Champions League (ORFFL & ORFFA)

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by thokash, Feb 11, 2013.

1. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Because if I joined, my team would probably be called theEdenKiller Whales, if Eden's not rural enough,theWestern Mustone Rock Martians.

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

thokash wrote:<br/>So I remember a while ago our fearless commissioner brought up the idea of a Champions League competition (ie. best of the best) between the ORFFL and ORFFA. &#160;I assume that thread has long disappeared since moving to the new site, so just wanted to start getting some discussion rolling in here. [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]ORFFA members obviously welcome and encouraged to post. [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]
    [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]H probably has an idea of how he wants to run it, so might wait for him to pop his head in before we get things moving. &#160;Lots to discuss though before the start of the season so thought I'd get in now, especially if we want to include the NAB cup somehow (unlikely).
    P.S. Why hasn't there been any interest by other TS members in forming another league? &#160;If you are reading this you don't know what you are missing!&#160; Love the idea of a Champions League for teams of both leagues.

3. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

anthak wrote:
    thokash wrote:
    So I remember a while ago our fearless commissioner brought up the idea of a Champions League competition (ie. best of the best) between the ORFFL and ORFFA. I assume that thread has long disappeared since moving to the new site, so just wanted to start getting some discussion rolling in here. [span style='line-height: 1.3; font-size: 14px;]ORFFA members obviously welcome and encouraged to post. [span style='line-height: 1.3; font-size: 14px;]
    [span style='line-height: 1.3; font-size: 14px;]H probably has an idea of how he wants to run it, so might wait for him to pop his head in before we get things moving. Lots to discuss though before the start of the season so thought I'd get in now, especially if we want to include the NAB cup somehow (unlikely). P.S. Why hasn't there been any interest by other TS members in forming another league? If you are reading this you don't know what you are missing! Love the idea of a Champions League for teams of both leagues. <p class='Quote]I want in, how do I join?

4. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

anthak wrote:
    thokash wrote:
    So I remember a while ago our fearless commissioner brought up the idea of a Champions League competition (ie. best of the best) between the ORFFL and ORFFA. I assume that thread has long disappeared since moving to the new site, so just wanted to start getting some discussion rolling in here. [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]ORFFA members obviously welcome and encouraged to post. [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]
    [span style='font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.3;]H probably has an idea of how he wants to run it, so might wait for him to pop his head in before we get things moving. Lots to discuss though before the start of the season so thought I'd get in now, especially if we want to include the NAB cup somehow (unlikely). P.S. Why hasn't there been any interest by other TS members in forming another league? If you are reading this you don't know what you are missing! Love the idea of a Champions League for teams of both leagues. +1 , keen to here more details :) Holky I'l leave it up to Hornsy or TiB to explain, or someone else who can do it better then me!

5. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

HOLKY wrote:
    <p class='Quote]I want in, how do I join? As a closed 18-team/coach keeper league, to join the ORFFL you kind of have to wait until someone dies, quits or is sacked.
    There are plans in the works to franchise this shit out so that people can create their own leagues and draft their own teams in a snazzy, easy to use interface...
    ...but we've all been a bit busy with the site changeover and yanno, life. So that could be a year away from getting up.
    Feel free to create your own in the meantime if you're keen. That's how the ORFFA got started.
    We'll also put you on the death/quit/sacked waiting list.

6. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Hornsy wrote:
    HOLKY wrote:
    <p class='Quote]I want in, how do I join? As a closed 18-team/coach keeper league, to join the ORFFL you kind of have to wait until someone dies, quits or is sacked. There are plans in the works to franchise this shit out so that people can create their own leagues and draft their own teams in a snazzy, easy to use interface... ...but we've all been a bit busy with the site changeover and yanno, life. So that could be a year away from getting up. Feel free to create your own in the meantime if you're keen. That's how the ORFFA got started. We'll also put you on the death/quit/sacked waiting list. Well, I have got my own draft league at school, but no one else at myschoolis into AFL SC. The codeis 647098, but I look forward to being the next ORFFL/A coach.

7. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

The Champions League sounds like a good idea and will create more interaction between the two leagues so if it goes ahead you can count the Cradle Mountain Devils in.

8. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Amazing what you find when you grope around in the dark looking for the rules. Obviously this supplants my suggestion for a one-on-one involving the two top teams. Thanks for letting me know H. H. proposal good. Would add that we should have up until the byes to sort out the details and the fixture. And that should give us enough time to uncover who is in and who is demented. Would also like to suggest a parallel comp for the bottom 10 teams, if it is not too messy from an organizational sense. I would be willing to drop out so that the numbers are evened up with the ORFFL recalcitrant.

9. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

What?
    I didn't start the thread.
    All I did was suggest a hypothetical structure if hypotheticallyit ended up going ahead.
    Realistically, it's doubtful that'll proceed given that various ORFFL coaches have expressed concerns over such a collaboration between the leagues - concerns that have simply been scoffed at rather than considered with anything approaching objectivity.

10. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Hornsy wrote:
    What? I didn't start the thread. All I did was suggest a hypothetical structure if hypotheticallyit ended up going ahead. Realistically, it's doubtful that'll proceed given that various ORFFL coaches have expressed concerns over such a collaboration between the leagues - concerns that have simply been scoffed at rather than considered with anything approaching objectivity. 'So I remember a while ago our fearless commissioner brought up the idea of a Champions League competition (ie. best of the best) between the ORFFL and ORFFA.' Difficult to be objective with a hypothetical and doubly difficult to be objective with 'concerns' that are clearly not objective in themselves. Mind you, only one has been aired here. Also, I am certain that no one from ORFFA was seeking collaboration with ORFFL; they were suggesting competition. Unfortunate, given that quite a number of coaches from both sides expressed support/interest, far outweighing the naysayers we have seen so far. We shall continue our 'collaboration' with the more broad-minded members of ORFFL through the usual channels. They have been a major source of assistance to our league and their endeavours have not gone unappreciated. Understand your need for internal solidarity, but nature will inevitably take its course.

11. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Hornsy wrote:
    What?
    All I did was suggest a hypothetical structure if hypotheticallyit ended up going ahead.
    Realistically, it's doubtful that'll proceed given that various ORFFL coaches have expressed concerns over such a collaboration between the leagues - concerns that have simply been scoffed at rather than considered with anything approaching objectivity. I saw one negative comment, it was scoffed at with cause, I have not seen a rational or logical argument from anyone involved in the ORFFL against the idea. The only other comments expressed within this thread were supportive, this was decried elsewhere? I think the intelligent majority would like a chance to properly explore the idea, which was clearly thokash's thought in the OP. I don't see any reason it would take us 12 weeks to agree on a concept andimplementit, some of us can even tie shoelaces, without velcro..

12. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Lenh191 wrote:
    I don't see any reason it would take us 12 weeks to agree on a concept andimplementit, some of us can even tie shoelaces, without velcro.. I thought Terry can't even see his shoelaces due to an oncoming eye condition, velcro or not.

13. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

It's been a long day. Please, bear with me as I try to respond.
    Terry, couch it in whatever language you wish, but a Champions League/competition between the ORFFL and the ORFFA necessitates some form of collaboration between the 2 leagues and the people involved. That's all I'm saying.
    5 or 6 coaches from each league have expressed interest in the concept while from the ORFFL 3 coaches have expressed clear reservations about the worth of participating - SKT and P_L owing to not wanting to sully the ORFFL with the ORFFA (in the original lost thread that thokash refers to in his OP) and Lucas because, in general, he believes the disparity between the good teams and the poor teams in the ORFFA is too great to lend itself to a fair and worthwhile competition with teams from the ORFFL. You may not like these points of view, but they have validity simply because people have them.
    I put this idea on the back burner last year because I feel that if everyone in the ORFFL/ORFFA isn't onboard, it's not really worth doing. The options would be conscripting teams that don't want to play, or having a Champions League without some of the champions- P_L and STK's teams are a fair chance to make the finals, Lucas' not so much. I feel like either of these options would be farcical, which is not really something I want to be involved with little loan organise.
    My personal view - and that's all it is - is that if all the participating coaches from both leagues are up for it, then let's work out a way to do it and a sensible timeline to roll it out. I prefer this over committing to do it and then trying to convince everyone of its merits before the deadline approaches.
    Y'all may want to go about it a different way, but remember that no one has to be involved if they don't want to.

