Naitanui, Ivan Maric (Giles, Jared Redden)
    FWD - Franklin, Jared Roughhead, Dayne Beams, Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Porplyzia, Milera (Cameron, Smedts D/F)
    ==> left out initially = Scotland, Goddard, H Shaw, Ablett, Pendles, Pav and ROK

Trade Prior to round 8 (1st trade)
    Magner MID $303,800 ==> Ryan O’Keefe M/F $446,100 (temporarily as M5) $218,300 left

Trades Prior to round 11 (2nd and 3rd trades)
    Giles RUC $443,2800 ==> Tom Campbell RUC $94,700 $566,800 left
    Bugg DEF $318,000 ==> Pavlich M/F $478,700 (as F6, Smedts to DEF) $406,100 left

Trades Prior to round 17 (4th and 5th trades)
    Mohr DEF $300,900 ==> Scotland DEF $478,400 (as D5) $228,600 left
    Shiel MID $387,600 ==> Ablett MID $600,000 (as M6, mids completed)) $16,200 left

Trades Prior to round 19 (6th and 7th trades)
    Porps FWD $459,400 ==> Dunnell MID $120,200 (as m6, ROK to F7, fwds completed) $348,400 left
    Ellis DEF $335,700 ==> Goddard DEF $431,100 (as D6) $253,000 left

Trades Prior to round 23 (8th and 9th trades)
    Morris DEF $328,300 ==> H Shaw DEF $467,600 (as D7, def completed) $120,700 left
    Greene MID $515,000 ==> Pendles MID $577,500 (as M6, MIDS completed) $58,200 left

giving us Rhinos All-Oz team (excl emgs) in Rd 23
    DEF - Deledio, Birchall, Carrazzo, Waters, Scotland, Goddard, H Shaw (Smedts D/F, Paine)
    MID - Swan, J Selwood, Watson, Josh P Kennedy, Ablett, Pendles (James McDonald, Dunell)
    RUCK - Naitanui, Ivan Maric (Jared Redden, T Campbell)
    FWD - Franklin, Jared Roughhead, Dayne Beams, Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Pavlich, ROK, (Milera, Cameron)

10. malbi

malbi Member

Thanks for the discussion guys. The difference with jpk's team and my team is essentially the players that were out for a number of games with injury, e.g. Carrazzo, Pendlebury and Swan. The thing is you know that some of the best players will get injuries. It is just that at the start of the year you don't know which ones will succumb.

Thanks for the trading example TTH. It is quite simple isn't it? All you need to do is select a good squad to start with, some good rookies, not rush the trades (as I have been guilty of doing) and you can get to the best side with limited trades. Obviously, you don't want to take all year to get there. You also don't want to pick up pretenders like Stanton.

What these teams showed me is that there are premiums that continually make the best every year: Deledio, Goddard, Ablett, Selwood, Swan, Pendles, Cox, Franklin, Pavlich, ROK, etc. Then we see the newcomers in the list: Carrazzo, Waters, Watson, JPK, Cotchin, Naitanui, Beams, Sidebottom, Dangerfield. Will these players continue their rise next year? Many of them will I think. Then the question is who will be the newcomers next year?