Diamonds in the rough 2013

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Yamumluvsbigcox, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

Last year I put forward a few players that i thought could be diamonds in the rough , which are players that could become premiums that are at a reduced starting price . For the purpose of this thread premiums are 100+ for mids and rucks and 90+ for fwd and back . These type of players are very important when going for overall rank ! Last year I put forward Hayes, Shuey and Jack if I only listened to myself my season could have been so different !
    2013 Mids
    Luke Hodge - After an injury interrupted 2012 Hodge is at a bargin price even if he is only a mid there is value to be had ! Watch his pre season if he is over his injurys get on

David Mundy - after breaking his leg 2011 Mundys 2012 season was a struggle until the last month and finals where his form was outstanding another bargin on a lot of radars if he fits your bye structure could be a unique.

Tom libertore - has all the attributes on the field to have a break out year . Lots of tackles and contested possessions champion data will score him well if he can get his off field issues sorted could be a chance for 100+ average but it would take some balls to pick him
    So who are your diamonds ?

2. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

This could make my job much easier! Was planning on writing bit of article on this topic soon, well ive been thinking about it for while now but never got around to it!! If its alright with you mate I might turn it into main post on front page later today or over weekend. Will get more views on there.

BTW my breakout player is Arryn Siposs. Should take over the role Goddard played and when he played there late in season his averages were very very good.

3. Just so you know Thunda I'm working on an article about the trade period and who could benefit or suffer from moving clubs, should be up early next week.

Means you don't have to focus on any of those blokes either if you don't want.

My tips for diamonds in the rough are Ward and J Grimes, so both aren't really groundbreaking. Ward's already averaging over 100 but I'm tipping him to go 120+ and Grimey has looked like threatening for a while but never quite made it. He averaged under 90 in 2012 but averaged around 110 for the last 7 or 8 games of the season

4. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

BB did you want to send me message with who you have included so I don't double up on them?

5. Yeah I can do that mate, I'll get it to you this arvo

6. Swalloitdown

Swalloitdown Member

@Yamum, I have both Mundy and Hodge on my list along with Luenburger and Rischitelli who will fly under the radar.

7. Yamumluvsbigcox

@SkT sure mate use it would be great I was going to do the backs forwards and rucks as well 3 of each

8. Yamumluvsbigcox

Defenders
    Nathan Bock - could be a fwd also at a bargin basement price for a player that has averaged over 90 three times . Will he be back for the start of the year after his nasty broken leg ? Will he miss games probably yes as he has never played all 22 . Fortune favours the brave but not the stupid
    Use caution !

Chris yarran - 2011 he averaged 87 but due to suspected turf toe he had a very poor 2012 where he was subbed and used as a sub . There were talks of him moving to the midfield but I think under malthouse he will be used as an attacking halfback ala Heath shaw

Cameron Pederson -averaged 84 in 2011 with 4 tons and a 99 with a highest of 137 so we know he go big . This year for whatever reason only played 2 games . Melbourne chased him pretty hard at trade week so you would think he would be a regular in 2013 almost a lock if he gets games .

9. Yamumluvsbigcox

Forwards
    Travis Cloke - after a poor season with constant scrutiny over his contract Travis will be out to prove himself next season . At his best he is very good but sometimes he is an absolute crab . He will be on a lot of people never again list but I can see him improving his average

Adam Goodes - had his first real soft tissue injuries this year which dropped his average by almost 20 points . With Sydney's depth in the midfield Goodes may be rotated less through the middle which may reduce his output . But he is a gun so don't be surprised if he has a Stella season

Colin Sylvia - early season injury affected his scoring but came home with a storm playing majority of the time in the middle . Sylvia is a bit a of a roller coaster ride every season but is good value if he looks like playing on the ball

10. Yamumluvsbigcox

@swallowitdown Riscatelli was used a a tagger this year may be fools gold

11. Yamumluvsbigcox

Rucks
    Shane Mumford - averaged 114 in 2011 where he dominated ruck taps and generally did what he wanted due to his size . Last year he was injured and with Mike Pike splitting the ruck load stole his points . If he looks fit and is the solo ruck strongly consider

Matthew Leuinburger - if he is fit pick him plain and simple no bigger bargin next year

12. Yamumluvsbigcox

Hodge may miss the first month of the season may be perfect timing for a rookie upgrade before round 7

13. graeme

graeme Guest

much appreciated thoughts here Yamum, should he come back fit Travis Varcoe would be close to rookie priced and for mine be worth a punt.

14. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

Reckon if he gets through the pre-season unscathed, Brent Staker is a lock for mine. Should be very cheap and a handy point scorer.

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Hows Daniel Menzel tracking? Surely one to look out for if he's available for the start of the season.

16. Yamumluvsbigcox

Cats said Daniel menzal is doing well but they are in no rush with the 21 year old . He is not really a diamond in the rough more like lime stone ! Not much value , soft and crumbles easly

17. gbjmarsh

gbjmarsh Guest

Yamumluvsbigcox wrote:
    Last year I put forward a few players that i thought could be diamonds in the rough , which are players that could become premiums that are at a reduced starting price . For the purpose of this thread premiums are 100+ for mids and rucks and 90+ for fwd and back . These type of players are very important when going for overall rank ! Last year I put forward Hayes, Shuey and Jack if I only listened to myself my season could have been so different !
    2013 Mids
    Luke Hodge - After an injury interrupted 2012 Hodge is at a bargin price even if he is only a mid there is value to be had ! Watch his pre season if he is over his injurys get on

David Mundy - after breaking his leg 2011 Mundys 2012 season was a struggle until the last month and finals where his form was outstanding another bargin on a lot of radars if he fits your bye structure could be a unique.

Tom libertore - has all the attributes on the field to have a break out year . Lots of tackles and contested possessions champion data will score him well if he can get his off field issues sorted could be a chance for 100+ average but it would take some balls to pick him
    So who are your diamonds ?

Gaff (W.C.E.) is all class only injury will stop him from becoming a diamond this his third year

18. gummers

gummers New Member

Did I hear some chatter that Embley (283k) is having the best pre season of his life after a fantasy shocker in 2012 of 6 games with an average of about ~50... value for money and surely is still in the Eagles best 22?
    EDIT: And, if he comes back firing does that mean the possible improvements of Gaff, Shuey and Selwood could slow/reverse?

19. Yamumluvsbigcox

Embley firing won't affect selwood and shuey as they accumulate a lot of there score on the inside and gaff gets a lot of his possies back of centre where as Embley is a more forward of centre . Players like wellingham and rosa will be the competition for Embleys points and players like lecras won't be pushing into the mid rotation as much

20. DC

DC Member

gummers wrote:
    Did I hear some chatter that Embley (283k) is having the best pre season of his life after a fantasy shocker in 2012 of 6 games with an average of about ~50... value for money and surely is still in the Eagles best 22?
    EDIT: And, if he comes back firing does that mean the possible improvements of Gaff, Shuey and Selwood could slow/reverse? Question is more, would they give Embley the vest every now and then or just save it for their young players.