News at the Doggies

Discussion in 'AFL' started by FlyBoy15, Feb 16, 2013.

1. FlyBoy15

FlyBoy15 Guest

<p style='font: inherit;]Hi all <p style='font: inherit;]just wondering what the backlines going to look like down at the kennel this year. Obviously a position has opened up with the recent departure of Lake however Morris seems to be on the mend and barring any further injury looks to be back in the side. <p style='font: inherit;]Michael Talia seems to be being groomed for a role in the backline spending a lot of time with Matty Scarlett this preseason and also having gained in strength and increased his tank this preseason also. However there is also Brett Goodes, a mature aged rookie who you would think has been recruited with a role in mind but still has to be upgraded from the rookie list to be eligible. <p style='font: inherit; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469);] <p style='font: inherit; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469);]Also any news on Koby Stevens?

2. huvaduva

huvaduva New Member

Hi FLYBOY15, 4 of the back 6 baring injury are Markovic, Roughead, Morris, Wood. The final two spots are either Talia/Roberts as taller options and Howard/Murphy as running options. It's actually quite tricky to pick because the likes of Addison, Pearce, Lower and Hunter could all find themselves down there at some point. I don't think it leaves much room for a rookie upgrade in Goodes IMO I suspect that Talia will get the nod more often the Roberts and that Murphy will play more forward than back. My guess is also that Williams is going to be played forward this year. As for Koby Stevens - I've got no idea. I haven't heard a thing and I missed the family day on Sunday so didn't get a chance to ask him. He's not being mentioned as injured, but also somehow missed the extended squads last week...

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

The only certainties for back six that I can see are Roughead and Morris. Markovic probably plays (but isn't likely to set the world on fire) more often than not if fit. I think Goodes is in the mix to start R1 in the back six also. Murphy and Williams have been touted to play forward this year, but I suspect one or both will play back some of the time. Throw a blanket over Wood - Howard - Talia - Veszpremi, none of these guys has ever set the world on fire but some of them will play games in the back six. Tom Young was recruited to the club to play in the backline also. Still need to see more of NAB action to get a read on the situation. At this stage I'd suggest: Goodes - Markovic - Morris Wood - Roughead - Howard