14. Len

Thank you for the clarification Hornsy.
    Numerically and from a purely point driven perspective it runsindependentlyof both leagues, anddoesn'trequire compliance or even active involvement. Unless someone from either league is tanking within their own competition their involvement isguaranteed, whether by desire or not. Clearly buy-in and active involvement is going to lead to a lot more fun and is the desired outcome..
    I would love to hear a rational, factual argument as to why we shouldn't do it, what 'pollution' of either comp would be caused (and how), and it what way the teams in either comp are factually unbalanced compared to the other.

15. anthak

I would like to think we could come to some sort of agreement on a format and commitment from all 36 coaches. <br/>We would need to have a reasonable discussion to work it out and it may get a bit messy and it may not. <br/> <br/>This thread has been open a while and from the reaction to Lucas' comment, there hasn't been much respect for dissent, so it's kinda understandable we haven't heard from StKT or PL. <br/> <br/> <br/>It would be good to have an actual discussion about the reasons people do and don't want to be involved. Dissent needs to be explored. <br/> <br/>I personally think that it is unfair and an abuse of consensus for about 10% of coaches to block this getting through, cause I (and many others) think it would be a lot of fun - and it's not as though it's gonna take any extra personal commitment outside of the organisers, except for agreement for each team to be included. We wouldn't need to select a different team or anything. <br/>Coaches involved wouldn't need to divert attention away from their own league unless they wanted to. <br/> <br/>Let's get approval from anyone who has shown dissent and agree on a format and get this thing going. <br/> <br/>I agree with H that we should not go ahead if there are some teams that aren't in it. <br/> <br/>Can anyone who does not support the Champions League proposal please speak up and even make a counter proposal if you have one. <br/>

16. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Lenh191 wrote:
    Clearly buy-in and active involvement is going to lead to a lot more fun and is the desired outcome. For me, that's the only outcome.
    Again you may feel differently, but that's the bottom line for me.

17. Len

I agree, I meant to imply it would/could easily survive 1 or 2 malcontents is all..

18. anthak

Lucas wrote:<br/>Not interested as a few ORFFA teams are stronger than ORFFL simply because a few teams didn't really care and they got easier pickings. We're not working from the same pool so basically stick to your own game ORFFA and when a spot becomes available in the ORFFL I'm sure you'll be the first ones filling the vacancy.&#160; I want to ask, Lucas, what makes you think that some teams in the ORFFA weren't interested during our initial draft?

19. anthak

Lenh191 wrote:<br/>Hornsy wrote:
    What?&#160;
    All I did was suggest a hypothetical structure if hypothetically&#160;it ended up going ahead.
    Realistically, it's doubtful that'll proceed given that various ORFFL coaches have expressed concerns over such a collaboration between the leagues - concerns that have simply been scoffed at rather than considered with anything approaching objectivity.&#160; &#160; I saw one negative comment, it was scoffed at with cause, I have not seen a rational or logical argument from anyone involved in the ORFFL against the idea. The only other comments expressed within this thread were supportive, this was decried elsewhere? I think the intelligent majority would like a chance to properly explore the idea, which was clearly thokash's thought in the OP. I don't see any reason it would take us 12 weeks to agree on a concept and&#160;implement&#160;it, some of us can even tie shoelaces, without velcro..&#160; Btw, I reckon this was well put

20. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

I dont remember having opinion on this before, but thats not to say I didnt as just cant remember! Do I have to do anything extra then what I already do for ORFFL? If I dont then I really couldnt care either way, but if it involves more work for me then count me out as ive got enough on my plate as it is!!